• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite (recent) game that makes you feel OP while challenging?

Boneless

I like games that can make you feel like you're totally OP, but at the same time stay very challenging. Many games of late do not really do this anymore though which is disappointing, so looking for tips:

Good examples:
1. Elden Ring - Builds can feel broken and OP and then the next minute you are stomped on
2. They Are Billions - Extremely challenging, but turrets and upgrade make you feel powerfull
3. OG FF7 - Classic turn based in general is better in making you feel powerfull
4. Dota2 - You can become very OP here and feel godlike

Bad examples
1. New GoW. While I enjoy the game, I think it left a lot untapped in the power fantasy
2. FF7 Rebirth. Great game, but it does not give you that sense of powerful like the original.
3. Diablo4 - At times, it did this but overall missed the mark

IAmRei

I remember a time when i feel OP is in FF tactics, which i had ability to counter, and i got 250 damage from boss, and counter with barehand which overkilled the final boss 1250 hit. my brave is 100 at the time. i love the game which i can over powered enemies, but FF tactics is not hardest game. other than that, SD Gundam Generation overworld, which i use grunt MS, Jesta to overkill warship and iconic villains tenfold from my starting damage numbers. i grind a lot for that feeling : ))

last time i recall, i did it on Elden ring, with fire 2h sword blasphemous sword (?) i forgot. i Overkill many enemies with that sword.
I forgot what other game tho. I mostly remember older game let me overkill enemies, yet the game itself not easy games.

that feeling alone is worthed in video games for me.

IAmRei

A man of taste, I see. Nothing more satisfying than seeing a Super Critical hit wreck people with and be able to move afterwards and do it again.

This one’s a bit more recent.

Thanks man, i never see other people playing this game here locally beside my friend who knew this series because he also love gundam since e highschool with me. We enjoyed the game even its jap only vers.

I havent bought ggen genesis. I like ggen spirit, maybe the genesis will do as well( very ppricey here) Back when i play my first GGen (Gen Zero or F, i think) i overkill many enemies with combination of amuro and rx178 titan. He is alone, and fought many ms until his ms energy is off. Back before, there are no EN regen iirc. And its like he is pincered by feddie and zeons like about 20 each : )) dang i felt like badass back before.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Baldur's Gate 3. My first playthrough felt rather tough, especially in Act 2, since I didn't really know what I was doing (my character was a barbarian with a paltry 13 AC until the end 💀).

I'm on my third playthrough currently and there are so many ways that you can build your party, utilize item synergies, or just straight-up use cheese to trivialize much of the game, it's crazy.

killatopak

Thanks man, i never see other people playing this game here locally beside my friend who knew this series because he also love gundam since e highschool with me. We enjoyed the game even its jap only vers.

I havent bought ggen genesis. I like ggen spirit, maybe the genesis will do as well( very ppricey here) Back when i play my first GGen (Gen Zero or F, i think) i overkill many enemies with combination of amuro and rx178 titan. He is alone, and fought many ms until his ms energy is off. Back before, there are no EN regen iirc. And its like he is pincered by feddie and zeons like about 20 each : )) dang i felt like badass back before.
The new ones are good as well. I think my only issue is that they basically divided them into two in the past two entries. One is basically all UC and other is all the alternate universe gundams. I would love to have them all in the same game.

The game is definitely grind heavy if you wanna feel OP and despite being OP, some missions are extremely hard especially when they restrict you to use story units in the hardest difficulties like the battle of A Bao Qu for example.

Last edited:

Boneless

I remember a time when i feel OP is in FF tactics, which i had ability to counter, and i got 250 damage from boss, and counter with barehand which overkilled the final boss 1250 hit.

Counter materia in OG ff7 did this as well for me and of course, omnislash.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Balatro when you’re popping off and all the jokers are triggering over and over

boxing-ref.gif

IAmRei

Counter materia in OG ff7 did this as well for me and of course, omnislash.
Ah yes, i also remember in 7 i use renzokugiri, 4x slash(?) I forgot, but i also use it in ff6 to kill kefka by locke, 7000+ hp x 4 slash x 2 ultima weapon haha dang awesome games XD

I love the games like this

Khasha

Neo Member
Halo Infinite
I like games that can make you feel like you're totally OP, but at the same time stay very challenging. Many games of late do not really do this anymore though which is disappointing, so looking for tips:

Good examples:
1. Elden Ring - Builds can feel broken and OP and then the next minute you are stomped on
2. They Are Billions - Extremely challenging, but turrets and upgrade make you feel powerfull
3. OG FF7 - Classic turn based in general is better in making you feel powerfull
4. Dota2 - You can become very OP here and feel godlike

Bad examples
1. New GoW. While I enjoy the game, I think it left a lot untapped in the power fantasy
2. FF7 Rebirth. Great game, but it does not give you that sense of powerful like the original.
3. Diablo4 - At times, it did this but overall missed the mark

I'm having a very hard time making sense of your criteria when it comes to good and bad examples. With that being said, i dont know if this is your cup of tea but for anyone else that is curious as to what has been one of gaming's best kept secret's this week...

Halo Infinite: Campaign and Multiplayer
The new networking model was implemented earlier this week and it is FANTASTIC. The game has an increadible dev team that has literally saved a sinking ship that was this game midway in season 4.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In most recently Unicorn Overlord on Expert difficulty…..I managed to beat Amalia on coliseum despite being very underleveled because good set up in my squad.

Last edited:
Nioh 2.

I dunno how many folks made it to NG+5 but that is where the game really shines.

When you first entering it, it feels pretty much insurmountable but as you progress the endgame gears and builds you eventually become a god.

The insane depth of Nioh 2 RPG and progression system is criminally underappreciated.

KàIRóS

Interesting thread OP.

I would say Devil May Cry, Star Ocean (actually any Tri Ace game) and Xenoblade Chronicles is what you're looking for.

You also mention OG FFVII so I guess you're looking for something similar to the Materia system, in that case maybe check out the Trails/Legend of Heroes JRPGs they have a fairly similar system and are turn based.

Boneless

In most recently Unicorn Overlord on Expert difficulty…..I managed to beat Amalia on coliseum despite being very underleveled because good set up in my squad.

I am keen to get unicorn overlord, good to hear that this may fit the bill. Turn based/tactical games seem to give that overpowered feeling easier.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Most Resident Evil games on the highest difficulties are this for me. Start off underpowered, low on ammo and supplies, and you don't know when enemy encounters will happen. By your third playthrough, you're sprinting through with an infinite ammo machine gun (which you got by earning--not putting in cheat codes).

You still have to stay on your toes because one or two hits will take you down, but the games go from survival horror to action movie, and the stark contrast makes me feel powerful.

Hemingwayoffbase

Gold Member
Midnight Suns

There were a few combat encounters where it felt like I was living out childhood super hero fantasies.

Other encounters would kick my ass.

It has the great difficulty slider from Diablo where you can keep adjusting it higher and higher to meet you where you’re at.

Fbh

Not that recent but I think Hades is good at this.
It can be quite challenging, but eventually you'll get the right build with a bunch of upgrades that have a lot of synergy, and suddenly you become unstoppable.

The first time you get to Hades with an OP build and it's like
6.gif

Is really satisfying.

Boneless

Not that recent but I think Hades is good at this.
It can be quite challenging, but eventually you'll get the right build with a bunch of upgrades that have a lot of synergy, and suddenly you become unstoppable.

The first time you get to Hades with an OP build and it's like
6.gif

Is really satisfying.
Played and finished hades, really like the game but wouldve liked some more extreme abilities. In terms of feeling OP I think games like Vampire Survivor do that better.

Top Bottom