• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favourite book scenes

So I was doing a bit of reading and ended up rereading one of my favourite books and there's a scene that is so vivid in my head it's almost like I can remember seeing a movie and as we have a thread about movie scenes, why not book scenes as well.

The Wintersmith, by Sir Terry Pratchett.
Throughout the book Tiffany learns to "fold" heat through herself, granny weatherwax demonstrated it by folding the heat from a cup of tea to Tiffany's arm. At the end of the book while looking for her brother Tiffany folds the heat from a fire so she can get through the snow and finally comes face to face with the Wintersmith. In order for spring to happen she has to kill him, which she does with a kiss. This is the part I can see in my mind, as she kisses him she folds the heat of the sun through herself and destroys both the Wintersmith and his Palace. I've always visualised this as something akin to an orbital laser canon crossed with starlight from The Boys, with a touch of regeneration from Doctor Who.

Not the best write up of the scene but I'm trying to condense an entire book into a few lines. If you've read the book you'll get it, if you haven't read it then don't read my bit, read the book instead.

So what book scenes have stuck with you chaps and chapettes?

CloudNull

Banned
Riftwar saga.... can’t remember the book name but I highly recommend the original trilogy.

Scene is were Tomas is going on a murderous rampage as he is possessed by his elvish armor. Just slaughtering everyone and then stops at a child that reminds him of his childish friend Pug who you watch grow up throughout the trilogy.

I have read the series multiple times but I haven’t read the series in years yet this scene is still vividly scorched in my brain. Overall it wasn’t gruesome but just the dramatic weight that I felt during it has never left me.

It would be interesting to reread them and see if the scene still holds up as I am much older now.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I read the book so probably some details are wrong, but my favorite scene from Stephen King's novel Under the Dome was when Randolph and some police are in the middle of a shootout with Chef and another guy at a radio station on the top of a hill in the middle of the day. I think the radio station was turned into a meth lab and fortified with propane tanks. This is more or less the climax of the story since what ensues is a large explosion followed by a toxic firestorm, given the entire town is locked in by an impenetrable glass dome. I would say it's my favorite Stephen King novel. Just don't ask me about the TV show as I never watched it after finding out they changed a lot from the book.

Anyway, if you've ever read a Stephen King book then you know he's very good at painting scenes with his words. It makes for very enjoyable reading in my opinion.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Growth of the Soil by Hamsun.

There is a scene where Isak the farmer falls in the snow, messing up his leg, and gets stuck under a root in the middle of the forest. No one is around and he lies there for days, waiting to die. At one point, his neighbour who owns the farm not far from him walks by in the distance. Isak calls out, the neighbour turns his head and sees him, but the neighbour has always been frustrated with Isak and pretends he didn't hear Isak hollering out, walking off, leaving Isak to die. However, the best part of the whole thing, is that when the neighbour walks off, Isak doesn't scream out to him, he stays quiet because he's a stubborn guy who won't let the neighbour get the satisfaction of walking off while he is screaming. So Isak just lies there, pretending he didn't see the neighbour either.

It's showing some of the old stubborn and weird ways of people, how pride can slowly kill you because you refuse to let yourself be seen as vulnerable.

Cyberpunkd

Two super old ones:

The end of the Harpist in the Wind when the magic comes back

The end of the Farthest Shore where the first dragon carries Ged back home

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It's difficult to say.

The battle at the first of the first men in A Storm of Swords is up there. Such an intense moment in a book that is already full of epic and intense moments.

I'd also put up there a part of Kazuo Ishiguro's masterpiece, Remains of the Day.
The part where Stevens finds out about his father's death, but just carries on with his butler duties. You can tell he's absolutely crushed and it's painful watching him trying to suppress his emotions because of his warped sense of duty.

Also the crushing final act of Silence by Shusaku Endo.

And also Scrooge learning the tragic fate of Tiny Tim in the Dickens classic A Christmas Carol.....

......I honestly can't pick a favourite. If I'm not careful I'll be here all day and my list will be huge. I'll just leave the above as some of my favourites.

sircaw

Banned
Riftwar saga.... can’t remember the book name but I highly recommend the original trilogy.

Scene is were Tomas is going on a murderous rampage as he is possessed by his elvish armor. Just slaughtering everyone and then stops at a child that reminds him of his childish friend Pug who you watch grow up throughout the trilogy.

I have read the series multiple times but I haven’t read the series in years yet this scene is still vividly scorched in my brain. Overall it wasn’t gruesome but just the dramatic weight that I felt during it has never left me.

It would be interesting to reread them and see if the scene still holds up as I am much older now.
i think your talking about Magician, with Marcos the black, pug Thomas etc, Raymond e fiest, tremendous books :messenger_heart:

AngelaLifman

Neo Member
So I was doing a bit of reading and ended up rereading one of my favourite books and there's a scene that is so vivid in my head it's almost like I can remember seeing a movie and as we have a thread about movie scenes, why not book scenes as well.

The Wintersmith, by Sir Terry Pratchett.
Throughout the book Tiffany learns to "fold" heat through herself, granny weatherwax demonstrated it by folding the heat from a cup of tea to Tiffany's arm. At the end of the book while looking for her brother Tiffany folds the heat from a fire so she can get through the snow and finally comes face to face with the Wintersmith. In order for spring to happen she has to kill him, which she does with a kiss. This is the part I can see in my mind, as she kisses him she folds the heat of the sun through herself and destroys both the Wintersmith and his Palace. I've always visualised this as something akin to an orbital laser canon crossed with starlight from The Boys, with a touch of regeneration from Doctor Who.

Not the best write up of the scene but I'm trying to condense an entire book into a few lines. If you've read the book you'll get it, if you haven't read it then don't read my bit, read the book instead.

So what book scenes have stuck with you chaps and chapettes? This is a great idea, I really love reading fiction books. When I saw this post, I immediately remembered a scene from the book A Clockwork Orange. I also don’t want to tell you all, because it could be a spoiler for someone! Although, I would very much like to share, because then I was very indignant at the heroes. Once I even wrote an essay about this book, or rather, I decided to pay for it. I am very lazy, so I always have https://uk.edubirdie.com/pay-for-essay, I use this service when I need to write something. It's always difficult for me and I spend too much time, so it's easier to use the help of professionals.

This is a great idea, I really love reading fiction books. When I saw this post, I immediately remembered a scene from the book A Clockwork Orange. I also don’t want to tell you all, because it could be a spoiler for someone!

Tschumi

Okay.... Too many genres, I'll stick to gaming relevant fantasy ... Warhammer.. gotrek and Felix.. when they find the holdout dwarves in the castle in the middle of the chaos wastes and felix has about as much of a hand in killing a bloodthirster as gotrek

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Return of the King, the battle of Pelennor Fields, especially the "I am no man". That was a masterful buildup and payoff.

I remember my first minor collision in a deserted hotel car-park. Disturbed by a police patrol, we had forced ourselves through a hurried sex-act. Reversing out of the park, I struck an unmarked tree. Catherine vomited over my seat. This pool of vomit with its clots of blood like liquid rubies, as viscous and discreet as everything produced by Catherine, still contains for me the essence of the erotic delirium of the car-crash, more exciting than her own rectal and vaginal mucus, as refined as the excrement of a fairy queen, or the minuscule globes of liquid that formed beside the bubbles of her contact lenses. In this magic pool, lifting from her throat like a rare discharge of fluid from the mouth of a remote and mysterious shrine, I saw my own reflection, a mirror of blood, semen and vomit, distilled from a mouth whose contours only a few minutes before had drawn steadily against my penis.

Top Bottom