• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear Inoculum at ~200 days.

It's been 205 days since Tool's long, long, long awaited follow up to 10,000 Days was released. Phew, doesn't seem that long!

images

What are you thoughts on this momentous album, 200 days removed?

-------

Naturally, Tool fans (tragics, as they say down under) are the target of this thread.

Let me briefly get in to the justification i feel for posting such a specific thread: this album was hella open to interpretation. As with all Tool albums, the lyrics are eternally constructive but tantalisingly subtle. The music is a labyrinth full of wild encounters. Danny Carey is transcendent~

Early reactions to the album seemed to range from giddy shuddering adoration to furrowed brow confusion as to what was so great about this repetitive, plodding collection of seemingly samey tracks.

As any Tool fan will know, however, relationships with these songs don't happen overnight. It was never going to take one hearing for us to truly appreciate everything we were listening to, and i personally can state that i have evolved my understanding of these tracks a score of times over the last few months.

I wanna know how your thoughts on the album stand today. Have they changed since release? Do you like it more or less? Has it grown in you, or faded away? What is your favourite track? What were your first impressions?

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
It fell pretty flat for me upon release and I haven't really gone back. It's okay but it really feels like Maynard doesn't give a shit any more. He's been downhill since the 13th Step & 10,000 days anyway. Danny and Adam absolutely rip it up, though.

I honestly don't know that I have a favorite track. CCT & 7empest are the best tracks on the album.

Dark Star

I thought it was another fantastic effort from Tool, but very long overdue. I started listening to Tool back in 2009, and if you told me back then the next album would come out in a DECADE, I wouldn't believe you lol. But, that is what happened, and it's quite sad. So many Tool fans came and went during those 13 years between albums, expecting something from the band other than Maynard's silly tweets and sarcastic interviews.

When Fear Inoculum finally came out that musical "itch that needed to be scratched" was already gone for me TBH. Not to say those masterful tracks didn't need 10+ years of polish and refinement, or didn't live up to the "hype", but my music taste had evolved and diversified SO MUCH during those years. Either way, the album was great, and it was all I listened to for at least a couple weeks post release, but I haven't listened to it much since. It's novelty at it's finest, and a fine marvel to be appreciated by the metal community.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

It’s fucking fantastic start to finish and I’m incredibly glad I got to see them in October before this virus shit hit full swing. Pneuma is now one of my favorite songs of all time, but every song on the album hits for me.

McHuj

7empest is still my favorite so far.

However, Invincible has moved up to be one of my favorite tool songs. I think the lyrics are amazing. Probably because I’m a 41 year old geezer who will be killed of by the virus. Need that fountain of youth!!

I do wish there were some more and shorter songs on this album and I wish they all didn’t follow the same pattern: slow intro, build up, crescendo. I like songs that just hit from the start.

I also don’t understand why people love Pneuma so much. I think it’s one of the weaker songs on the album.

I saw them back in January in Austin. Fantastic show.

Last edited:
I loved it at launch and still do. The first 3 tracks are legit amazing, the following 3 tracks are nothing to write home about and the album gets very dull. 7empest is just a badass way to end an album so yeah you get over 40 minutes of really great stuff mixed in with less than stellar songs. It gets unfair hate because it's not a masterpiece and because mongoloids on the internet have decided that Tool is a boomer band.

The big problem with it is that it came within a month of Cult of Luna's stunning A Dawn to Fear and that shit is where it's at.

Papa

Banned
I loved it at launch and still do. The first 3 tracks are legit amazing, the following 3 tracks are nothing to write home about and the album gets very dull. 7empest is just a badass way to end an album so yeah you get over 40 minutes of really great stuff mixed in with less than stellar songs. It gets unfair hate because it's not a masterpiece and because mongoloids on the internet have decided that Tool is a boomer band.

The big problem with it is that it came within a month of Cult of Luna's stunning A Dawn to Fear and that shit is where it's at.

Cult of Luna, nice

Very underwhelming album. To me it seemed like it lacked the element of aggression to counterbalance the long buildups and more cerebral moments. To me the album is basically Parabol without Parabola.

7empest was my favourite track the first time i listened to the album precisely because of this feeling, it was like the album was breathing in for a primal scream through several exhausting tracks before it blew off into CCT and 7empest..

But in subsequent listens, that sense of dragging build up gets less and less coherent to me.. i listened through the whole album in one ear phone with my girlfriend on a trip the other day and not once did i feel sorry for her..

I think at first listen, for all tool songs, i only really ever hear about a quarter of half the song.. i tend to focus on one instrument etc, in the case of this album obviously the most stand out sound that first time around were the drudging guitar crawls.. every subsequent listen, though, i pick up on new signs, interactions, dissonances, time changes, highs and lows, yeah~

Last edited:

deafmedal

TL;WR: My favorite album ever.

I have not listened to an album front to back (minus the interludes but the only TOOL interlude that gets play is Intermission) like this since pre digital days. Pneuma-Invincible-Descending is fucking amazing. Invincible and Pneuma live are god tier and Fear Inoculum is perfect to open shows with. I only got to see Descending once out of the 5 shows I went to this tour but as expected, phenomenal.

7empest is likely my least favorite song from TOOL because of the Cookies and Cream line, I absolutely fucking hate it but I recognize why people love the song, Adam is a fucking beast on it. Culling Voices is a great song asswell, sad to see it get so much hate, love the guitar work. Danny is on a whole fucking ‘nother level throughout, CCT being one take (and the first take at that) is mind boggling. The fact that he does not play to a click is unheard of in this day and age. Justin is top tier as usual, and so much fun to watch live.

Maynard IMO is the weakest part of the new stuff but (other than the mentioned line) he still has it and this is in no way a knock against him. He obviously wanted to step back and let the music shine and not be the center of attention and I think the songs are better for it. I understand people want their screams and such and some of the vocals feel reminiscent of his APC work but his voice still sounds so amazing. And fuck me does he ever still have it live, when he hit the scream in Part of Me at Aftershock I was fucking giddy.

I’ve been a fan for a good long while. FI resonated with me so well and I am ecstatic I was able to hear it and fall in love with it. It may not be ground breaking but the boys are in top form and masters of their craft. They love what they are doing and it shows. I also love the dynamic range, it’s the first album I’ve heard in a long time that doesn’t break up even at full volume. Yeah there may be a wart or few but overall I feel Barresi did an amazing job.

I cannot stress how great the live show is. If you have even a passing interest in the band or just love a great rock show with first class (real time!) production values you should catch a show. It’s not the set you catch for a mosh or to watch the guitar player thrash about but it is on point. Well worth the ridiculously high price.

Don’t even get me started on the posters 😂

TL;WR: My favorite album ever.

You win the thread my man, this is exactly what I was hoping to be seeing when I made it.

In fact, I consider your post tacit permissions for me to unload my mind onto the topic.

Ah first I'll just say that I did go to a Tool concert once - in Melbourne - the only music concert I ever went to (got my own reasons for that which I will tangentially address here) but it was ruined for me by a group of drugged up assholes who stood in the seating section for the entire concert and completely undermined it. Should have been a highlight, now I only remember it when I force myself to.

Anyway on to the thread.

Firstly, my relationship with Tool in as few words as possible: In most of the west, as far as I could tell, Tool was associated with drugs among teens and Tool fans of my age group would have trouble detaching the message of the songs from drug culture. I on the other hand discovered Tool organically (one Morpheus download at a time) while living in Beijing with essentially no western friends and no idea what the rest of the world thought of them. So I just heard the words, not the rep, and for me their songs were all about self improvement and calling out people who obviously failed to live up to those standards. Those values have stayed with me ever seince.

Secondly, my take on previous albums in as few words as possible: Undertow has a few good tracks but I largely ignore it because it's less polished. Salival is in their top 4 albums, Merkaba is my pick for Tool's best instrumental, but I just adore the covers You Lied and No Quarter. Obviously Pushit has FINALLY gained widespread respect as a towering vocal performance, but it's too long to be a real ear worm for me. Aenima is perfection, as you mention Intermission/Jimmy is actually probably my favourite moment on that album, but really I love the whole thing and the accompanying music videos/general vibe. However, Lateralus is my holy grail of Tool albums. I love what they did with the music, I love their more spiritual/mystical but somehow still relevant message, I loved the grandness and the instrumentation... It was perfect. I think 10,000 days is probably a bit ass because I didn't like how shallow it all got (I know Maynard had a very serious reason for making the most potentious songs on the album about his mother very straightforward, but in my mind being straightforward isn't on of Tool's strong points) it may be telling that the only song I listened to very much from that album was Lost Keys/Blame Hoffman.

Finally, in slightly more words, my take on Fear Inoculum:

I think the album was very topical and current in terms of message. This isn't likely to be a very popular view on this forum but I think they're taking aim at cultures who surrender their decision making rights to loud, brash figureheads or mass movements. People like Trump voters, 'Alt-Right', 'Incels', whatever, people who for some reason have a fear of doing things in a way I would consider to be the 'reasonable', 'pleasant' way. I know words like that seem archaic and naive to today's ears, but I am a perfectly savvy dude but I'm not too full of myself to pretend that I don't think life would be better if people just shut up and got on with trying to make things better, rather than trying to trash everything.

In a way, I think this album speaks to those thoughts. Obviously, I'm saying that in total awareness that Tool lyrics are vague enough to be adopted to anyone's worldview. This is just how I got it. It's like a time when I was a teenager and introduced a Serbian friend to Pink Floyd, we listened to Animals pretty intently for a few weeks and I started telling him my thoughts on Pigs (which I can't exactly remember now) when he interrupted me and said 'no man, it's about policemen', and I just had to accept that, yes, it was about policemen, but for me it felt like it was about something different entirely (come to think of it I think it was about retired politicians)

>>BRIEF ASIDE. One person who really ground my gears on this album was Anthony Fantano, the Internet's biggest music nerd dude on youtube, I like his reviews usually but he so obviously only gave this album one listen and decided to play to the boo-boy audience... I hope he makes a retraction one day because his review is just festooned with glaring BS.

Anyway.

By the way I do like every one of the songs, even the interludes, apart from the one after 7empest which I think was a bit unnecessary.

First song seems to be pretty directly targeted, to put my own words on it, the kind of people who get all their thoughts from an Alex Jones or worse and mindlessly collaborate tear apart collective productivity. The "immunity" Maynard sings about (which I suppose the band must have collectively discussed) seems to me to be an immunity to the whispering of populist firebrands. He's talking about regaining control over his own opinions and motivations, and loving that sense. I could go through the song line by line, but I guess I'll just write it in a series of sentences:

> I've just become immune to something
> I'm exhaling a poison that was in me
> I let the poison in naively
> you told me to fear strangers and avoid getting along with them
> but i am open to and give a shit about people who are different to me now and I'm happier
> I'm inoculated against your populist bullshit
> I clearly see what you've been doing to me has been toxic and you've been using me as just another vote/view/click.
> I'm glad I'm immune to you.

Again I say this is my own interpretation of lyrics that might mean something else to others... But to be totally fucking honest, anyone who has been a fan of Tool should probably know that Maynard is the last fucking guy to mince words when talking down to people who follow negative, asshole megalomaniacs. EDIT: Maybe this song is this album's take on "Intolerance"

Pneuma is a good song, but it is obscured from my mind's eye by the following song which speaks to me so much more loudly. To be honest, it's probably my least favourite track, purely because I think Maynard's shoehorning of a spiritual concept word (the title) felt a bit too much like he was trying to recreate the magic of their 90s albums without really matching it to the music. I would also say that I reckon this song sounds a lot like some of the songs on Salival and, maybe there's something to the theory that this album kind of revisits the distinct sounds of their earlier albums in turn.

Invincible is my favourite track. And I dunno what everyone else thinks (like when I was a teen in Beijing, I'm now in Japan and disconnected from what others think) but I think this is going back towards the contempt voiced in the opening track towards hatemongers. In this case, it seems to be talking more towards older white men who are pulling at populist straws to retain relevance and power. Old warriors struggling (lead as always by their 'weapons'/'tools'/dicks) to remain relevant, not really giving a shit about the consequences. Proud of the shit he's done, 'caligula would grin', in my mind this guy is an Iraq vet from the start of the war over there gloating over how he got away with war crimes. "The truth never got in my way", he's a deluded 'merican so he thinks he's still the good guy and will one day be vindicated. False hope, perhaps--

I got to leave, what I have to say for the remaining songs is less insightful anyway at this point (it's gonna take me a long time to really digest this album) I'll write more later I guess..

Last edited:

The Fireman

Neo Member
Equal to Ænima and Lateralus for me. Caught their Sydney and Melbourne shows just before the world went to shit and all music tours got cancelled. Experiencing the live world debut of 7empest in Sydney will go down as one of my favourite live experiences ever.
Incredible album.

Invincible is A+++++++.

deafmedal

Equal to Ænima and Lateralus for me. Caught their Sydney and Melbourne shows just before the world went to shit and all music tours got cancelled. Experiencing the live world debut of 7empest in Sydney will go down as one of my favourite live experiences ever.
Incredible album.

Invincible is A+++++++.
Love how a huge storm rolled in around the time of 7empest’s debut... like damn universe, whatchu trying to say?! Not gonna lie, I was happy AU got it first heh. I love that I caught FI and Pneuma’s debut so totally get the awesomeness of seeing 7empest’s debut.

Grab a poster? 😂

Last edited:

deafmedal

:messenger_hushed: Hahah didn't even attempt to. Those queues were madness.
I managed to grab one at all 4 TX shows including a signed one in Austin (could have grabbed a signed San Antonio but didn’t like the way the sigs looked on that poster), didn’t try at Aftershock but yeah, pure pandemonium, esp SA. I was slightly disappointed that the Down Under posters were variants of the US legs, albeit quite nice variants. I actually have all the designs from the AU and NZ shows except the Adi.

I’m secretly hoping they release the already printed postponed posters on their site so I can try to grab one 😬

MHubert

Generally i find the album to be of high quality, especially the music has a top of the line TOOL feel. Maynard also does a geat job at constraining his voicework to let the music speak its own language, and the bits where he shine feels genuine.
Now, what I don't like so much is the theme, lyrics and overall messaging. The more I listen to the album I feel that Maynard lost his touch here as opposed to earlier days, and honestly it lacks a certain depth. The point about fear being a measure against the corruption of higher powers, and how its systematic mitigation basically lets the darkness in is spot on though, and the 'waking up' maneuvre of 7empest seem clever at first, but really seem more like a gimmick that lacks a more sophisticated level to feel really impactful after repeated listenings. In the end I was honestly a bit let down, as Maynard seems to continue his streak of basically being an edgy John Lennon.

teezzy

Banned
I'd expected it to be heavier. Really enjoyed old Tool, but after multiple tries Fear Innoculum just never clicked with me the way their former albums did (and still do).

I had more fun listening to Slipknot and KoRn's new albums, and spent more time with those.

I'm glad Tool fans love it, they waited long enough. Some fans seem to love Maynard shitting on a plastic bag too though.

deafmedal

Ah first I'll just say that I did go to a Tool concert once - in Melbourne - the only music concert I ever went to (got my own reasons for that which I will tangentially address here) but it was ruined for me by a group of drugged up assholes who stood in the seating section for the entire concert and completely undermined it. Should have been a highlight, now I only remember it when I force myself to.
Sorry you had a bad experience. There is constant bickering on the reddit sub regarding standing in the seated sections which has even more prevalence now that in the US even the floor is 'seated'. I am of the opinion that if people want to stand let 'em stand. If someone has to sit due to health reasons they should look at accessible seating and if you just want to sit then shoot for the upper level or an aisle/front row seat so as to lesson the likelihood of someone blocking your view. We always stand and 'dance' (lol) as do generally everyone around. I have yet to have someone ask us to sit but would consider it or trade seats with them if it did arise. Last time we saw them we did have a dude who was spiraling out a little too hard and had that been the only time we were able to catch a show it would have been a horrible experience, dude was fucking nuts. Hope he got home safe heh, some people can't handle their buzz very well. Never understood getting that fucked up but I can't say much, I usually get pretty lit.
Firstly, my relationship with Tool in as few words as possible: In most of the west, as far as I could tell, Tool was associated with drugs among teens and Tool fans of my age group would have trouble detaching the message of the songs from drug culture. I on the other hand discovered Tool organically (one Morpheus download at a time) while living in Beijing with essentially no western friends and no idea what the rest of the world thought of them. So I just heard the words, not the rep, and for me their songs were all about self improvement and calling out people who obviously failed to live up to those standards. Those values have stayed with me ever seince.
I agree that TOOL has been labeled a drug band, and for good reason. They have been known to encourage psychedelic use and collaborate frequently with Alex Grey, a known advocate of psychedelics. I do think fans can misinterpret this and take it too far though. I will say TOOL on LSD and shrooms is pretty fucking amazing ;) But yes, Maynard's overall message can be interpreted as motivational and learning to deal with your demons and calling out bullshit. I've never really seen them as a hateful or 'angry' band but instead using anger to work through demons. There's clips out there with Maynard saying basically be angry, use that anger to work through things but that hate is bad.
Secondly, my take on previous albums in as few words as possible: Undertow has a few good tracks but I largely ignore it because it's less polished. Salival is in their top 4 albums, Merkaba is my pick for Tool's best instrumental, but I just adore the covers You Lied and No Quarter. Obviously Pushit has FINALLY gained widespread respect as a towering vocal performance, but it's too long to be a real ear worm for me. Aenima is perfection, as you mention Intermission/Jimmy is actually probably my favourite moment on that album, but really I love the whole thing and the accompanying music videos/general vibe. However, Lateralus is my holy grail of Tool albums. I love what they did with the music, I love their more spiritual/mystical but somehow still relevant message, I loved the grandness and the instrumentation... It was perfect. I think 10,000 days is probably a bit ass because I didn't like how shallow it all got (I know Maynard had a very serious reason for making the most potentious songs on the album about his mother very straightforward, but in my mind being straightforward isn't on of Tool's strong points) it may be telling that the only song I listened to very much from that album was Lost Keys/Blame Hoffman.
I find Opiate the least polished (with the exception of the demo ep for obvious reasons) but, along with Undertow, their 'hardest' albums. As a result they are my least favorite albums but in no way do I dislike them, rather quite the opposite. Personally I feel Undertow to be a well recorded album with some fantastic songs and I think Silvia Massey did a great job capturing the raw energy of the band at that point of their career. Bottom in particular is absolutely amazing and the fact that there are videos of the recording sessions like Henry Rollins' take on Bottom is a fan's dream come true.

Aenima is the album that made me a fan. Like most my age I first heard Prison Sex and Sober and saw the vids but it was Aenima that I connected with, Pushit, Eulogy and Jimmy were my fucking jams in high school. Even 20+ years on I still absolutely adore this album and probably always will.
Salival is fucking awesome. The live songs are ace, esp Pushit and Third Eye (I may like it better than the album version) and the covers are some of their best work. I definitely prefer TOOL's No Quarter to Zepplin's, I find most covers pretty rote.

Lateralus as most agree (except Pitchfork lol) is a masterpiece. I remember my roommate making fun of my buddy and me having our first listen release day. Fuckhead :mad: Not much to say that hasn't already been said, usually better than I can, many, many times.

10,000 Days. I didn't listen to it right away. That was a strange time in my life- I was a new father and kind of detached from a lot of things. I stopped going to shows and wasn't really connected to much. I heard the singles and liked them well enough but I wasn't in a TOOL phase. When I did get around to it I liked it but didn't love it. Now I do. I do agree with many that the ordering is a bit strange, I think Wings/10,000 Days feel weird in their placement but I love all the songs. Pretentious? Ofc! But when hasn't TOOL been, esp Maynard?! It's a bit sarcastic, melodramatic, funny, heart wrenching, thought provoking and damn does it rock. I'm kinda sad I will never get to see Rosetta Stoned live, shit the bed I reckon ;) I do find it to be the worst album regarding dynamic range, it breaks up at too loud of volume but overall (like all their albums) it's well produced and mixed. Just wish the mastering wasn't so heavy handed imo.
I think the album was very topical and current in terms of message. This isn't likely to be a very popular view on this forum but I think they're taking aim at cultures who surrender their decision making rights to loud, brash figureheads or mass movements. People like Trump voters, 'Alt-Right', 'Incels', whatever, people who for some reason have a fear of doing things in a way I would consider to be the 'reasonable', 'pleasant' way. I know words like that seem archaic and naive to today's ears, but I am a perfectly savvy dude but I'm not too full of myself to pretend that I don't think life would be better if people just shut up and got on with trying to make things better, rather than trying to trash everything.
I can see that. It's always interesting to check out people's view on art. I kind of look at the album as a way of growing older, learning to weather storms and to not let fear rule your life. Things happen and you have to work through them, accept that that you cannot change the past and everything you experience should be used as the armor you need to survive.
In a way, I think this album speaks to those thoughts. Obviously, I'm saying that in total awareness that Tool lyrics are vague enough to be adopted to anyone's worldview. This is just how I got it. It's like a time when I was a teenager and introduced a Serbian friend to Pink Floyd, we listened to Animals pretty intently for a few weeks and I started telling him my thoughts on Pigs (which I can't exactly remember now) when he interrupted me and said 'no man, it's about policemen', and I just had to accept that, yes, it was about policemen, but for me it felt like it was about something different entirely (come to think of it I think it was about retired politicians)
TOOL's lyrics are vague enough to come to your own interpretation. I never really cared for artists who smugly state "This song is about...", I find it often comes across fairly insincere. I like that the band has never really done that and have actively promoted finding your own meaning and using the music as a tool to get you through whatever you need to get through.

I've always felt Animals was about politicians and those who pull the strings, perhaps a bit Orwellian...
First song seems to be pretty directly targeted, to put my own words on it, the kind of people who get all their thoughts from an Alex Jones or worse and mindlessly collaborate tear apart collective productivity. The "immunity" Maynard sings about (which I suppose the band must have collectively discussed) seems to me to be an immunity to the whispering of populist firebrands.
I'm fairly certain there is NO input from the band regarding Maynard's lyrics. He no longer takes part in the writing of the songs save his input as he finds the band takes too long to get the songs where they need to be. He discusses this on the Rogan podcast. He hears the music and writes to it so whatever he's feeling at the time is what he writes about. I get the feeling that when the band is not touring Maynard doesn't 'hang' with the guys much where as I can see Adam, Danny and Justin always working on material together and it seems Danny and Justin are really close.
Maynard also titles all the songs and albums and the setlists are his decision (as long as they are all confident they can perform the song to their standards- see: 7empest and how long it took to bring it out).
Maybe this song is this album's take on "Intolerance"
Perhaps the logical evolution there of...
Pneuma is a good song, but it is obscured from my mind's eye by the following song which speaks to me so much more loudly. To be honest, it's probably my least favourite track, purely because I think Maynard's shoehorning of a spiritual concept word (the title) felt a bit too much like he was trying to recreate the magic of their 90s albums without really matching it to the music. I would also say that I reckon this song sounds a lot like some of the songs on Salival and, maybe there's something to the theory that this album kind of revisits the distinct sounds of their earlier albums in turn.
Personally I could not imagine the song to have different lyrics. While I love Maynard's contribution the instruments are the stars of the song. It does feel very reminiscent of past work but entirely it's own thing, like they are borrowing from their own catalog. Most (all?) musical artists have their groove they stay in and only make minor adjustments throughout their output. I find this criticism the most perplexing, even when an artist 'reinvents' themselves there is still that thing that marks that artist's feel. I do get the shoehorn feeling though, I feel Maynard probably didn't spend much time writing (or recording because he's a fucking pro like that) but even at his worst he's still pretty damn great. Except that damnable Cookies and Cream line...

Those gotdamn drums though, especially that tribal section in the middle, the build up, then Adam's little riffy solo into that smashbang... whew!
Invincible is my favourite track. And I dunno what everyone else thinks (like when I was a teen in Beijing, I'm now in Japan and disconnected from what others think) but I think this is going back towards the contempt voiced in the opening track towards hatemongers. In this case, it seems to be talking more towards older white men who are pulling at populist straws to retain relevance and power. Old warriors struggling (lead as always by their 'weapons'/'tools'/dicks) to remain relevant, not really giving a shit about the consequences. Proud of the shit he's done, 'caligula would grin', in my mind this guy is an Iraq vet from the start of the war over there gloating over how he got away with war crimes. "The truth never got in my way", he's a deluded 'merican so he thinks he's still the good guy and will one day be vindicated. False hope, perhaps--
That's an interesting take. I kind of float between a literal interpretation of, say, a Viking coming to grips with growing older or a more introspective look... The aging rockstar who has settled down but still has that drive, that fire but maybe their body is failing. Maynard loves his double entendres for sure...
In the end I was honestly a bit let down, as Maynard seems to continue his streak of basically being an edgy John Lennon.
How dare you compare Maymay to that dirty hippie scum! Maynard is definitely a curious fellow but I feel very genuine. Dude just wants to sing his songs and make his wine, he's never really liked the rockstar part of the job. Lennon I feel relished that part.
I'd expected it to be heavier.
After Third Eye I feel the band moved toward a more art rock style so this criticism at this stage confuses me. It is, ofc, totally valid to prefer the earlier style of music TOOL created.
Still, I find FI to absolutely fucking shred, I always wonder how people quantify 'heavy' unless people really mean angry. What do they have to be angry about? It can come off as insincere (see: Eminem) when forced. I will say that some of the riffage has a kind of classic rock feel but I love it all the more as a result.

Last edited:

MHubert

Sorry you had a bad experience. There is constant bickering on the reddit sub regarding standing in the seated sections which has even more prevalence now that in the US even the floor is 'seated'. I am of the opinion that if people want to stand let 'em stand. If someone has to sit due to health reasons they should look at accessible seating and if you just want to sit then shoot for the upper level or an aisle/front row seat so as to lesson the likelihood of someone blocking your view. We always stand and 'dance' (lol) as do generally everyone around. I have yet to have someone ask us to sit but would consider it or trade seats with them if it did arise. Last time we saw them we did have a dude who was spiraling out a little too hard and had that been the only time we were able to catch a show it would have been a horrible experience, dude was fucking nuts. Hope he got home safe heh, some people can't handle their buzz very well. Never understood getting that fucked up but I can't say much, I usually get pretty lit.
I agree that TOOL has been labeled a drug band, and for good reason. They have been known to encourage psychedelic use and collaborate frequently with Alex Grey, a known advocate of psychedelics. I do think fans can misinterpret this and take it too far though. I will say TOOL on LSD and shrooms is pretty fucking amazing ;) But yes, Maynard's overall message can be interpreted as motivational and learning to deal with your demons and calling out bullshit. I've never really seen them as a hateful or 'angry' band but instead using anger to work through demons. There's clips out there with Maynard saying basically be angry, use that anger to work through things but that hate is bad.
I find Opiate the least polished (with the exception of the demo ep for obvious reasons) but, along with Undertow, their 'hardest' albums. As a result they are my least favorite albums but in no way do I dislike them, rather quite the opposite. Personally I feel Undertow to be a well recorded album with some fantastic songs and I think Silvia Massey did a great job capturing the raw energy of the band at that point of their career. Bottom in particular is absolutely amazing and the fact that there are videos of the recording sessions like Henry Rollins' take on Bottom is a fan's dream come true.

Aenima is the album that made me a fan. Like most my age I first heard Prison Sex and Sober and saw the vids but it was Aenima that I connected with, Pushit, Eulogy and Jimmy were my fucking jams in high school. Even 20+ years on I still absolutely adore this album and probably always will.
Salival is fucking awesome. The live songs are ace, esp Pushit and Third Eye (I may like it better than the album version) and the covers are some of their best work. I definitely prefer TOOL's No Quarter to Zepplin's, I find most covers pretty rote.

Lateralus as most agree (except Pitchfork lol) is a masterpiece. I remember my roommate making fun of my buddy and me having our first listen release day. Fuckhead :mad: Not much to say that hasn't already been said, usually better than I can, many, many times.

10,000 Days. I didn't listen to it right away. That was a strange time in my life- I was a new father and kind of detached from a lot of things. I stopped going to shows and wasn't really connected to much. I heard the singles and liked them well enough but I wasn't in a TOOL phase. When I did get around to it I liked it but didn't love it. Now I do. I do agree with many that the ordering is a bit strange, I think Wings/10,000 Days feel weird in their placement but I love all the songs. Pretentious? Ofc! But when hasn't TOOL been, esp Maynard?! It's a bit sarcastic, melodramatic, funny, heart wrenching, thought provoking and damn does it rock. I'm kinda sad I will never get to see Rosetta Stoned live, shit the bed I reckon ;) I do find it to be the worst album regarding dynamic range, it breaks up at too loud of volume but overall (like all their albums) it's well produced and mixed. Just wish the mastering wasn't so heavy handed imo.
I can see that. It's always interesting to check out people's view on art. I kind of look at the album as a way of growing older, learning to weather storms and to not let fear rule your life. Things happen and you have to work through them, accept that that you cannot change the past and everything you experience should be used as the armor you need to survive.
TOOL's lyrics are vague enough to come to your own interpretation. I never really cared for artists who smugly state "This song is about...", I find it often comes across fairly insincere. I like that the band has never really done that and have actively promoted finding your own meaning and using the music as a tool to get you through whatever you need to get through.

I've always felt Animals was about politicians and those who pull the strings, perhaps a bit Orwellian...
I'm fairly certain there is NO input from the band regarding Maynard's lyrics. He no longer takes part in the writing of the songs save his input as he finds the band takes too long to get the songs where they need to be. He discusses this on the Rogan podcast. He hears the music and writes to it so whatever he's feeling at the time is what he writes about. I get the feeling that when the band is not touring Maynard doesn't 'hang' with the guys much where as I can see Adam, Danny and Justin always working on material together and it seems Danny and Justin are really close.
Maynard also titles all the songs and albums and the setlists are his decision (as long as they are all confident they can perform the song to their standards- see: 7empest and how long it took to bring it out).
Perhaps the logical evolution there of...
Personally I could not imagine the song to have different lyrics. While I love Maynard's contribution the instruments are the stars of the song. It does feel very reminiscent of past work but entirely it's own thing, like they are borrowing from their own catalog. Most (all?) musical artists have their groove they stay in and only make minor adjustments throughout their output. I find this criticism the most perplexing, even when an artist 'reinvents' themselves there is still that thing that marks that artist's feel. I do get the shoehorn feeling though, I feel Maynard probably didn't spend much time writing (or recording because he's a fucking pro like that) but even at his worst he's still pretty damn great. Except that damnable Cookies and Cream line...

Those gotdamn drums though, especially that tribal section in the middle, the build up, then Adam's little riffy solo into that smashbang... whew!
That's an interesting take. I kind of float between a literal interpretation of, say, a Viking coming to grips with growing older or a more introspective look... The aging rockstar who has settled down but still has that drive, that fire but maybe their body is failing. Maynard loves his double entendres for sure...
How dare you compare Maymay to that dirty hippie scum! Maynard is definitely a curious fellow but I feel very genuine. Dude just wants to sing his songs and make his wine, he's never really liked the rockstar part of the job. Lennon I feel relished that part.
After Third Eye I feel the band moved toward a more art rock style so this criticism at this stage confuses me. It is, ofc, totally valid to prefer the earlier style of music TOOL created.
Still, I find FI to absolutely fucking shred, I always wonder how people quantify 'heavy' unless people really mean angry. What do they have to be angry about? It can come off as insincere (see: Eminem) when forced. I will say that some of the riffage has a kind of classic rock feel but I love it all the more as a result.
Well I admit that comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek ;) And I do certainly believe that Maynard is a genuine lad, and I admire a lot of the work he has made, though i feel that even even though he didn't relish being a rockstar like Lennon might have, he certainly have relished being a kind of persona that swelled a little too much in his own irony - something that might have suited him in his more vigorous days, but also something that hasn't aged well, sadly. I view his later creations as a kind of redemption process where he tries to shed his former skin of toxic irony (because, I guess, he wasn't very satisfied to see that his fans didn't get the dark humor in his messages, and used his jungian LSD wisdom as a kind of weapon to point the finger at peoples intimate flaws - by effect using him to spread hatred), and delve into the more fundementals of his messages - which frankly are kinda hippie, when all is said and done.

Btw. I have seen TOOL on 2 occasions - first at Roskilde as part of the 10.000 days tour, and secondly last spring in Krakow. Both concerts are some best I have ever witnessed.

Thaedolus

God, how FUCKING GOOD is 7empest fellas? I’m a wanna be drummer and that’s all I want to play lately.

fuck it’s so good.

Top Bottom