• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy composer Nobuo Uematsu finds recent game music “boring” – here’s why

In an extended NewsPicks interview with Nobuo Uematsu by Japanese academic Yoichi Ochiai, the veteran Final Fantasy series composer gave his thoughts on current and future game music. As well as discussing the limitations he had to work around when composing game soundtracks in the 1980s and 1990s, Uematsu also shared advice for aspiring game music composers and his thoughts on AI compositions.

Uematsu is strongly associated with Final Fantasy, having been the sole composer for all the series’ mainline entries from Final Fantasy I (1987) through to Final Fantasy IX (2000). From Final Fantasy X onwards, he composed soundtracks in collaboration with other composers. In recent years, he has focused on composing just the main themes for entries in the series. In a widely reported on recent interview with German publication Zeit Online, Uematsu stated that he has no plans to compose an entire game soundtrack again due to not having the physical and mental strength to do it anymore.

In the NewsPicks video interview, Nobuo Uematsu stated that “music played the role of oxygen” for 8-bit games, effectively bringing their stories and characters to life, as the games had small sprites and no voice acting. He also discussed the memory limitations he had to work within, especially in the NES, SNES and PS1 generations.

Final Fantasy I on the NES.

“On the SNES, the capacity increased and I was able to use samples of say the violin or the flute, then compress these over and over.” However, only 8 sounds could be played at the same time and samples used up space, so “I was still worrying about not having enough memory during the SNES days.” With Final Fantasy VII being developed for the PlayStation 1’s CD-ROM format, Uematsu explained that “It was now possible to stream the music, as in take what I had made in the studio and reproduce it (in the game). However, if I did that it would take a very long time to load in. I think fans would complain if they charged into battle and then it went into a loading screen.” Therefore, in the Playstation 1 generation, Uematsu continued to use compressed sound samples to create engaging looping melodies, achieving a balance between the available memory and sound quality.

He explains that from the PlayStation 2’s Final Fantasy X onwards, game music started to enter “A period where we could pretty much do everything.” Uematsu adds that “As game consoles have advanced, it has been easier for me to express different genres of music (like rock and jazz, etc.) within game music.”

20240308-28322-002.jpeg

Uematsu goes on to muse as to why recent game music has become less interesting in his opinion. He suggests that the problem might be that directors and producers are “satisfied with movie soundtrack-like music in games,” adding, “I think people need to have more freedom when creating (game music).” Uematsu thinks that if games keep using Hollywood movie-style scores, then the genre of “game music cannot develop further.” On the other hand, he comments that “game music will become more interesting if composers consider ‘what is something only I can do?’ and use their own knowledge and experience to be truly creative.”

20240308-28322-004.png

The artist dismisses AI as a tool for composing music, emphasizing the role of music in conveying empathy between composer and listener. He states that composing good music is a difficult art that can only be realized by “reaching deep down inside yourself to find aspects unique to you and then expressing them.”

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Aerith

For the most recent Final Fantasy game, Final fantasy VII Rebirth, Uematsu has composed a new theme song called No Promises to Keep. Although the full soundtrack is not composed by him, it is based on rearrangements of his beloved scores from the original Final Fantasy VII.

I agree with that about Western composers, Christopher Larkin (Hollow Knight) being an exception among them.

However, Chinese composers are now on par with the best Japanese ones and they have introduced new tunes/instruments. The music in this boss fight is so much better than anything I have heard in any Final Fantasy game, from a composition standpoint.

Let alone the fact that probably the best soundtrack of all time is in the Nier saga and that's recent.

IAmRei

I agree with that about Western composers, Christopher Larkin (Hollow Knight) being an exception among them.

However, Chinese composers are now on par with the best Japanese ones and they have introduced new tunes/instruments. The music in this boss fight is so much better than anything I have heard in any Final Fantasy game, from a composition standpoint.

Let alone the fact that probably the best soundtrack of all time is in the Nier saga and that's recent.

Mitsuda and Uematsu still blowing it away.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
FFXIV is blessed to have gotten multiple compositions from him

Easily my fav modern soundtrack (kind of cheating since its been going over 10 years haha).

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Limitation breeds creativity. I wholly agree with his take.

Guilty_AI

I know he is a renowned composer and all, but whenever i hear old-timers of the industry (especially JP ones) say these kinds of things, i can't help but feel they're kind of out of touch with what we currently have.

It probably can't be helped since, as they get older, their contact with other games or things outside of what they're familiar with narrows further and further down. I doubt he's out there making long playthroughs of Baldurs Gate 3 or trying to get higher ranks in Ultrakill, he certainly has other priorities in life right now.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Not Uematsu but the OST for XIII is legit God-tier. Say what you will about the story and gameplay but holy smokes the OST is good. I still listen to it on a regular basis.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I think Resident Evil is a prime example of how boring and mundane modern OSTs have become for many games.

RE1-3, CVX, Zero. Amazing OSTs. Been all downhill from there. 2make with the classic OST turned on shows how much a difference it makes.

Can't really comment on how right he is, because I haven't been in tune with new games for while (Money issues).

But he is objectively correct about AI "compositions".
The pillars that make music and art in general what they are, is human communication (Emotion, themes, whatever it may be) and intent.

If AI becomes sentient, then that would be entirely different.
That AI is conveying something. It's communicating something to you. It has emotions that is trying to connect with the listener.

But that's not the case right now. AI "compositions" have, or should have, no value. Artistic or otherwise.

Excuse my artsy-fartsy phrasing, not my intention.

Just really happy that he said that. Because this should be important to everyone.

That Metal Gear Solid 1 credits song (The Best is Yet to Come) being created by a person with intent and emotions, opens up a can of gold of discussions.
Why did Kojima and the gang wanted that song there? Whats the connection it has with the whole game? What does it mean to YOU?

It's great, man.
And all of that is lost, when to you, a song "composed" by AI, and a person, is the exact same thing.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I bought Death Stranding’s OST and I honestly can’t get into it enough to listen to it. It feels too much like cinema music and the licensed musical tracks aren’t on there. Ludvig Forssell is very talented, but he lacks the melodies that you’d want to always remember.

Last edited:

Svejk

Not just video game music, music of all genres have lost heir soul the past 10-20 years. That's not just old man yelling at the clouds talk either.

Guilty_AI

I know he is a renowned composer and all, but whenever i hear old-timers of the industry (especially JP ones) say these kinds of things, i can't help but feel they're kind of out of touch with what we currently have.

It probably can't be helped since, as they get older, their contact with other games or things outside of what they're familiar with narrows further and further down. I doubt he's out there making long playthroughs of Baldurs Gate 3 or trying to get higher ranks in Ultrakill, he certainly has other priorities in life right now.
To reiterate my point, from:

So yeah, sorry i cannot get into the "modern game music sucks" bandwagon. Whoever thinks so is just on the wrong places, that's all there is to it.

Hudo

I agree wholeheartedly with his assessment. Especially with how game OSTs in games of the 80s and early 90s helped a game give its character, so to speak.

cireza

He's absolutely right. I can't recall any memorable soundtracks from past years aside maybe ff7 remake and nier automata.
There are some banger soundtracks. Team Sonic Racing comes to mind as one of the best ones from SEGA recently, but smaller games were also excellent such as Sonic Mania or Streets of Rage 4.

And I have been listening to the Cyberspace stages from Sonic Frontiers regularly. Absolutely fantastic tracks (30 of them).

linko9

He's definitely right when it comes to western games (spot on with the comparison to movie soundtracks). But there's still good stuff coming out of Japan. Game music has always relied on having memorable melodies, with few exceptions. Hamauzu is a god, and getting to use Nobuo's FF7 melodies for the remake has made for one (or two) of the best soundtracks EVAH.

Cyberpunkd

That AI is conveying something. It's communicating something to you. It has emotions that is trying to connect with the listener.
The AI will never have emotions, no matter how advanced it is. It will have subroutines and programs being executed. It will forever lack the emotional and the intangible that characterises humans.
If robots take over you can be sure artists will be humans they will keep because machines are incapable of true artistic expression.

kevm3

I agree that a lot of the generic movie style orchestral scores are boring and generic.

However Square has some of the best composers putting out some of the best music ever. Soken has put out some of if not my favorite songs out (FF14 and FF16). Triangle Strategy has an amazing OST as well.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Too many current composers just make mood music rather than catchy themes that play over and over in your head. There are exceptions to this. Gareth Coker, Jason Graves, Inon Zur etc...

We just don't have many good Japanese game composers right now, IMO.

Drell

I agree with him, hollywood ambiant music can be used here and there but when your whole soundtrack is only that, it makes your soundtrack very boring and forgettable.

Zelduh

The limitions of SNES MIDI music definitely created some unforgetable music that would have otherwise never existed in games like DKC2, FF6, etc. in my opinion. A lot of the older video game MIDI music sounds much better than the modern blasting orchestrations that sound overwhelming and muddled and there's no clear melody that gets seared into your brain

Go_Ly_Dow

NieR Replicant/Automata, FF7 Remake/Rebirth, FF16, Xenoblade 1-3 have been some of the standout soundtracks for me in modern games.

Apart from them and a few other games, I barely relisten to a lot of music from the vast majority of games. Whilst the classical games, NES, SNES, PS1, PS2 etc... have a rich library of games which have stunning music.

So I think it's declining in newer games when thinking about it.

Raven117

I agree. There is too much “ambient” music. I like it when games just effing go for it on their soundtracks.

Maybe it’s because I grew up in the 8/16 bit era that I want my music to take up so much space in a game

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real

He's right in the sense that when the constraints were a lot more obvious in previous generations, artists were a lot more creative in how they solved problems, and that led to more interesting and memorable results.

He's right. I find a lot of indie games tap into the traditional "catchy melody" OST and I love it. FEZ, Axiom Verge, Stardew Valley, etc. All fantastic and far more memorable.

Sushi_Combo

I kind of like some games that utilize ambient soundtracks as it does fit in what the developers aims to achieve in their world. But I do agree, GOW Ragnarok comes to mind where I couldn't find any soundtrack that stuck with me throughout the game.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

He's right in the sense that when the constraints were a lot more obvious in previous generations, artists were a lot more creative in how they solved problems, and that led to more interesting and memorable results.
Don't buy that either. Or rather, many of 90s era music were blantantly "inspired" by music from other media like movies or pop, that kind of thing used to go under the radar after all.

Top Bottom