• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Original Sountrack track-by-track credits

jb1234

Next big OST aside from NieR is the FFXIIHD one, right?

I can't tell you how irritated I was earlier this year when I learned FFXIIHD was coming out later than I hoped. I don't care about replaying the game, I just want to hear what they've done with the music! :p

Koozek

After Mobius FF's consistently great soundtrack, I really want Mitsuto Suzuki to play a larger role in the next mainline game's music. His contributions to games like The 3rd Birthday and the XIII trilogy were generally quite good, but as well as having notably strong individual tracks, Mobius' score as a whole is notably stylistically diverse and consistent in quality. A shame about that one regrettable vocal piece...
His songs on FFXIII-2 and LR are fantastic. Just a few:

FFXIII-2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPEzumonJv4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GffbTU5Zpew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcP6tTTcD1w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHkaXFdL2K8

LR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuwRYUXRZc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC77mXGwWz0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CquWrtALjzk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiX80ls2Y_A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmUojSDMY5A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYi2l1XVeQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8c1P3e-p24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YC9yQNfGOE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmnt2ArXQck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4FBCwoS8WI

Zanasea

nope, not quite :V

Also technically, Shota orchestrated the stuff he's credited as arranger on, but Miyano did Magna Insomnia.

edit: on closer inspection, I think several, albeit not all, of the inconsistencies also stem from when the tracks also showed up on Kingsglaive soundtrack, which isn't quite accurate either. That's far more usual in the film world though.

Huh, so you pretend Miyano's orchestration credit from Kingsglaive is false. But on what ground?

ratsuki

Wow, almost all my favorites are arranged by Yoshitaka Suzuki. Loving his arrangements of Prelude to bits too (sadly it didn't included in main OST whyyy). This guy's music really is my type.

My ideal pair to helm the next mainline FF is Suzuki and Ishimoto. I now got my dream of a Shimomura lead mainline FF game. (and the first female main composer on a mainline entry! :D)

Amen to that. From TWEWY to Crisis Core to Type-0, Takeharu Ishimoto is very versatile.

Burbeting

Banned
FFXII's OST is anything but memorable.

Nice? Yes. Memorable? Maybe the theme of FF.

12 had a serviceable soundtrack with few stand out tracks (Boss theme, Summon Boss theme, Rabanastre), but otherwise it was very forgettable. Worst mainline soundtrack by far, but that's because the quality is so high across the series.

Falk

that puzzling face
Huh, so you pretend Miyano's orchestration credit from Kingsglaive is false. But on what ground?

Somebody doesn't know who Falk is, lol.

Oi, I didn't say THAT exactly.

I'm saying, based on our thread of discussion here (we were talking about identifying who was involved in what, remember), that the overall arrangement and sound of LUNA isn't quite the result of Miyano's involvement in that track, as opposed to say, Apocalypsis Noctis or Magna Insomnia.

LUNA was largely arranged by Suzuki as well. His cinematic sound is pretty distinct.

p.s. feel free to ask more questions. I'm happy to answer as long as it's not stuff I can't answer.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
p.s. feel free to ask more questions. I'm happy to answer as long as it's not stuff I can't answer.

I dunno if you can answer this but will the DLC have new tracks?

Geg

Without going into details, I think I can safely say (without mentioning anything I shouldn't, as opposed to factually safely, haha) that the game had a pretty mad sprint towards the finish line, as evidenced by a few other things others have noted (some music being updated from on-disc to day 1 patch, for example) so by the time all the 'complete' information was collected, vetted and submitted for posterity, e.g. soundtrack printings may have already been ongoing, etc.

Is this also why there are quite a few tracks missing from the OST? Though I guess it would need to be 5 discs to include all of those.

Falk

that puzzling face
Is this also why there are quite a few tracks missing from the OST?

Naw, OST is pretty much as intended content-wise.

In fact the music that was patched on the day-1 update brought those tracks up to parity with the OST. e.g. Wanderlust.

Geg

Hm, I hope there's some kind of "complete" release at some point including the missing tracks + whatever new music shows up in the DLC (assuming there's more since we already had 2 new tracks in the chocobo festival).

I'm curious what the distinction is between arrangement and orchestration in this case. I'm assuming Shota Nakama is credited with with arrangement on so many tracks because he worked directly with Shimomura on orchestrating them?

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm curious what the distinction is between arrangement and orchestration in this case.

It's a gray line and a rather tricky question to answer, since people do use both terms interchangeably at points.

Arrangement usually means you're taking someone's ideas and elaborating on them, either to complete an idea, reharmonize, add instrumentation, or redo a piece of music completely in a different genre. This process can include orchestration work.

Orchestration usually means you're taking a piece of music and making it playable by an orchestra (which can refer to many things, but typically nowadays refer to a classical orchestra, i.e. strings, brass, woodwinds, orch. percussion, etc). This also implies an arrangement for orchestra if the original music is not orchestral (i.e. orchestrating 16-bit game music), but also is a term used for a 'playability' pass on a piece that was composed originally for orchestra to begin with. A professional orchestrator will prevent situations where, for example, you're trying to get horns to hold notes for 30 seconds straight, which is physically impossible. This process hence can also include arrangement work.

Shota deserves recognition for how much he went above and beyond for the soundtrack. As he said in the interview linked on the first page, he did cover a lot of different roles, and was basically *the* point man for the entire recording process for much of the soundtrack with Video Game Orchestra and SoundtRec involvement.

It seems to me (and this is speculation on my part) that the crediting process essentially defaulted to "Arrangement by Yoko Shimomura/Shota Nakama" for tracks with VGO/StR involvement, and then modifications to that default whenever there's a special case. For the most part, it's correct, and Shota did arrange and/or orchestrate for those, although it's a little superfluous to still say Yoko Shimomura still arranged those pieces (she did compose them, after all, lol), and it leads to a situation where this default information can be incomplete or inaccurate or overlooked, e.g. Magna Insomnia not crediting Sachiko Miyano, or Crystalline Chill, which I pretty much arranged and produced based on Shimomura's basic outline.

Glad to see the full credits! While I've been traveling on vacation the soundtrack has been my go to on-the-road music.

Magnus

Such a great soundtrack overall - but I couldn't help but feel the town themes were a weak link. They kinda gave me a "salsa/venice MIDI keyboard preset" vibe..

I'm glad someone else said it. I almost felt like I was listening to a different game compared to what I was hearing (and loving) in battles/fields.

Naw, OST is pretty much as intended content-wise.

In fact the music that was patched on the day-1 update brought those tracks up to parity with the OST. e.g. Wanderlust.

In the last update the track in the opening CG has been changed. New track is a mix of Dawn and FF main theme and I don't think I've heard it in the OST I own. If you can answer this, when was it made and by whom?

Squire

Banned
Well, that's not too surprising. Most of it sounds like generic film score, but it was clear most of it (probably) wasn't Shimomura.

Even the best pieces aren't that great though. *shrug*

Koozek

It's a gray line and a rather tricky question to answer, since people do use both terms interchangeably at points.

Arrangement usually means you're taking someone's ideas and elaborating on them, either to complete an idea, reharmonize, add instrumentation, or redo a piece of music completely in a different genre. This process can include orchestration work.

Orchestration usually means you're taking a piece of music and making it playable by an orchestra (which can refer to many things, but typically nowadays refer to a classical orchestra, i.e. strings, brass, woodwinds, orch. percussion, etc). This also implies an arrangement for orchestra if the original music is not orchestral (i.e. orchestrating 16-bit game music), but also is a term used for a 'playability' pass on a piece that was composed originally for orchestra to begin with. A professional orchestrator will prevent situations where, for example, you're trying to get horns to hold notes for 30 seconds straight, which is physically impossible. This process hence can also include arrangement work.

Shota deserves recognition for how much he went above and beyond for the soundtrack. As he said in the interview linked on the first page, he did cover a lot of different roles, and was basically *the* point man for the entire recording process for much of the soundtrack with Video Game Orchestra and SoundtRec involvement.

It seems to me (and this is speculation on my part) that the crediting process essentially defaulted to "Arrangement by Yoko Shimomura/Shota Nakama" for tracks with VGO/StR involvement, and then modifications to that default whenever there's a special case. For the most part, it's correct, and Shota did arrange and/or orchestrate for those, although it's a little superfluous to still say Yoko Shimomura still arranged those pieces (she did compose them, after all, lol), and it leads to a situation where this default information can be incomplete or inaccurate or overlooked, e.g. Magna Insomnia not crediting Sachiko Miyano, or Crystalline Chill, which I pretty much arranged and produced based on Shimomura's basic outline.
W
A
T

All the times I was talking to you about how I think the menu music's shit without knowing you composed that one
JgZs64Q.png

To be fair, my issue was more with the decision to have menu music at all, not as much with the song itself.

I'm sorry, Faruko-senpai. Please forgive me. I love your other music on Soundcloud & Co!

Mitsuda would be great but SE hasn't worked with him in well over a decade. If I were to guess, I'd say they'll offer Hamauzu the job for XVI. They've stuck with freelancers as lead composers since XII in non-MMO FFs.

(Assuming that Soken stays busy with XIV and that's likely.)

Mitsuda did work with SE recently with To Faraway Times: The Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross Arrange Album. But yeah, I don't really see any FF director left at SE requesting Mitsuda :/

W
A
T

All the times I was talking to you about how I think the menu music's shit without knowing you composed that one
JgZs64Q.png

To be fair, my issue was more with the decision to have menu music at all, not as much with the song itself.

I'm sorry, Faruko-senpai. Please forgive me. I love your other music on Soundcloud & Co!

emma-stone-omg-orjfu.gif

FFXII's OST is anything but memorable.

Nice? Yes. Memorable? Maybe the theme of FF.

Yeah. I'm actually with you there. XII is one of the weaker ones for me and I don't remember much of the soundtrack. Main Theme is one of my favorites, if not my favorite. Currently it's a battle between XV's and XII's Main Themes. They're both so good.

Wow, almost all my favorites are arranged by Yoshitaka Suzuki. Loving his arrangements of Prelude to bits too (sadly it didn't included in main OST whyyy). This guy's music really is my type.

Amen to that. From TWEWY to Crisis Core to Type-0, Takeharu Ishimoto is very versatile.

Prelude by Suzuki is one of my favorite tracks in the whole series. It's so good. Needs to find it's way into either the new scenes or DLC.

And yeah, I've loved Ishimoto's work for years. His new work on Dissidia is sooooo good.

In the last update the track in the opening CG has been changed. New track is a mix of Dawn and FF main theme and I don't think I've heard it in the OST I own. If you can answer this, when was it made and by whom?

I am sure this information will get out there one day...

Man... The opening CG music... that's a story.

Great response, Falk.

Can't answer that right now, sorry.

Yeah... :(

Well, that's not too surprising. Most of it sounds like generic film score, but it was clear most of it (probably) wasn't Shimomura.

Even the best pieces aren't that great though. *shrug*

'Kay...

Wait, really? Is an updated video online anywhere? (Google's turning up nothing)

Geg

I am sure this information will get out there one day...

Man... The opening CG music... that's a story.

*eyes emoji*

Anyway I hadn't heard anything about the opening music changing in the latest update, I'll have to check that out when I get home.

Dice//

Banned
I love this soundtrack dearly, but you can tell Shimomura's talents were stretched pretty thin. They should have went the Xenoblade route with a number of different composers.

Definitely in favour of this or even Tales games lately using a few main artists --- helps diversify the cast as much as a number of composers can change up the sound from being too 'samey'.

Reveirg

A professional orchestrator will prevent situations where, for example, you're trying to get horns to hold notes for 30 seconds straight, which is physically impossible.

Composers do that?

<_< .... >_>

On a serious note, glad to see the full credits finally available.

XII's OST is very different from the rest of the series, but it's definitely not forgettable. I do think the orchestrated HD soundtrack sounds way more impressive though.

Top Bottom