• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Sales "In Line With Expectations;" Square Enix Wants to Upgrade IPs to AAA Status

Draugoth

Gold Member
final-fantsy-xvi-clive-art.jpg

Today Square Enix published the transcripts from the latest financial results briefing, including interesting insight into Final Fantasy XVI's sales.

During the Q&A session, recently appointed CEO Takashi KIryu was asked how initial sales of Final Fantasy XVI (3 million copies in the first week) compared to expectations and how Square Enix plans to expand them further going forward.

Kiryu-san mentioned that sales are in line with the company's expectations, contradicting previous press reports alleging that they may have disappointed.

This achievement was in line with our expectations. To expand sales, we have planned a variety of PR activities and other initiatives to encourage more of the growing PlayStation5 installed base to play the title.

Interestingly, Kiryu-san mentioned that he would like to identify existing IPs that can be upgraded to AAA status rather than relying only on creating new IPs.

I want to improve our profitability. I see ample room for improvement in our operating profit margin and would like to start by working primarily on our HD games.
In addition, rather than solely attempting to create brand‐new IPs, we intend take a nuanced approach to investment whereby we also identify existing IPs with the potential to be upgraded to AAA status, taking ROI into account as well. In so doing, we hope to establish greater depth to the layers of our portfolio.

Transcript

VnKHGFT.png

Madflavor

3 million for a console exclusive Week 1, is a perfectly respectable number. RE4R did similar numbers, on multiple platforms, but nobody made a peep about that. You know why? Because everyone knows 3 million is fine.

But if it's for a game they have a personal grudge against? Well then 3 mil =/= 5 mil, therefore flop.

Last edited:
Only Xenogears Remake can save them...

Is there much value in remaking Xenogears if you can't continue the franchise? I think the boat has left the harbor on this one.

When you look historically at their IP, they've really missed a lot of opportunities.

I've always thought they could have made Seiken Densetsu into a really big MMORPG.

Unknown?

Uh oh, thrlere goes the FF16 narrative. They tried hard last thread.
3 million for a console exclusive Week 1, is a perfectly respectable number. RE4R did similar numbers, on multiple platforms, but nobody made a peep about that. You know why? Because everyone knows 3 million is fine.

But if it's for a game they have a personal grudge against? Well then 3 mil =/= 5 mil, therefore flop.

It became a victim of Microsoft's army of influencers and shills trying to fight a console war. In a sane world, the sales of FFXVI would be considered fine considering it was launched on a single platform which was heavily held back in sales volume by a global pandemic. No one expects a Final Fantasy title to sell 10 million in the first week anymore.

KingT731

It became a victim of Microsoft's army of influencers and shills trying to fight a console war. In a sane world, the sales of FFXVI would be considered fine considering it was launched on a single platform which was heavily held back in sales volume by a global pandemic. No one expects a Final Fantasy title to sell 10 million in the first week anymore.
anymore? They never did...even the runaway success that was FF7 took 8 years to get near 10M

Klayzer

Next week's headline: Square CEO says FFXVI sales are dissapointing. You can never tell with this company.

yurinka

I want a Chrono Trigger remake or direct sequel with FFXVI/FFVII Rebirth level visuals but still keeping the Akira Toriyama style.

Also, Square owns Taito, so I'd ask them to make:
  • High budget 2D Bubble Bobble, Arkanoid, Darius, Parasol Stars sequels
  • New Zealand Story, Rainbow Islands, Toki AAA 3D platformer sequels
  • Real AAA Operation Wolf, Chase H.Q. VR sequels

Last edited:
Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
3.4 million in 4 weeks for TR multiplatform, 3 million in 3 days FFXIV only on PlayStation. Keep up the good work though, you're making Papa Phil *mighty* proud 👍

Their own estimate doesn't include digital sales. Regardless, Square being needlessly disappointed in their Western divisions sales is a pretty well known meme at this point.

Also, it's a third party game, what does Phil have to do with this? 🤔

Madflavor

9ctXBbz.jpg

Fuckin' Square.
3.4 million in 4 weeks for TR multiplatform, 3 million in 3 days FFXIV only on PlayStation. Keep up the good work though, you're making Papa Phil *mighty* proud 👍

Wasn't Square's disappointment in TR2013 ten years ago? I know people love to bring that up, but it's not outside the realm of reality that a company would re-evaluate their outlook on sales expectations over the course of a decade.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
bc59bb8d5dc776ddd7a26bbda495f5e7--birthday-games-third-birthday.jpg

Playing that in 4K would be fantastic.

Seriously, find a way to bring back Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story. Shine some light on those IPs left behind in the PS1 era. I could really use the former in 4K.

A AAA parasite Eve would be insane.

Looking at Squares massive portfolio the easiest AAAs , if they don’t consider them AAA already would be Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts.

I’d personally love seeing them make more games of the quality of triangle strategy and octopath 2 since that’s been their best releases lately.

They’ve failed making star ocean relevant at all because tri ace gets a shoe string budget.

Time to release The Bouncer 2 to save their sinking stock prices.

Madflavor

A AAA parasite Eve would be insane.

Looking at Squares massive portfolio the easiest AAAs , if they don’t consider them AAA already would be Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts.

I’d personally love seeing them make more games of the quality of triangle strategy and octopath 2 since that’s been their best releases lately.

They’ve failed making star ocean relevant at all because tri ace gets a shoe string budget.

Time to release The Bouncer 2 to save their sinking stock prices.
bc59bb8d5dc776ddd7a26bbda495f5e7--birthday-games-third-birthday.jpg

Playing that in 4K would be fantastic.

Seriously, find a way to bring back Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story. Shine some light on those IPs left behind in the PS1 era. I could really use the former in 4K.

Do we even want Square to bring back Parasite Eve? Didn't the completely and utterly assassinate Aya Brea as a character in the last entry, which wasn't even a good game to begin with?

graywolf323

Wasn't Square's disappointment in TR2013 ten years ago? I know people love to bring that up, but it's not outside the realm of reality that a company would re-evaluate their outlook on sales expectations over the course of a decade.
you gotta understand, a publisher having expectations 10 years ago is relevant to today

a console manufacturer saying things in internal emails as recently as 2-3 years ago however isn’t relevant at all

Think About It GIF by Identity

edit: /s

Last edited:

Fbh

Good for FFXVI but overall I think Square is in a catch 22 scenario.

Their best quality stuff are these HD-2D games like Octopath 2 and Triangle Strategy. But they struggle to find a bigger audience because of their relatively simple presentation and high price.

But they can't make games like that with AAA production values because 18 years after the launch of the 360 they still seem to struggle with HD game development.

With Square its either good and consistent quality or high production values. They can't do both.

Top Bottom