• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Battlefield Devs Making A Monster Game With A Cool New Perspective

Sneak peek
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OHFlIpN0ROw

Former designers from the Battlefield series are looking to try something a little different. In Project Wight, players control an intelligent monster whose kind has been driven to near extinction by humanity.

Project Wight is the current focus of The Outsiders, a studio founded by David Goldfarb and Ben Cousins. The duo have worked on various titles in the Battlefield series included the much loved Battlefield: Bad Company 2. The studio released a sneak peek of their game yesterday.
He cites John Gardner’s Grendel as an inspiration for the change to a non-human perspective. The two also see plenty of opportunities for interesting gameplay that capitalizes on the monster’s ability to do what humans can’t.

“We’re inventing this species of creatures. We can invent what it does,”
Cousins explained.

Project Wight is also a technical passion project. The game is developed using Unity. The duo are eager to show that the engine can deliver an experience on par with AAA productions. The project still has a long way to go but the team is optimistic.

http://kotaku.com/former-battlefield-devs-making-a-monster-game-with-a-co-1788504696

Evolve me if old.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Why use Unity over something like UE4?

Just to prove a point?

Just to prove a point?

They probably already built a prototype in Unity and know their way around the ins and outs of the engine more so than UE4...

It isnt like knowing one allows you infinite knowledge of another.

sinxtanx

Just to prove a point?

Unity works if you know what you're doing, just look at Ori. I do think this game (from the teaser) looks more suited for UE4. I guess the team has more Unity experience and seeing as they are a small team, no need to take any steeper risks than they have to.

Honestly, I'm wondering how deep the combat will be. That looked a bit restrictive. Seems it was basically press Q to attack the jugular. But the concept is neat. But I need to see more.

Top Bottom