• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former SNL writer/comedian kicked off stage at Columbia University for 'inappropriate' standup set

ZehDon

Gold Member
That Joe Rogan pod cast episode was very interesting - Patel explained quite clearly that the majority of people present had no issues with his material. It wasn’t the whole room - just a very small handful who were looking to be offended. He had a second set slated that night elsewhere, and by the time he was there, he’d received support messages from people from when he was shut down.

Why do people allow such a small minority to take control and virtually re-shape a culture around their desire to be outraged all the time? I just can’t comprehend it.

cryptoadam

Banned
Are you fucking kidding me?

So he's defending the notion that you are born gay and it's not a choice, and as a comedic example says an oppressed person would not want to be further oppressed. This is sort of just standard leftist positions, you're born gay not a choice, blacks and gays are oppressed.

Ya wait. Was his set in front of a bunch of conservative christians who believe homosexuality is a sin or something?

Like you said you would think leftist would agree that being gay isn't a choice.

tkscz

What is happening in American college campus is surreal. These students are more insufferable than a Victorian era sanctimonious nanny.

I shit you not it's always been like this. Try interviewing or talking to a Vietnam vet who was forced to go. You find out quick what happens to them when they try to go to college. College campuses are crowded with the "activist" type who make themselves loud and heard. This isn't new, it's been going on for a long time now. Just with the internet, it's more noticeable.

As for the joke, that was barely on the same level of a black comedian making black jokes. But lets be honest here, unless you're John Mulaney, who the activist types will lick the floor he pisses on, you are not allowed to do any comedy.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I’m continually surprised as a nearly 40 year old how much more conservative everyone is becoming. I had always assumed the follow up generations would just become more and more liberal.

It’s a weird hybrid of ‘treat the gays better but also treat everyone like shit’

I don’t get it and I’m glad I’m old.

Shifty

Not surprised that it was a small subset of hand-wringers who decided cutting the mic halfway was an appropriate course of action.

Like, fuck letting him finish and taking the professional "we won't be working with you again but thanks for your time" approach. We have to silence this man as soon as is humanly possible in case he puts our audience through a 'damaging', 'traumatic', or 'offensive' experience. They could be scarred for life!

I’m continually surprised as a nearly 40 year old how much more conservative everyone is becoming. I had always assumed the follow up generations would just become more and more liberal.
Indeed. I considered myself 'progressive' in my teenage years and figured that was the way things were going to go, but things have swung so far to the extreme that I don't want anything to do with it anymore.

Indeed. I considered myself 'progressive' in my teenage years and figured that was the way things were going to go, but things have swung so far to the extreme that I don't want anything to do with it anymore.
It's no longer acceptable to just have one -essive in your life anymore. Now you have to be progressive, regressive, repressive, excessive, oppressive, obsessive, and especially aggressive. Ironically, the one -essive you can't be is transgressive.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I was just watching some Bill Burr stand up; these fucking snowflakes would die on the spot. I wonder what would happen if they saw some of Jim Jerfferies' stand up?

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom