• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox and Marvel Creating X-Men Based Action-Adventure Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says.

The Untitled Fox Marvel Project will focus on two ordinary parents who discover their children possess mutant powers. Forced to go on the run from a hostile government, the family joins up with an underground network of mutants and must fight to survive. The series will be produced by 20th Century Fox Television and Marvel Television, with 20th Century Fox handling physical production.
“Marvel Television is thrilled to be co-producing with 20th Century Fox Television on our first project,” added Jeph Loeb, Executive Producer and Head of Marvel Television. “Matt’s a huge fan of X-Men and his take on the X-Men universe, with its rich characters and high-stakes adventure, is exactly the show we want on FOX. It's a great team of creative producers who will be making something entirely unique.”

The Untitled Fox Marvel Project is a co-production of 20th Century Fox Television and Marvel Television. Matt Nix (FOX’s upcoming "APB," “Burn Notice”) will write the pilot script and serve as an Executive Producer. Lauren Shuler Donner (“X-Men: Apocalypse,” “X-Men: Days of Future Past,” “The Wolverine”), Bryan Singer (“X-Men: Apocalypse,” “X-Men: Days of Future Past”), Simon Kinberg (“X-Men: Days of Future Past,” “Fantastic Four”), Jeph Loeb (“Marvel’s Daredevil,” “Marvel’s Jessica Jones”) and Jim Chory (“Marvel’s Daredevil,” “Marvel’s Jessica Jones”) serve as Executive Producers.

I think this is going to be a show about the Morlocks. They are, as far as I can recall, the only "underground" mutant group that have a deep enough creative background to use as a basis for a TV show.

EDIT: Thanks, mods, for the title change!

I don't understand the title of this thread

Same here

'A put pilot is a pilot that the network has agreed to air either as a special or series. If the network does not air the pilot episode, the network will owe substantial monetary penalties to the studio. Generally, this guarantees that the pilot will be picked up by the network.'

tldr; a put pilot is a pilot that will absolutely air or they get owned for it

Marvel Tele co-producing? One step closer to a united Marvel and Fox relationship.

ogdwuv.gif

I don't understand the title of this thread

Fox = TV network.
Put Pilot Commitment = a guarantee by the network to get the idea filmed as a pilot and air it in some form. From there, they can either approve it to become a full-fledged series or reject it & allow the creators to shop the show elsewhere.
New Marvel Action-Adventure Series = Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. but better.

xRaizen

'A put pilot is a pilot that the network has agreed to air either as a special or series. If the network does not air the pilot episode, the network will owe substantial monetary penalties to the studio. Generally, this guarantees that the pilot will be picked up by the network.'

Oh okay thanks. I'd never heard that term before.

Corpekata

Banned
Dunno about the whole ordinary parents with mutant kids angle. Can imagine the "I'd do anything for mah family" speeches already. Plus network TV has never been the best when it comes to child actors.

Cool. Learn something new everyday.

Corpekata

Banned
Yeah I'd have a lot more faith in the FX show personally. Fox doesn't have much interesting going on these days. Has a good cast so far too.

Ahh this is for Fox FOX

Step up from FX or whatever the other two are for

I don't think so. FX, as unwatched as it may be, would allow for greater creative expression than one of the major networks. Half the reason I care about "Legion" at all is the fact that Noah Hawley is working on it at a network that gives him a lot of creative leeway, so it'll try to be better than its comic book heritage would imply. This being on FOX worries me they'll water it down into whatever procedural type works best for the show, although with more serialized genre fare like "The Exorcist" coming up, I hope they let the property become better than "which mutant can we befriend this week?" with serialized elements.

Three things to note:

1. I assume this is replacing Hellfire, which was announced for Fox at the same time as Legion last fall but doesn't seem to have gone anywhere.
2. Marvel might have some actual involvement with this one, since Loeb is quoted here, whereas only Fox people were quoted in the Hellfire/Legion PR, despite Marvel co-producing.
3. A put pilot "commitment," despite what you'll find as a definition if you Google the term, is not actually a commitment at all. Plenty of put pilots never get actual pilot orders; I can only assume it's just a means for a network to get dibs on a show it might want on its upcoming schedule, and that the penalty fee is much less than the cost of actually producing a pilot.

See above. That definition is no longer true; if you just Google the phrase in news stories from last fall, you can easily find a half-dozen or so put pilot "commitments" that never resulted in an actual pilot.

Three things to note:

1. I assume this is replacing Hellfire, which was announced for Fox at the same time as Legion last fall but doesn't seem to have gone anywhere.
2. Marvel might have some actual involvement with this one, since Loeb is quoted here, whereas only Fox people were quoted in the Hellfire/Legion PR, despite Marvel co-producing.
3. A put pilot "commitment," despite what you'll find as a definition if you Google the term, is not actually a commitment at all. Plenty of put pilots never get actual pilot orders; I can only assume it's just a means for a network to get dibs on a show it might want on its upcoming schedule, and that the penalty fee is much less than the cost of actually producing a pilot.
Hellfire got dropped IIRC and the people on it moved to things like 24.

See above. That definition is no longer true; if you just Google the phrase in news stories from last fall, you can easily find a half-dozen or so put pilot "commitments" that never resulted in an actual pilot.

Ignore exactly what this liar says, my word is bond and I totally didn't just grab the Wikipedia definition because I was too lazy to actually explain it

Marvel Tele co-producing? One step closer to a united Marvel and Fox relationship.

ogdwuv.gif

Yup, this is the only thing I care about coming out of this news. FF in Phase 4!

I really wouldn't hope for that. TV and Studios are two separate divisions in Disney. Working out a deal with Studios is likely going to be much more complicated and pain-staking than it will be for Marvel TV. Although, one sign of hope may be the fact that Marvel TV and Fox made the deal at all, considering the rumors of Ike's spite for the Fox-owned heroes.

So ordinary people then? Thank God, I was scared there might be super heroes in it or something.

Just so long as there are no remotely recognizable characters from the comics, especially not any who are women or minorities, and definitely none of the ones who wear bright colored costumes and have outlandish powers.

Can you imagine how shitty it would be if they tried to have a series about say...

Dazzler?

A popstar who is also a superhero with the ability to create beautiful displays of light or powerful blasts of energy. The crossover appear for all ages and genders is just too much.

Even worse would be something like...

Forge.

A dude who reflects contrasting and even contrary aspects of humanity being both a shaman and a mutant techno genius with prosthetic limbs and a story that can easily include war, racism, fear of technology, religion, and numerous other interesting subjects.

I am so happy to be spared anything that might remotely make use of the amazing depth and breadth of possibilities that the X-Men license holds.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Eww, sounds boring. Give me a Runaways TV series instead.

background.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom