• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox news finally telling the truth

GTI Guy

Fox News Dropping 'Fair & Balanced' Slogan After Two Decades

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/fo...decades/ar-BBCGon0?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

You can’t call Fox News “fair and balanced” anymore… because they’re not calling themselves that anymore.

The cable news network is dropping its famous “Fair & Balanced” marketing slogan, according to New York Magazine — a slogan that’s been an integral part of Fox News since the channel debuted in 1996. The motto was an invention of late founder/chairman Roger Ailes, who resigned last year after a series of sexual-harassment allegations. Fox will reportedly rely on its other tagline going forward: “Most Watched. Most Trusted.”
The “Fair & Balanced” moniker was a controversial one, viewed by some as a way for the conservative-leaning news channel to feign editorial objectivity. (NY Mag‘s Gabriel Sherman calls it an example of “Ailes’ cynical genius at its most successful.”) But Ailes insisted it was a necessary guideline to fight the tide of a largely liberal media. “He would say, ‘The news is like a ship. If you take hands off the wheel, it pulls hard to the left,'” a Fox News senior producer remembers.

The move is the latest sign that Fox News is busy rebuilding its identity in the wake of Ailes’ departure, along with the high-profile exits of anchors Megyn Kelly (who left to join NBC News) and Bill O’Reilly (who was fired following his own sexual-harassment scandal).

A Fox News spokesperson confirmed that the network hasn’t used the “Fair & Balanced” slogan in external marketing or on-air promotions since August, but said “the shift has nothing to do with programming or editorial decisions.”

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
They should also adopt WP's "Democracy Dies in Darkness" slogan, because it's just as appropriate for them in very different ways.

But Ailes insisted it was a necessary guideline to fight the tide of a largely liberal media. “He would say, ‘The news is like a ship. If you take hands off the wheel, it pulls hard to the left,'” a Fox News senior producer remembers.

W T F

jett

D-Member
Faux News has probably done irreparable damage to Murica.

But out of curiosity I wonder what news sources did right-wing Americans seek out before its existence.

Their ratings plummeting since Trump's election has been widely publicized.

Plummeted is strong, but yeah, they are third overall now. They are still pretty up at the oldest demo, but they are pretty down on the key demo of 24-49. There's really no 'star' there either, outside Hannity.

giphy.gif

jelly

Surely if they aren't the most watch they can't use that slogan. False advertising. Does that apply in the US?

But Ailes insisted it was a necessary guideline to fight the tide of a largely liberal media. “He would say, ‘The news is like a ship. If you take hands off the wheel, it pulls hard to the left,'” a Fox News senior producer remembers.

I wonder why

wildfire

Banned
STILL a lie. I think they dropped to 3rd in news networks recently.
The first is a half lie. The second isn't something that can be debated.

I say half truth because while their ratings have gone down the are still the most watched by any ideological group.

60% of Conservatives only watch Fox News.

Liberals are spread out across so many different sources none of them have a dedicated fan base anything like Fox News.

New slogan is "Most watched, Most trusted"

.....both statements are true, sadly.

They've slipped in ratings and are currently losing to both CNN and MSNBC

I think that was for one week.

EDIT: http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/cable-news-ratings-fox-news-msnbc-1202017940/

Yup. They posted the highest rated quarter in cable news history. Rumors of their demise are #FakeNews

Hmmm ... will have to wait for full quarter results I suppose. Bummer

Second quarter isn't even over yet, brah.

Are you going to celebrate weekly victories but ignore quarterlies?

There's a five month difference between now and that article, of which they lost their highest rated show, brah. And no one said "demise" anyway. I don't think anyone seriously thinks they're on a literal death March, but they are on a downturn and number 3 right now.

There's a five month difference between now and that article, of which they lost their highest rated show, brah. And no one said "demise" anyway. I don't think anyone seriously thinks they're on a literal death March, but they are on a downturn and number 3 right now.

It's June, in what world is March five months ago?

I think Fox News is giving you the vapors.

Top Bottom