• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freddie Gray case: Baltimore Police Officer found not guilty of all charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rpgmonkey

My understanding is that he was always going to be one of the tougher cases, not even factoring in the various advantages he has in the system. :/

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the officers that are felt to have more of the blame in the death occurring, particularly those riding in/driving the van...

Lime

CjJ-bPuWgAAw1cE.jpg

The attorney for the family of Freddie Gray is commending the judge who acquitted a police officer charged in Gray's arrest and says the family respects the verdict.

Billy Murphy said Monday that Baltimore Circuit Judge Barry Williams should be commended for "not bending to public opinion in analyzing this case."

Murphy obtained a $6.4 million settlement for Gray's family. He says he doesn't think anyone should be upset by the verdict. He says Gray's family was looking for a fair process based on evidence, and that there's no reason to remove Williams from the rest of the cases.

Of the Gray family, Murphy said they respect the judge's decision.

Murphy says judges are trained to compartmentalize their decision and Williams has demonstrated his ability to do that.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/latest-officer-acquitted-freddie-gray-case-39308531

I haven't seen anyone in this thread provide or point to one piece of evidence that says this particular individual should be found guilty.

The judge didn't think the evidence was there, either.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/freddie-gray-case-officer-edward-nero-verdict/

"The state's theory has been one of recklessness and negligence," Baltimore Circuit Judge Barry Williams said. "There has been no evidence that the defendant intended for a crime to occur."

Glad he saw that. I am all for punishing cops if they deserve it. I think cops are out of control all across the country, but a LOT of it is NOT racially motivated. White people have terrible experiences from white police officers all the time. I had one myself. I was driving home from work and a cop accused me of being on drugs.

The evidence in this case is clear and points to Gray injuring himself in the van.

Strike

weinvestigatedourselvesandclearedourselvesofanywrongdoing.jpg

Sad to say, but people aren't really going to starting pushing for change unless it starts to personally affect them.

Nah but remember GAF racism isn't an issue in this country.

That's what all these threads every single day every 6 hours or so teach me.

I was so upset when I heard this. There is more than enough proof the way he was man-handled led to his death. Justice failed yet again...
so Freddie Gray just up and died for no reason?
The theory is that he hurt himself in the back of a cop car. He was not buckled in which is a red flag. He is in handcuffs, he cannot buckle himself in.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Glad he saw that. I am all for punishing cops if they deserve it. I think cops are out of control all across the country, but a LOT of it is NOT racially motivated. White people have terrible experiences from white police officers all the time. I had one myself. I was driving home from work and a cop accused me of being on drugs.

The evidence in this case is clear and points to Gray injuring himself in the van.

What evidence was that?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Reminder: The medical examiner ruled Freddie's Gray's death a homicide. Someone else's actions caused him to die. Namely, the police's actions. Was he making an attempt on their life? If not, then they had no right to deprive him of life. The only time you have the right to deprive someone else of life is when it is necessary to preserve your own, and you are not at fault for the circumstances.

Still have racists coming in here saying he injured himself and calling his murderers innocent and saying systemic racism doesn't exist. Fucking disgusting.

From the first trial that ended in a hung jury it seemed like they were trying to place all the blame on the driver sounds like the same happened here too. Hopefully he actually gets charged with something but I doubt it.

Rpgmonkey

I feel like you're kinda jumping the gun here, this is only one of the trials and for a guy a lot of people seem to be in agreement was unlikely to be as involved in the circumstances that allowed Gray to be injured and die than (at least some of) the other officers. If Judge Williams (who from what I've been reading since he was decided as the judge is a pretty stand-up guy who tries to remain objective) looked at the evidence and decided that this was indeed the case fair enough, to be honest if I'm understanding what went on in this trial enough I'm not even sure if he should take much blame, but Williams himself made it very clear that this means nothing regarding the other officers where a stronger argument could be made that they were much more responsible for ensuring Gray's safety and his eventual death.

But we'll see...

Edit: Well now, lol. :/

Kyzer

Banned
wait so is this not the guy who failed to strap him in? how is that not negligence? the evidence would be Freddie Gray dying from not being strapped in

has the driver who "checked in on him" already been tried?

Friggz

crazy%20cousin_zpscgej8clc.jpg

my lunatic cousin, who is exactly what is wrong with this country, posted this hum dinger.

if you arent a straight, white, christian. He doesnt like you.

Atenhaus

Nero was one of the bike cops, right? This honestly doesn't surprise me that he got off. It seems the consensus is that the paddywagon cops bear the responsibility in Grey's death. We'll see how Goodson fares now. I'm gonna be pissed if he gets off.

DrSlek

I read an article about this earlier and was baffled because I couldn't remember which case this was. This shit is happening so often in the US that I'm losing track!

The evidence in this case is clear and points to the poster perming himself in the thread.

Ah hahaha. Brilliant. Even if people legitimately have some questions there's a way to ask with proper respect and not condescension. To just glibly put it all down to everyone overreacting is just being purposefully obtuse and argumentative.

Not to mention I'm really not sure how easily someone can bash themselves against the inside of a van and kill themselves. It just doesn't seem doable in a realistic scenario to me but, EH I'm no scientist

You don't understand. You think you have a full perspective, but you're still not close to what it's like for those who aren't you.

You got pulled over once. Chris Rock, one of our most famous celebrities, got pulled over so much he started documenting it on the Internet. Sandra Bland ended up dead. Sam Dubose ended up dead with four cops found lying to the world about what they did. Levar Jones reached for his ID and got shot. Keaton Otis was shot after he told a grandmother witness "don't leave, they'll kill me."

Your story isn't close.

Hi guys, asking questions here because I'm not American "pls be gentle"

1. What is the back of a police van like? Is it two benches on either side of the back of a van? Do those benches usually have seatbelts or some other type of bodily restraint?

2. It said he was arrested with serious force. Was it proven that he hadn't received the spinal injury in the arrest itself rather than the ride?

3. I searched Wikipedia for the case and it said it's believed that he was given a "rough ride", which is where the officers intentionally drive the vehicle in a manner which would injure someone in the back of the van. Did any dash cam footage or any other footage ever surface to prove that driving erratically occurred?

I searched for some of this stuff but a lot of the sources are almost identical in their descriptions of events.

An old white woman, in london, said to me "its a shame about those black boys getting killed by the cops in the states." Just set me back because, hell, that clear statement is hard to find even in the more liberal parts of the country. Not to say it doesn't exist, it was just jarring to hear someone so far from home know exactly whats up. Meanwhile.. Go back to africa if you don't like getting murdered by police, etc, etc.
It's depressing how most of America has normalized these events. It doesn't register. Another day, more dead black people, more crooked cops, whatever. We see so much trauma all the time that we're numb to it.

Apt101

He even beat the associated misconduct charge. Wow. So a cop can take just help place a guy who can barely walk because he's so gravely injured into a van, a man who was in clear and intense pain, not request medical aid, walk away and it's all good. "Because training".

antonz

Prosecution fucked up big time when they gave the Arresting Officer Immunity and planned to use him as the smoking gun to get the others.

He turned the immunity around and used it to claim full responsibility for arresting actions etc. and basically blue shielded the others when on the stand. Between the obvious racial undertones and biases the immunity set this up to fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom