• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free Comic Book Day 2016 (Saturday, May 7th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
vsf4dIl.gif

FCBD16.png

What is it?

Free Comic Book Day is a nation wide celebration of comic books and comic book shops in America. It has taken place every May for the last 15 years to help introduce new readers into the world of comics, and to give Comic Shop owners a much needed bump to their profits for the month of May. Locate A Store and head on out this Saturday! Every event is different, so please feel free to call your local shop after you have located it and find out what they have in store.

The Comics

One of the largest perks of Free Comic Book Day is...you guessed it...FREE COMICS. For both weekly readers and new fans alike, there is always something worth your time to head on our and pick up, and for those of us already invested in Marvel/DC, this event usually kicks off whatever big comic event they have in store for us over the next calendar year. Make sure you pick up the preview comic of what they have in store for our favorite characters this year! Please see the list of what is worth picking up this year:

Archie #1 FCBD Edition
STK697832.jpg

Enjoy this free copy of the first issue of Mark Waid (Daredevil, Kingdom Come) and Fiona Staples (Saga) fresh new take on Archie, adapting the characters for a new generation with gorgeous art. Staples is only on the book through issue 3, but it uses superstar artists on the book throughout it's run. This is a must read and a worth introduction into the world of Archie.

Continue reading Archie
Comixology
You may also like: https://www.comixology.com/Jughead-...t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI]Jughead

BOOM! Studios Summer Blast For 2016

STK699256.jpg

Discover the world of BOOM! Studios and read one of the most charming comics and GLAAD Media Award For Outstanding Book award winner, Lumberjanes...for Free! I Personally love this book and what Kate Leyh has done throughout its entire run, so I suggest you pick this up if you are a fan of things like Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, or slice of life stories.

lumberjanes.png

Continue Reading Lumberjanes
Comixology
You make also like: Goldie Vance

All New All Different Avengers #1 Aka Civil War II Preview

STK699301.jpg

Read more about the post Secret War's Avengers squad written by Mark Waid! The real meat of this issue is for those who are curious about Civil War II by Brian Michael Bendis, and what will likely serve as the "prequel story" for the event. Check this out and find out more about All-New Wasp!

Continue Reading ANAD Avengers
Comixology
You May Also Like: Invincible Iron Man

Valiant 4001AD Special

STK697828.jpg

The event of the year that nobody is going to read starts here! Discover the world of Valiant comics and check out this new event. Have some flavor text:

The most ambitious Valiant event yet starts right here on Free Comic Book Day with a shocking new vision of the future in 4001 A.D.! The war for the fate of the 41st century begins here with an exclusive, never-before-seen prelude to the blockbuster comics event of the summer by New York Times best-selling writer Matt Kindt and superstar artist Clayton Crain. Rai! Eternal Warrior! X-O Manowar! Bloodshot! Geomancer! Armstrong! And more! The future of the Valiant Universe begins here! Plus: An all-new look inside Valiant's next hit ongoing series, A&A: The Adventures of Archer & Armstrong, from Rafer Roberts and David Lafuente; Divinity II from Matt Kindt and Trevor Hairsine; plus an all-new slate of top-secret teasers, special features, surprises, and a newly added excerpt from the series that has everyone talking - the one and only Faith!

Thats about all I have to say about that.

STK698195.jpg

Discover the best that British comics has to offer with this free copy of 2000AD (With an incredible Mike Allred Judge Dredd cover). This is usually my personal highlight of FCBD because its not traditionally an easy thing to get here in America. I suggest you pick this up if you are looking for some (probably) drug induced comics that really push what the medium is all about. Pick this up if you're interested in Judge Dredd, but stay for the 2000AD weirdness. You can inquire about a subscription at your local comic shop.

Captain America #1 FCBD 2016

STK699306.jpg

Steve Rogers is returning to comics this May, and you can get your first taste on FREE COMIC BOOK DAY. This issue will get you caught up just in time for the release of Captain America: Steve Rogers #1, coming to comics later in May!
Three Captain Americas fought shoulder-to-shoulder in AVENGERS: STANDOFF. Now, one rises to take his place at the forefront of the Marvel Universe! Nick Spencer and Jesus Saiz usher in a new beginning for the nation's greatest hero!
But that's not all! FCBD CAPTAIN AMERICA #1 will also feature a second all-new story and a special prelude to DEAD NO MORE, giving fans their first look at the blockbuster storyline coming later this year. If you got a chance to bring back someone who died, would you? And how will CLASSIFIED deal when ones they thought long dead once again walk the earth?
TOP SECRET and TOP SECRET unite to bring you the opening salvo of Dead No More, a major storyline coming in 2016!

Kind of sad he is comic back tbh but it's to be expected. If you enjoy this, please check out the real Captain America: Captain America:Sam Wilson

Love And Rockets FCBD Sampler

STK699268.jpg

WOW. What a series and what looks like is the replacement for Hip Hop Family Tree this year. Really wonderful story and a personal ComicGAF recommendation of mine, check this out and then immediately run and pick it up on Comixology

One Punch Man/My Hero Academia

STK699269.jpg

Check out two of the best comics that Shonen manga has to offer at this moment with One Punch Man and My Hero Academia (Make sure you stop by the My Hero Academia Community Thread for more.

So that's it. These are some of the best that Free Comic Book day has to offer and more for those of you interested in the rest. Feel free to post questions, pictures, your hauls, and anything else related to your free comic book adventures (or previous adventures and experiences). My biggest suggestion is to get there as early as possible so you can get in and out without much hassle. Make sure you take the time to buy something as well! Most of these comic shops go out of their way to make the event happen and it isn't particularly cheap. Try to donate to whatever local charity that may be represented at the event, maybe get a quick sketch from a local artist, and more importantly:

HAVE FUN!

Have any questions? Stop by our ComicGAF May 2016 Community Thread

Zombine

Banned
It's sort of a quiet year for books with the exception of the event prequels, but I'm ok with the selection. I may pick up that Street Fighter comic as well.

We also have/had this in Germany quite a few times, but my impression was that you only get 1 chapter out of every comic or Manga, so it often feels more like what a "demo" would be if they still exist today.

Zombine

Banned
We also have/had this in Germany quite a few times, but my impression was that you only get 1 chapter out of every comic or Manga, so it often feels more like what a "demo" would be if they still exist today.

That's pretty much what all of these books are. They are hooks to get you into the full release.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Valent looks cool. Can someone tell me what that's all about?

GeeTeeCee

Ahh yes, the time of year when I suddenly realise that I haven't read half the free comics I queued for ages for last year. I'm not ready.

Valent looks cool. Can someone tell me what that's all about?

Valiant is another smaller publisher that has its own shared universe of heroes like Marvel and DC do. They were around in the 90s, but they went tits up. Some dude acquired the rights to the characters and rebooted the company in 2012. They've been putting out some high quality stuff since then. While they share aspects with the big two companies, they are not bound by as many ideas or structures as DC or Marvel. They focus on telling good stories that "happen" to be about heroes, and letting the writers have full reign to do so, even though it's a stable of established characters.

If you want a good entry point into the universe, try one of their $10 trades for Harbinger, Archer & Armstrong, The Valiant, Ivar Timewalker, or Ninjak. I'm not sure how accessible 4001 AD will be relative to those, but Valiant is pretty good about creating jumping-on points for new readers, so it's a safe bet you can jump straight into this FCBD issue no problems. Although if you're feeling like reading up on that backstory, you'd want to go through Rai Vol 1-3.

Also, since I guess it bears mentioning for anyone else looking at the 4001 AD FCBD issue with confusion, Valiant has three concurrent timelines:

-Present day (where most of the books take place)
-Present + 30 years (which is when the current Bloodshot arc takes place)
-4001 AD where Rai and this event take place.

Hope that clears anything up.

Penguin

Also looking forward to the start of this

STK699531.jpg

Class is in session! Welcome to DC Super Hero High!
DC Super Hero Girls is an exciting new universe of superhero storytelling that builds character and confidence and empowers girls to discover their true potential.
This special FCBD issue features two exciting, action-packed stories from the upcoming original graphic novel DC SUPER HERO GIRLS: FINAL CRISIS that readers of all ages will enjoy.
It's the day before finals and the student body is hard at work...and nothing is going right! Wonder Woman spars with Cheetah in gym class as Batgirl and Supergirl watch from the sidelines. In the next class, the girls sit next to an empty seat. Where could Supergirl be?
Don't miss this chance to meet the students as they find out that fun, friendship and hard work are all part of growing up!

Zombine

Banned
Not too excited about the selection this year.

I end up buying nicnacks I don't really need more than grabbing the comics.

If they have the Negan bank I'll probably get that, whatever the exclusive heroclix piece is, and some
Blind box figure.

Zombine

Banned
Just a bump reminder that tomorrow is Free Comic Book day! Hope everyone partaking in the festivities has fun tomorrow!

ReAxion

Tame offerings.

BUT, head to your local shop anyway, as they are probably having some kind of sales/promotions.

Zombine

Banned
Had a wonderful afternoon. Weather is great, bought some stuff at my comic shop, and got my free books. I would suggest picking up 2000AD if you go and want to try something new. There's a really damn good Joelle Jones Dredd back up story in this year's issue.

Metalmarc

Couldnt make it to comic book day in the shops due to illness, so to cheer me up bought some second hand Dredd books online (yes i know online defeats the object of actually going to you local cb store but i will when i get better)

I read a ton of dredd between 1995-late 96/97, including a lot of older books, so a lot of these i found reasonably priced each in quite good condition as a sort of throwback to that time, i really need to get back into Dredd proper again, i did try when they announced they making the Dredd movie way back in 09/10. Got distracted by other hobbies though.

This is what i got.

image.jpg

The books are

Judge Dredd yearbooks 1992-1995, Emerald Isle, Democracy Now and Mechanismo.

Toooooooday is the greeeeeeeatest day I've ever known!

FCBD issues:
The Legend of Korra
Attack on Titan Anthology
Civil War 2

My LCS only allows three issues per person.

Also bought a bunch of back issues, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Vol. 1: Shell Unleashed, and Robin Vol. 2: Triumphant.

Zombine

Banned
Toooooooday is the greeeeeeeatest day I've ever known!

FCBD issues:
The Legend of Korra
Civil War 2

My LCS only allows three issues per person.

Also bought a bunch of back issues, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Vol. 1: Shell Unleashed, and Robin Vol. 2: Triumphant.

Three?! Man that's rough. 5 is the sweet spot. Nice haul though! Good on you for buying stuff.

Got the Suicide Squad FCBD issue (only allowed one here), and bought these as well. So thrilled I got the Aaron books signed!

m2g4Rj6.jpg

bigkrev

Oh, I always buy at least something from every store I get free comics from. I bought the first 2 issues of the MMPR ongoing at the first store (lets you take 3), and bought Punisher 1 and Deadpool Masacre 1 from the other store (lets you take 5).

I want to shout one of my LCS, Stormwatch Comics in New Jersey, which also was letting people take any 5 comics from the $1 and $2 boxes as well for FCBD. The store is pretty cramped and they had 2 dozen Longboxes of comics to go through so it kinda was a disaster, but I love the idea and want to support them more now.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What I ended up getting.

4lzpJtN.jpg

The comic shop I went to even had some entertainers there doing belly dancing and sword eating. George Pérez was there signing comics, too.

[edit]

Special appearances by legendary artist and writer George Pérez, Marvel Comics artist Clay Mann, local artist Michael McElroy, belly dancing by Troupe Atiya-Razi and more Superheroes and Stormtroopers than you can shake a stick at (but no stick shaking please)! Call for appearance times.

Never heard of Clay Mann but I guess he was there, too.

The guys here went all out.

Matsukaze

Just got back from the shop. Good size crowd in there, but the sales weren't as good as last year.

Nabbed the FCBD Doctor Who, Legend of Korra, One Punch Man, and DC Superhero Girls issues.

Also picked up Punisher: Welcome Back Frank and JoJo Battle Tendency Volumes 2 and 3.

LegendX48

Got a few things:

26269097813_c372e9a174_z.jpg

I had no idea one of the artists that does stuff for How it Should Have Ended had a comic up for this... I wanna go back and get it lol

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I grabbed One Punch Man based on how often I see people loving it, particularly here on GAF. Also grabbed The Tick and Assassins Creed because I'm a stupid Ubisoft mark lol

Its cool seeing a new comic shop in Detroit downtown (Check out Vault of Midnight, Detroit-GAF.) I wanted to buy something but the store was too packed for my casual browsing. Felt kinda bad not buying something but I'm sure they'll be fine if I keep coming back to buy more stuff in the future.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
My LCS allowed 6, and I also got a print by Matthew Roberts signed by him too (artist of Manifest Destiny).

Heres my haul, the store allowed 10:

73Txu02.jpg

my comic book shop also has a free pile of comic books that are normal issues. I snagged the 2nd doctor who comic from there. Also bought a Steven Universe which is not in the pic

Kilvin

My local shop allowed 4 books per person, but an additional two if you flashed your local library card.

Unfortunately they did not order 2000AD which I was super bummed about, that was the book I was most looking forward to.

My haul:

1. Serenity (w/Hellboy & Aliens)
2. Camp Midnight #1
3. Civil War II
4. Captain America
5. Suicide Squad #1
6. DC Superhero Girls

My sons haul:

1. Boom Studios Summer Blast
2. Legend of Korra
3. Pokemon Pocket Comic
4. Captain America

Daft Punk

Banned
Ended up with:

- Death Girl Vol. 0
- Spongebob
- 100 Bullets Vol. 1,2,3
- 7 Brothers Vol. 1, 2
- Civil War II

and picked up Infinity Gauntlet and Infinity War for only $30. :D

Gazunta

Hope it's OK to post here, but I made the first issue of Rose free to download all Free Comic Book Day weekend:

http://rosecomic.com/shop/digital-comics/rose-1-digital-comic/

Rose is an all-ages, fun and friendly comic about a girl who loves food, friendship, food, family, food and food (but mostly food)

I hope you like it!

For my part I did sketches for a few hours at a local comic shop and it was fun as hell. It's really great seeing so many people in a comic shop, many of which are not regulars but want to see what the fuss is all about.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
My local shop allowed 4 books per person, but an additional two if you flashed your local library card.

I love that rule.

I got the Marvel ones, Love and Rockets, the Doctor Who combo pack and one where a guy names the badger fights Putin.

My shop had a hole in-store convention thing going on. No guests that I'd heard of, but it was still pretty cool. Ended up buying Saga Vol 5 and Fatale Deluxe Edition Vol 1.

I'm jealous of the people that got Moon Cop, that looked cool based on what I've seen.

Nudull

Banned
Ended up with:

Civil War II
Captain America
Superman/Batman #1 (BvS reprint)
DC Superhero Girls
Sonic the Hedgehog
Dark Horse - Korra/HTTYD/Plants vs. Zombies
Boom! Summer Blast 2016
Valiant FCBD 2016
Showa: A History of Japan (leftover from 2014)

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I thought I had picked up Attack on Titan until I got home and realized that I forgot to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom