• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future-Proofing Gaming: Do Pro Consoles Affect Your Preferred Game Buying Platform?

Will you buy multiplatform games on a console that can potentially offer a Pro version?

• Total voters

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Just make PS6 $999 and everyone is happy.
aaaaand it would accomplish nothing.
PCs will still be faster, games will still be unoptimized and people will still scream for PRO since day1.
Hardware is good.
Consoles have other strengths than raw power. Those seeking raw power should just get a pc and leave console gaming in peace

Last edited:

ungalo

Pro consoles are shit. A bunch of updates for games i already played will not make me buy this crap. PS4 Pro was a joke on certain games like Control and for somes games like Cyberpunk it did mitigate the problems but it wasn't at the point that playing it was actually enjoyable.

At best the sweet spot last 6 months and concern 3 games that definitely runs way better on Pro.

Sentenza

"My ecosystem" is PC and backward compatibility (or forward scalability) aren't even special features here as much as the norm. Also, a benefit that I consider a complete non- negotiable and I wouldn't tolerate to do without, since I go back to play older games all the time.

...So I'm not sure what I should answer to this type of OT, since it's clearly framed in a way that seems to consider console gaming the default.

Last edited:

Killer8

What's more interesting to me is how a PS5 Pro relates to PC gaming.

For years PS5 has been my fallback for the games with compromised PC versions. It's saved me from having to endure some truly awful times on PC, but the trade off in visuals and fidelity has been noticeable. Resident Evil 2 remake for example does not have the godawful stutter on PS5 that the PC release has, but the consequence of the PS5 version is an often lower (sub-60fps) framerate. If a Pro model could increase that with brute force, it would be the perfect place to play it.

PC does seem to be getting better lately. A lot of games got shader pre-compilation patched in, so hopefully developers have learned that lesson going forward. Armored Core 6 isn't as stuttery as Elden Ring was. Unreal Engine 5 appears to be defeating stutter with PSO caching. Nature is healing. However i'm still not fully confident in the platform's ability to deliver decent releases. Having an even better PS5 as the fallback can only be a good thing for me until the industry gets it act together on PC.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
You also hit the nail on the head why the PS4 Pro came out in the first place, for the people thinking of moving to PCs

I do want the PS5 Pro next Holiday season to launch with a game like Wolverine, give me all the power Sony can muster for that game.
They will definitely need a showcase marquee title to launch Pro with. I doubt Wolverine would be ready by then, though.

A shame - but I think Death Stranding 2 would launch with the Pro, and will be every bit of a fantastic visual showcase.

simpatico

Yeah I know I am in a very small minority that has a set of consoles hooked up to an ultrawide :(

It would make me happy, for starters anyhow :)
Anything they put in a PS5 Pro would probably have been available when PS5 was being built (or something close enough in perf). Just make one $999 console and everyone saves money and hassle vs buying 2.

hinch7

Nope. Don't care for Pro/refresh consoles. PC is my main platform for gaming so third party stuff kinda just defaults there.

For consoles I'll only really play for exclusives and the occasional game that comes with my sub. And the base model suffices for that.

Last edited:
If Sony releases a Pro I will buy day 1, if they don't I won't care because games look fantastic now. As far as some games having difficulty running on the XSX and Ps5 not all developers are created equal.

If the new unreal engine is causing current consoles to bog down then it shouldn't be used for console games. If this creates a situation when you want to develop for PC and console (which is a given) then we have reached a place where the average PC will have difficulties also.

Montauk

[if these come out]

“Why is the Xbox Series X Pro so underpowered?

Why didn’t MS get serious and release a $1000 beast? They’ve messed this up.

When is the Xbox Series X 2 coming out?”

Matt_Fox

[if these come out]

“Why is the Xbox Series X Pro so underpowered?

Why didn’t MS get serious and release a $1000 beast? They’ve messed this up.

When is the Xbox Series X 2 coming out?”

Always wanting more (both mankind's curse and the secret of our success...).

Drew1440

I find that this is the easiest way to future proof my hardware:

999659875BD663B12B43E8603CC75ADC6E345A8F
Not really, certain games have been known to break following an OS/Driver upgrade.

Schmendrick

All Xbox games are on PC and most if not all Sony games will come to PC with a delay.
PC is the proest pro console there is now.

Zuzu

Doesn’t the better backwards compatibility and performance enhancements like auto HDR, FPS boost, etc. mean you should purchase more for Xbox? While you might take a 1-2 year hit in performance, the track record on making improvements to prior gen titles is with Xbox.

Yeah, you make good points and you're right about Xbox's track record in supporting BC. Perhaps I'll just wait until the Pro is actually out and then start primarily buying multiplats for it when I get one and know what games are actually getting upgrades. I may not even buy many multiplats between now and when the Pro releases anyway.

Last edited:

draliko

Actually after having both the past gen midgen upgrade, i totally hate midgen upgrade philosophy, they're worth only if the vendor impose upgrades on the devs, otherwise they will not get used except for a couple of fp titles. I moved back to pc to end all the drama about fps or gfx, if i have to choose a middleground at least i can choose what i want to leave on the table (maybe shoadows instead of resolution to get 60fps). I would totally leave pc behind if they'll garantee that hardware iterations will come every 3 years and dev will be force to use it, otherwise i think i'm good on pc for the foreseeable future.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I 100% agree.

I do believe these consoles have a lot of untapped power. Unfortunately, devs have and will continue to release unoptimized games that run poorly. Moreover, not all studios even provide aftersales support. For example, Jedi Survivor is still a mess AFAIK.

So while I do agree that devs need to optimize games better, we live in an unfortunately reality where that is not the case.
It's a shame ;-;

I'm of the opinion the new consoles are quite powerful, much more than many people give them credit for. I expected the raised power ceiling + console optimization to carry us a long way and truly evolve gaming in visuals, physics and gameplay possibilities, no need for any dumb pro models. Devs managed to accomplish so much with a laptop CPU and a GPU less powerful than a 1050. Then this gen came around and all they did with the extra power was use it to not need to optimize. It actually makes me miss the crossgen 2020-early 2022 period where every new release was on PS4/Xbox One since the 9th gen version were guaranteed to be an actual upgrade and the game was guaranteed to be optimized.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
And what's even worse is that these bloated graphics are in most cases just amateurishly implemented because, let's be honest, at the end of the day we all know there will be a Sony study that achieves better graphics with better performance on the same "struggling" hardware.
Yep.

The mid 2010s were where graphical fidelity in video games peaked in my opinion, i come to this realization more these days. Devs knew how to properly utilize the system power and made gorgeous games such as Arkham Knight, Battlefield 1, Order 1886, Ryze Son of Rome, Star Wars Battlefront 2, RDR2, Titanfall 2, and Uncharted 4. Games like that IMO will be purely timeless in their graphical appeal.

Nowadays in order to reach any level close to those games we need to play it at 720p 30fps with FSR on a console more powerful than a 2070 and Ryzen 5 3600. 9th gen everyone.....

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Yah. Its disappointment that we now have to pay and upgrade every 2 to 3 years on console now and making things complicated. The reason I have consoles is because they do not need constant upgrading.

If I want to regularly upgrade for power I'll buy on PC, which I did.

What a bunch of bull

“We have to pay and upgrade every 2 to 3 years”

LMAO

Some of you aren’t real. Can’t be.

The games on the Pro version of the console are the same games... same executable, same discs.... so I don't really understand the poll question.

Why would buying MP games on the base console prevent you from upgrading the HW or prevent you from playing those same MP games on the upgraded hardware?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The games on the Pro version of the console are the same games... same executable, same discs.... so I don't really understand the poll question.

Why would buying MP games on the base console prevent you from upgrading the HW or prevent you from playing those same MP games on the upgraded hardware?
No, that was not the question. Let me rephrase it.

Suppose you have both an Xbox Series X and a PS5. You mostly buy multiplatform games on the Series X, and you keep the PS5 for Sony exclusives.

But now Sony will launch a PS5 Pro. And Xbox won't likely launch an Xbox Series X Pro. Will this encourage you to buy third-party games on PS5, instead of XSX, because if you upgrade to PS5 Pro, you will have the upgraded versions (pro patches) for games you purchased on PlayStation. In other words, you can play those games at a higher frame rate and/or better resolution and graphical settings on a PS5 Pro. Buf if you bought those games on Xbox, there won't be patches to unlock resolution or frame rates if Xbox does not have a Pro console.

The question was: will the above scenario encourage you to buy games on PS instead of Xbox from now on?

I hope that clarifies it.

Crayon

Uhh I find it highly unlikely that someone would have an xsx and a PS5 pro and have to think about which to buy a game on at all. Otherwise they wouldn't have bought the pro.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
My main console was the PS4. I had a One S.
I never bought the One X.
I did get the PS4 Pro.

It depends, but that's never the only reason. If both MS and Sony did one, I'll try to get both, but PlayStation will probably still be my main platform.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I had a PS4 pro. I have no idea if I would actually notice a difference between that and a base PS4. When I played at friends houses it all seemed the same to me.

It will be interesting to see what happens if these become the norm. Why even buy the base model if most things will be cross gen until the pro releases?

oji-san

Banned
Nah, for me it's simple.. buy all main PS consoles as they have the games i like, and from now on probably all Xbox as well as they have some of the best devs now.
Edit: i didn't quite read the thread as i should.. i buy most games on PS5, as Xbox have GP and games are day one on GP, but anyway that's not the thread subject but it's way easier to buy games with gift cards on PS to me, on Xbox i needed VPN for different region game.

Last edited:

nick776

Yes, for me the fact that a PS5 Pro will likely come impacts my decision. I prefer to buy games on Xbox, but knowing that Xbox may not release a Pro console (while PS5 likely will) will definitely make me buy PS5 versions of games going forward. Xbox has made baffling decisions this generation--from the abysmal Series S to not releasing a Pro console in the near future. Xbox has chased the Activision deal so much that they are seemingly ignoring other more important matters. I have always been an Xbox fan, but knowing they will not release a Pro console may just cause me to abandon the platform completely. Now that PS5 has Dolby Atmos, there is no real reason to stick to Xbox whereas before I selected Xbox for multi platform releases due primarily to Atmos integration. Xbox needs to focus on what matters most instead of chasing rabbits like they are doing with the Activision deal.

MacReady13

Definitely affects my purchasing options. I'd prefer to buy on PS5 over Series X knowing the potential upgrades to that game on PS5 pro.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
The OP was very well written 👍

Yes it's now a major consideration for where I buy multi-platform games. While I won't rule out never buying newer multi-platform games on my Series X I think I will be tending to buy them on my PS5 now and one big reason for that is so I can get possible fidelity & performance upgrades when the Pro releases.

Same postion as me, my main is Series X, but with the rumors about there not being a pro Xbox Series im considering buying multiplatform games on PS5 now as it looks like thats where the pro is going to be.

I have thought the last few days if Microsoft is bringing more powerfull console within the next couple of yrs, competeing with the PS5 pro. They wont call it the series pro or acknowledge it as a mod gen refresh, just the next console in the Series line of consoles. I have a feeling this will be the start of them releaseing consoles like the Iphones, the older models will just loose support over time as the games get to demanding.

nick776

I suspect most people who own both Series X and PS5 would want to opt for the PS5 version knowing that a Pro patch will likely come for games. It makes no sense, given how Microsoft has said "we won't be beat on power or price," but stupidity is a strange thing so there is no telling what Microsoft is thinking in not releasing a Pro console. The only logic I could see would be a scenario where Microsoft jumps the gun and releases a true "next gen" machine early in 2025 thereby leaving the Xbox Series behind entirely. My biggest concern, though, is that Microsoft has put all their eggs in one basket with the whole Activision fiasco and is thereby ignoring other highly important needs. I, personally, could not care less about "Call of Duty" and the like. I just wish Microsoft would make GOOD games for their consoles--release Gears 6, a new Banjo, bring back Halo in a meaningful way, give us Forza Horizon 6, etc.

StereoVsn

Yeah I generally buy the bigger games on PC but still will play some stuff on Xbox, PS5 and Switch. Admittedly at this juncture Xbox is mainly for BC stuff though.

So main games go to PC, exclusives to PS5 or Switch. Plus I like physical game copies and Switch and PS5 are generally better to collect for.

Not always though. For example, I really liked Pathfinder WotR and wanted a physical copy, impossible on PC. The only physical option was Xbox so ran with that. I will never play the game on the Xbox but I wanted a copy. I grabbed all the CRPGs I could on the Xbox as that felt right, lol. So Pathfinder games, PoE, Divinity, etc...

MikeM

Absolutely yes. As an enthusiast, I want the best experience possible and have the cash for it.
Even with a 7900xt PC, I still prefer console. Give me a higher HP console every three years and i’m day one for all.

If I want "upgradeable" hardware, I could just go out and buy a PC. I think this pro-whatever (seriouly?. "Pro"? Even the name smells like bullshit buzzword to grab the attention of zombie consumers. "Don't you want to be Pro too? Buy it!") only damages the long term purpose of the gaming console ecosystem as a whole. Consoles shouldn't be like PCs. And if someone doesn't likes it, consoles aren't for them.

We got decades of PC gaming being a thing and console gaming being another with no problems. You got what you paid for on the platform of choice. I would love to know where and when this push for hardware refreshes started. I doubt it started as an organic thing that came from consumers. Smells like stuff pushed down and disseminated by companies until it became a thing, until the general public believed it was something themselves were asking.

But, if we are taking this route, why not be pro-consumer and, instead of a new SKU, offer products with expansion ports and sell (cheaper than a new console SKU) upgrades that everybody can enjoy if they want?

David B

An Idiot
Well if Sony makes a Pro again I'll buy it. Just like the PS4 to PS4 Pro I bought the Pro. I have so many consoles now. But I'm planning on selling all of my Xbox stuff. Xbox original system and games and controllers. Xbox 360 system and games and controllers. Xbox Series X and games and controllers. I don't have a Xbox One however as they just never really worked for me as they never ever stayed online.

ZehDon

Gold Member
No, Pro consoles don't change my multi-platform preference.

If I care about visuals, I'll buy it on PC. That way, it'll always have the best possible presentation. If I want a couch experience, I'll buy it on whichever console I own. Last gen, I was PC and PS4. I regret buying the PS4 Pro - it wasn't enough of an upgrade, wasn't a 4k media player, sounded like a jet engine, and became Sony's primary console for marketing purposes. This generation, I'm Xbox Series X and PC. I won't be buying a Pro Series X, presuming they even make one.

TonyK

I'm buying games now on Xbox. If there is a PS5 Pro but no a Xbox Pro I think I will be so mad I will return to PC.

Edit: no, I will be honest. If there is a PS5 Pro and no a Xbox Pro, it's almost sure I will go for the PS5 Pro and sell my Series X and never return to the Xbox brand. Because if they don't release a Pro, for me, it would be like a confirmation that they don't want to compete with Sony and instead of that, they prefer to make their own path with Gamepass. I love Gamepass, but I want my fancy graphics in AAA games also.

Last edited:

nick776

I'm buying games now on Xbox. If there is a PS5 Pro but no a Xbox Pro I think I will be so mad I will return to PC.

Edit: no, I will be honest. If there is a PS5 Pro and no a Xbox Pro, it's almost sure I will go for the PS5 Pro and sell my Series X and never return to the Xbox brand. Because if they don't release a Pro, for me, it would be like a confirmation that they don't want to compete with Sony and instead of that, they prefer to make their own path with Gamepass. I love Gamepass, but I want my fancy graphics in AAA games also.
Perfect reply, my sentiment exactly.

Top Bottom