• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GamesRadar] There won't be a Google Stadia open beta before launch, so you're going to have to trust that it works

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I was willing to give Stadia a chance but they have lost me. Full price for games that aren't mine and I have to take a leap of faith to see if it works? Good luck with that

D25_34_568_1200.jpg

Blessed beard

Neo Member
disappointing, when you consider the long list of consoles that had open betas prior to launch.

that list in full:
Your console is guaranteed to work unless it's faulty in which case you can exchange it.
Stadia is not guaranteed to work to your satisfaction so a test is essential especially if there is no free trial.

Blessed beard

Neo Member
It's free, why do you need a beta? Well, I guess you'll need to buy a first game if there aren't any demos or free games available on the store? Will there be any? Thought they already beta-ed with Assassin's Creed or something, no?
The beta was limited to a small group of people.
Well it's not really free as you need to buy a full priced game to see if it works.
only stadia pro subscribers get access to a small amount of games.
Plus if you want to test it on your TV you need a Chromecast hd and a very expensive controller which supposedly gives you low latency.

Last edited:

Blessed beard

Neo Member
I thought the Assassins Creed Odyssey was the beta? I even got a free game out of it for helping them test the service.
That's great for you but not for all the people that didn't get in the beta or want to test it on something other than pc.
How was your experience?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I don't think there was ever a beta for a gaming system launch. Just roll it out already haha

Pagusas

Elden Member
That's great for you but not for all the people that didn't get in the beta or want to test it on something other than pc.
How was your experience?

isnt that normal for a beta? In terms of quality, I'm on an At&t 1gb fiber line, in Dallas, where google had one of the servers. The game was 100% playable. Input lag was about equivilant to a TV without game mode (noticable but still playable). The thing I didnt like was the soft image quality. I was playing on a 82" 4k screen my computer is hooked up to. The game was soft and compression artifacts were there in minor fashion (heavy movement, dark gradients, the normal areas where compress blocking can show). I was able to compare the game running natively at 4k on my pc to it (1080ti) and the difference between native quality and streaming was a very large jump. Overall i'd never use the service but it was cool to see and i think less critical people will enjoy it fine enough (but not when the games cost full price, thats stupid)

The only thing that interest me about the service is the though of games like Civ 6, where i can be playing on the big screen, then switch to my phone or tablet when I have to travel somewhere, all seamlessly without worrying about remote play software or anything. Thats where I think google should really be trying to advertise, the users who are always moving and want there game with them at all times, able to instantly resume it anytime, anywhere.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
isnt that normal for a beta? In terms of quality, I'm on an At&t 1gb fiber line, in Dallas, where google had one of the servers. The game was 100% playable. Input lag was about equivilant to a TV without game mode (noticable but still playable). The thing I didnt like was the soft image quality. I was playing on a 82" 4k screen my computer is hooked up to. The game was soft and compression artifacts were there in minor fashion (heavy movement, dark gradients, the normal areas where compress blocking can show). I was able to compare the game running natively at 4k on my pc to it (1080ti) and the difference between native quality and streaming was a very large jump. Overall i'd never use the service but it was cool to see and i think less critical people will enjoy it fine enough (but not when the games cost full price, thats stupid)

The only thing that interest me about the service is the though of games like Civ 6, where i can be playing on the big screen, then switch to my phone or tablet when I have to travel somewhere, all seamlessly without worrying about remote play software or anything. Thats where I think google should really be trying to advertise, the users who are always moving and want there game with them at all times, able to instantly resume it anytime, anywhere.

Patrick Duffy?

Last edited:

Blessed beard

Neo Member
PlayStation now had a beta. I know as I was in it and that is obviously the closest thing to it as there both streaming platforms.
Correct.
i tested it too.
I couldn't get into the stadia beta.
Not that I think its worth the money or for me to stop playing with my friends on consoles i own.I'm just interested to see how well it works on my setup.
I'm not planning on using it either.
I think the pricing model is ridiculous
And it doesn't offer any reason for me
to stop playing my xbox or switch.
I was just interested to see how well the streaming tech works as Ive used playstation now and onlive and found both to be very inferior to playing a game natively both in terms of image quality and lag.
Thanks for the info though.

Shmunter

Well it’s free for basic, and I’m sure game demos will be a thing. Trying it out for self shouldn’t be an issue.

dirthead

Banned
I give this about a year before Google shuts it down cause I don’t think Google yet understands just how niche a streaming only service will be.

I want you to be right, but "gamers" nowadays are so lazy and low effort I could honestly see something like this working. People just want to kill time. They don't care about quality or latency. A streaming machine that could last for a really long time would probably be appealing to a lot of casuals.

This doesn't have a chance of being worth its weight in shit for any hardcore gamer, but for casuals (the only market these bloodsuckers actually care about anymore), it could work.

I want you to be right, but "gamers" nowadays are so lazy and low effort I could honestly see something like this working. People just want to kill time. They don't care about quality or latency. A streaming machine that could last for a really long time would probably be appealing to a lot of casuals.

This doesn't have a chance of being worth its weight in shit for any hardcore gamer, but for casuals (the only market these bloodsuckers actually care about anymore), it could work.
Except it is expensive. Casual gamers do not want to pay subscription, that is why free to play is a thing. The issue is that currently the Stadia buisness model is not something you can randomly do without needing a credit card.

Blessed beard

Neo Member

I agree with you this probably doesn't have any value to hardcore gamers.
But at the same time casual gamers probably won't play on a pc,they won't be packing a controller to play on their phone,or investing in one plus a Chromecast to play on the TV.
So I'm struggling to see who this is for.
They may of course prove me wrong.

dirthead

Banned
Except it is expensive. Casual gamers do not want to pay subscription, that is why free to play is a thing. The issue is that currently the Stadia buisness model is not something you can randomly do without needing a credit card.

The original Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One gamepads are all almost identical. Imagine if something like Stadia lasted 20 years. Even if it's $500, being able to buy a console that would play current games for 20 years is definitely something for casuals to think about.

The original Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One gamepads are all almost identical. Imagine if something like Stadia lasted 20 years. Even if it's $500, being able to buy a console that would play current games for 20 years is definitely something for casuals to think about.
You are avoiding the issue of ongoing costs of both subscribing and crippling internet bandwidth. It is not cheap, and even more expensive if you pay the fee for 20 years.

Blessed beard

Neo Member
You need the stadia controller to get low latency.
It communicates directly with the server through WiFi.
Although i guess casuals might not care about that.
It definitely annoyed the hell out of me when I tried playstation now and onlive.
It was playable but felt sluggish and had lots of visual artifacts.
They could have 20 years of gaming or it could shut down a year after launch and people lose everything they bought.
One of the great unknowns.

dirthead

Banned
You are avoiding the issue of ongoing costs of both subscribing and crippling internet bandwidth. It is not cheap, and even more expensive if you pay the fee for 20 years.

You're stuck paying online fees now with ripoff consoles anyway (can't believe anyone ever fell for that--paying monthly fees to play p2p games).

LordRaptor

Your console is guaranteed to work unless it's faulty in which case you can exchange it.
Stadia is not guaranteed to work to your satisfaction so a test is essential especially if there is no free trial.

Are you just sneaking the 'to your satisfaction' qualifier into that about the stadia to make a point about how console owners will conveniently settle 'their satisfaction' at whatever compromise the console manufacture delivers to them?
If it doesn't play games I'd expect people to get a refund.
If it plays games but you've invented some arbitrary "but with x milliseconds latency or less or with never dropping below y resolution at any point is my satisfaction, no I've literally never complained about input lag or dynamic resolution scaling before, I just magically decided to draw lines in the sand this gen for this console because reasons" I don't think you were going to be reasonably satisfied in the first place

Blessed beard

Neo Member
Are you just sneaking the 'to your satisfaction' qualifier into that about the stadia to make a point about how console owners will conveniently settle 'their satisfaction' at whatever compromise the console manufacture delivers to them?
If it doesn't play games I'd expect people to get a refund.
If it plays games but you've invented some arbitrary "but with x milliseconds latency or less or with never dropping below y resolution at any point is my satisfaction, no I've literally never complained about input lag or dynamic resolution scaling before, I just magically decided to draw lines in the sand this gen for this console because reasons" I don't think you were going to be reasonably satisfied in the first place
No it's quite simple really if I can feel the lag and the picture has bitrate problems and noticeable compression artifacts it is not to my satisfaction.
That doesn't happen on my consoles so it doesn't disrupt my experience.

LordRaptor

No it's quite simple really if I can feel the lag and the picture has bitrate problems and noticeable compression artifacts it is not to my satisfaction.

Yeah.
That's my point.
You're inventing criteria you don't apply to consoles.
Because there are absolutely games on the market right now that fall to sub-HD resolutions dynamically, or that have more input lag than stadia is reported to, but you're not claiming that consoles 'don't work'.
You're just inventing reasons to not like something you were already decided you wouldn't like in the first place, so you can say "Oh, okay, maybe it does work, but not to my satisfaction"

Blessed beard

Neo Member
Also I am not telling you or anyone else what is acceptable for them I was stating why it is not appealing to me.you are ver
Yeah.
That's my point.
You're inventing criteria you don't apply to consoles.
Because there are absolutely games on the market right now that fall to sub-HD resolutions dynamically, or that have more input lag than stadia is reported to, but you're not claiming that consoles 'don't work'.
You're just inventing reasons to not like something you were already decided you wouldn't like in the first place, so you can say "Oh, okay, maybe it does work, but not to my satisfaction"
Like I said the picture does not break up on my console games,I have used playstation now and onlive and it did not feel good to play even though I had a far faster than recommended connection speed.those are legitimate reasons and I also said I interested to try it which is why a free trial would be good.
I'm not sure why you are being so confrontational I'm merely stating reasons I'm not on board which also includes the pricing model.
You are entitled to use it and enjoy it.
As for latency this report measured stadia at 166ms Vs 67ms for Microsofts xcloud at 67ms.
67ms of course being higher than native latency on an Xbox one.
The proof is in the trying.
If it works how you want it to then great.

Blessed beard

Neo Member
I see what you did there. :)
I am allowed to have reasons I'm not interested in this.
Same as I sold my PS4 because all my friends play Xbox.
I certainly dont know anyone who is getting stadia which would be another huge factor but if that offends some people then I apologize.
Enjoy games through any means that suits you.
End of.

Last edited:

LordRaptor

As for latency this report measured stadia at 166ms Vs 67ms for Microsofts xcloud at 67ms.
67ms of course being higher than native latency on an Xbox one.
The proof is in the trying.
If it works how you want it to then great.

yes, yes, shockingly windowscentral think the MS solution is going to the best, and I have no doubt dualshockers think that the sony solution is going to be the best.

But brass tacks: when Digital Foundry measured this shit, the latency of a 60fps Stadia game is the same as the latency for a 30fps Xbox One X game.
So adding your pointless "to my satisfaction" qualifier is just a means to move goalposts.
If you're happy with your Xbox latency, you would have no real reason to not be happy with identical latency on stadia, outside of placebo effect.

Blessed beard

Neo Member
yes, yes, shockingly windowscentral think the MS solution is going to the best, and I have no doubt dualshockers think that the sony solution is going to be the best.

But brass tacks: when Digital Foundry measured this shit, the latency of a 60fps Stadia game is the same as the latency for a 30fps Xbox One X game.
So adding your pointless "to my satisfaction" qualifier is just a means to move goalposts.
If you're happy with your Xbox latency, you would have no real reason to not be happy with identical latency on stadia, outside of placebo effect.
You are repeating yourself and I'm not sure why or who you are trying to convince.
I'm done with this so if you want to argue some more I suggest you visit resetera and argue with one of the 85% of people in this thread who also have no interest in stadia.

Blessed beard

Neo Member
So wait you're saying a game running at 60fps should have more latency than a game running at 30fps...ok.then
Also might want to check some facts as both Forza horizon 4 and halo 5 runs at 60fps in with dynamic resolution and Forza horizon 4 runs at 60fps.
Plus the website covering windows doesn't mean they lie and pull numbers out of their ass.
but carry on being angry by all means.

Last edited:

Hissing Sid

Patently false.

I beta tested the Stadia last night by simply flushing money down the toilet.

Didn’t feel good man.

Last edited:
Top Bottom