• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 6 Outline Was Written But May Have Been Thrown Out, Former Coalition Boss Says

Fredrik

Well…
Del living is the story we’ll get, 99.99% sure about this, it was the ending they pushed us to get with how they portayed JD. I hated it. Hated seeing the little Marcus had left living for vanish. I replayed it to get the JD living ending instead. I think Marcus has been through enough, no need to push him down further.

But I hope they let this storyline rest and go on with another story and other characters. Either that or make a prequel showing Marcus early days instead.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gears of war can’t stay out of its own way I would put gears 1 in my top ten games of all time list.
video games GIF

xrnzaaas

No one gives a fuck about the storyline past Gears 3. Del, JD, and Kait all suck.
Yep I play Gears for the story and for me 1-3 are infinitely replayable, Judgment was decent for a single playthrough, 4 and 5 are easily skippable.

The first few hours of 4 were abysmal, but 4 & 5 also failed in introducing cool new characters and therefore desparately tried to bring back some of the old ones for more than cameos.

Last edited:
Babysitting Dom was what made the fight so hard solo IMO. It was absolutely a poorly designed boss encounter.
I'm more forgiving of it because that was the way things were during the 360 gen. I remember many great AAA co-op games struggling from having poor balancing and terrible partner A.I. and Resident Evil 5 being one of the biggest AAA offenders.

For solo players like myself this was also when I was starting to question review scores, because the experiences I was having were not matching up with the praise that everyone was giving to most of these games.

Nydius

The Coalition made two serviceable games, which is more than you can say for other MS studios, but I still don't see a reason for this series to exist past 3.

Agreed. Everything about Gears feels like a relic of two generations past. Even their attempt at bolting on a more open world was lackluster.

Not only can I not bring myself to give a fuck about any of the new characters but the gameplay itself didn't keep me interested because it felt like I was just stuck doing the same thing I did for the last three games a decade-plus ago. I muddled through Gears 4 and had to force myself to finish Gears 5. Like others, I didn't really find Gears 5 enjoyable until Hivebusters.

Quality-wise, this is a big issue with Microsoft Game Studios: Two of their hallmark franchises, Halo and Gears, have been shells of their former selves since their original creators left them. While both The Coalition and 343I had gotten some of the staff behind the original games (Fergusson and Staten, respectively), that clearly wasn't enough to keep producing work of the same quality as the original trilogies. The only consistent quality out of Microsoft first party has been from Turn 10 and Playground Games.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I really think a full blown gears 1 remaster like a ff7 remake story approach would be great.

Same story but then diverges into totally new beats to relaunch the trilogy with the core cast.

The gameplay can be an extension of 5 which is sublime.

Bring back all the classic maps from gears 1.

Add in an extraction mode. Trying to survive against krill and locust in order to make it out alive while getting loot works well here.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I want 2 piping hot himbo’s in steel suits sucking each other off world first pride positive AAA game with no cis trash 👍🤣👍

Would love to see a return to the series original darker roots. Enough with Kait already as well. Time for Marcus and what’s left of the Delta squad to take center stage with some new equally impressive blood. One can hope at least.

mdkirby

Someone I know who had been there for many years, and left earlier this year said stuff was a shitshow over there (hence them leaving) and many others had or were thinking about doing likewise. So this doesn’t surprise me in the slightest 🤷‍♂️

Kill the new crew in the opening act and make it an Unforgiven, old and busted squad coming out of retirement for one last ride. It would be better than whatever vomit the current writers could come up with.

Edit: And as much as I respect CliffyB for coming up with the OG Gears, he's wrong. Marcus should never die. They should come up with some fountain of youth Hive BS to keep him alive forever.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The Coalition made two serviceable games, which is more than you can say for other MS studios, but I still don't see a reason for this series to exist past 3.
This. Gears 5 and 6 were solid if unremarkable games. Id be thrilled if MS could get that level of quality from their games.

Get rid of the new characters. Bring back the old team.

This might not a be a popular opinion, but I hate the control scheme. Give me a dedicated grenade button, swap weapons with Y, etc.

I enjoyed the characters and story of 4 and 5 much more than the original games. Maybe it's because by the time Gears 2 launched, I was beyond sick of that formula since everyone started copying it, and I didn't play the games until way later. Hell, even the Judgement narrative was better.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
It's been what, almost 4 years since Gears 5? Catastrofic lack / output of quality 1st party releases is not helping MS for years now and some occasional releases like Hi-Fi Rush and Forza are not moving the needle as well, not to mention that there's literally nothing on the horizon (except Hellblade 2) which is even remotely interesting to me. I'm not counting games we haven't even see or know what they all about even gameplay-wise - there's quite a few of them, all of them years and years away still and some of them may not even release at all as finished products and go beyond the mindfuck phase of development before full production.

I'll be surprised if we'll see anything beyond second round of CGI trailers (if anything at all) for these games in just a few days from now. I don't expect Hellblade 2 to be released this year, could not care less about another Forza Motorsport - I'm into Horizon way more anyway, but skipped 5 cuz it's not that much different that 4.

Last edited:
It's been what, almost 4 years since Gears 5? Catastrofic lack / output of quality 1st party releases is not helping MS for years now and some occasional releases like Hi-Fi Rush and Forza are not moving the needle as well, not to mention that there's literally nothing on the horizon (except Hellblade 2) which is even remotely interesting to me. I'm not counting games we haven't even see or know what they all about even gameplay-wise - there's quite a few of them, all of them years and years away still and some of them may not even release at all as finished products and go beyond the mindfuck phase of development before full production.

I'll be surprised if we'll see anything beyond second round of CGI trailers (if anything at all) for these games in just a few days from now. I don't expect Hellblade 2 to be released this year, could not care less about another Forza Motorsport - I'm into Horizon way more anyway, but skipped 5 cuz it's not that much different that 4.
Sony only has Spiderman from their first party this year and next year it would seem for PS5.

Microsoft has
AOE4,
Forza Motorsport,
Hell blade 2,
Avowed,
Star field,
Gears 6
Hi fi rush
Red fall (yes, it was mediocre)
and more.

If Activision/Blizzard deal goes through Microsoft will have a couple more exclusives coming as well.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
AOE4,
Forza Motorsport,
These might as well not even exist.
Hellblade 2
The only game I care about which was announced and will be relased in the next 1,5-2 years (I hope).
Years and years away, we don't even know what it is exactly.
Starfield
BGS can go F itself.
They must announce it in a week or so from now... but even then the game will be nothing more than a CGI trailer for a few more years. I love the fuck out of Gears 5, it's not perfect but the best Gears game in my eyes, can't wait to play 6 and I hope they won't fuck it up now that Rod is not on the team.
Hi fi rush
Great game, but it can't save the whole year.
Red fall (yes, it was mediocre)
Arkane could be dead after this.
and more.
... of nothing except CGI trailers and games not even existing beyond concept phase in the minds of devs. Sony also not better in this, so I'm not saying they aren't.

Last edited:
These might as well not even exists.

The only game I care about which was announced and will be relased in the next 1,5-2 years (I hope).

BGS can go F itself.

They must announce it in a week or so from now... but even then the game will be nothing more than a CGI trailer for a few more years. I love the fuck out of Gears 5, it's not perfect but the best Gears game in my eyes, can't wait to play 6 and I hope they won't fuck it up now that Rod is not on the team.

... of nothing except CGI trailers and games not even existing beyond concept phase in the minds of devs. Sony also not better in this, so I'm not saying they aren't.
Lol, this is just nothing but BS.

AOE4 and AOE2 DE are literally the only good RTS left since SC2 stopped being supported. They are also both popular games.

Forza isn't my type of game, but a lot of people love racing simulators.

I don't think avowed is as far off as you believe. It will be launching around 2025 more than likely.

Don't know why you hate BGS.

There is a good chance Gears 6 will be shown and released next year. Last game was in 2019 and they have been working on it ever since.

Hi fi rush, AOE4, Forza Motorsport and Star field will make this a great year for xbox.

Also, ID software next game should be coming up soon. Hopefully it will be that rumoured quake game.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Edit: And as much as I respect CliffyB for coming up with the OG Gears, he's wrong. Marcus should never die. They should come up with some fountain of youth Hive BS to keep him alive forever.
Yeah, it’s like killing Lara, as I said they should do a prequel of his early days instead. Or just leave the story as it is and go with another crew at another part of the world. Keep him around for some MGS codec talks where he’s cranky when interupting him when he’s taking care of his tomatoes. No deaths.

Kacho

These might as well not even exist.

BGS can go F itself.

Bunch of fanboying nonsense in a thread about Gears lol

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
AOE4 and AOE2 DE are literally the only good RTS left since SC2 stopped being supported. They are also both popular games.
I'm not saying these games are bad or shit, they are not systems sellers (I know that MS don't care about it), mean nothing in the grand sheme of things for Xbox as a platform and MS as a brand. It's like SEGA's COH games. RTS is not as popular as it was in the 90s/early-mid 2000s, it's a niche genre righ now.
Forza isn't my type of game, but a lot of people love racing simulators.
Good for them, means nothing for Xbox and MS in the grand sheme of things, same with Forza. Imagine if Sony released GT as their only 1st party game for the year - that's how much it helps and means for MS and Xbox as a brand.
I don't think avowed is as far off as you believe. It will be launching around 2025 more than likely.
That's 2+ years away still and it was announced 3 years ago! What are they have before then and of the same caliber (not genre-wise obviously) and except Hellblade 2? Nothing.... yet.
Don't know why you hate BGS.
Hate? More like I don't give a fuck about them and their games cuz they're ancient and lazy fucks that ruined TES and Fallout as true RPG games for me and for a lot of other people. Plus they're refusing to burn in hell their rotten, 20 year old and shit from top to bottom frankenstein engine and move the fuck on with times and tech. What this company represents now in comparison to what it was in the early 2000s is night and day difference. They are simply incapable and incompetent of making true RPG game anymore and they also don't care at all as F4 showed.
There is a good chance Gears 6 will be shown and released next year. Last game was in 2019 and they have been working on it ever since.
But as Rod said, they might've started from scratch with the script and the wholes story, which he (and we) can't know for sure at least until we'll see the first full-on trailer etc. I hope it's next year... or early 2025 at worst.
Hi fi rush, AOE4, Forza Motorsport and Star field will make this a great year for xbox.
In your eyes maybe, not in the eyes of other people.
Also, ID software next game should be coming up soon. Hopefully it will be that rumoured quake game.
It's better be Quake reboot. I think we had enough of DOOM until the next PS/Xbox.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I've enjoyed hundreds of hours of Gears, but to be honest, at this stage I'd rather have a full reboot.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I love Gears 6 to go a little more darker like Gear 4 which is my fav in the series
Opinions and all that. First half of Gears 4 felt like a different game all together with the tower defence constructs and droid enemies and the mech section was so strange. Not a fan. Second half felt like Gears.

I really liked Gears 5, the open world was too empty but the action maps were great and I liked the strategic action coming from Jack’s abilities. The under the ice section was phenomenal too in design and atmosphere, I wish they did more things like that. More enemies and areas to explore on the open area and a better ending without any choice bs and it would’ve been amazing all the way through.

Can’t wait to see what they’ll do for the next one.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I don’t know how anyone can be excited for Gears of War’s 7th campaign instalment.

Seriously.

Are we that devoid of quality?

The first 3 campaigns were good (not great) but the strength of the game (originally) was the online play and strength of gameplay.

As far as I’m concerned there should never have been a Gears 4 campaign and if Xbox wanted to beat a dead horse it should have just been live service multiplayer.

Opinions and all that. First half of Gears 4 felt like a different game all together with the tower defence constructs and droid enemies and the mech section was so strange. Not a fan. Second half felt like Gears.

I really liked Gears 5, the open world was too empty but the action maps were great and I liked the strategic action coming from Jack’s abilities. The under the ice section was phenomenal too in design and atmosphere, I wish they did more things like that. More enemies and areas to explore on the open area and a better ending without any choice bs and it would’ve been amazing all the way through.

Can’t wait to see what they’ll do for the next one.
I liked the dark spooky tone of Gears 4 and it started slow but then go more action packed latter on. I liked Gears 5, but the end sections didn't do much for me IMO

I couldn't careless about the story mind.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
After 5 and hivebusters I can't wait for 6.

Games are awesome, just need to refine that weak semi open world section stuff they threw in last minute.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I don’t know how anyone can be excited for Gears of War’s 7th campaign instalment.

Seriously.

The first 3 campaigns were good (not great) but the strength of the game (originally) was the online play and strength of gameplay.

As far as I’m concerned there should never have been a Gears 4 campaign and if Xbox wanted to beat a dead horse it should have just been live service multiplayer.

This makes me sad. I love playing the campaigns co op and horde mode, hivebusters, etc are genuinely brilliant with friends.

Banjo64

cumsessed
This makes me sad. I love playing the campaigns co op and horde mode, hivebusters, etc are genuinely brilliant with friends.
I’m sorry man, to each their own. I played through 4 though and just thought ‘who cares?’. I just wanted to get to the end for the Gears 5 MP armour you unlocked (Guilded Kait I think).

5’s online is the best it’s ever been but even that’s let down by no dedicated servers.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I’m sorry man, to each their own. I played through 4 though and just thought ‘who cares?’. I just wanted to get to the end for the Gears 5 MP armour you unlocked (Guilded Kait I think).

5’s online is the best it’s ever been but even that’s let down by no dedicated servers.

I think they get a lot of leeway from me because the co op is that well done so I can just talk shit with my mate and play.

Hivebusters was genuinely great so it gives me hope for 6.

I hope..and yeah, they need dedicated servers for sure.

ungalo

Seriously.

What made the Gears package great is the campaign, fully playable in coop + the PvE modes + the PvP. Really not more the PvP than the campaign in my opinion.

It's kind of like Halo actually. Yeah those games are hard to make nowadays but it's really their strenght to have all this.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I would trade the entire Campaign mode for 5 more Horde / Escape maps at launch honestly. Gears 5 was one of my favorite games of last gen but it wasn't because of the SP mode.

Still really looking forward to what TC can accomplish on UE5, this might be the first real in-game showcase of the engine.

Top Bottom