• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German tourist falls to his death while posing for photo atop Machu Picchu

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawnchair

Banned
lol, they really try to work selfies into this story for clicks. "This guy died while posing for a photo! Another person died while taking a selfie somewhere else! Selfies are more dangerous than sharks!"

sharks probably killed something like 90 people last year. i could see us getting there with selfies.

lawnchair

Banned
Sharks killed 6 people last year

ha maybe i was thinking about shark attacks in general..

anyway, if the total number of shark-related fatalities was only 6, i can definitely see us getting to the point where selfies gone wrong kill more people than sharks per year.

selfies = more lethal than sharks

Nocebo

This exactly. Not to mention, all these pictures, which could be great, now have your ugly mug taking up 30% of it. Older you will likely say "I wish I could see more of the Taj Mahal, but my fucking 20 year old face is right in the middle of it"
I disagree. I used to have similar thoughts, though. But really are you ever going to say "I wish I could see more of the Taj Mahal"? Maybe if it is followed up by "Oh wait I'll just use google image search to find professional and amateur shots of every famous spot on the planet and other planets. Taken from every conceivable angle." or maybe if you've had a brain aneurism and forgot that the internet exists.
I think older you will much rather see pictures of your younger self and your friends and family.

And your kids: "Look kids these are picture of when I was in Singapore, with my friends" {scenic shot of random street devoid of people}. "And this is when I was your age, at Machu Picchu" {picture of a bunch of people standing around posing} "Which one is you dad?" "Oh, I'm not on any of these pictures..." "..."

image.png

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I disagree. I used to have similar thoughts, though. But really are you ever going to say "I wish I could see more of the Taj Mahal"? Maybe if it is followed up by "Oh wait I'll just use google image search to find professional and amateur shots of every famous spot on the planet and other planets. Taken from every conceivable angle."
I think older you will much rather see pictures of your younger self and your friends and family.

And your kids: "Look kids these are picture of when I was in Singapore, with my friends" {scenic shot of random street devoid of people}. "And this is when I was your age, at Machu Picchu" {picture of a bunch of people standing around posing} "Which one is you dad?" "Oh, I'm not on any of these pictures..." "..."

Nah, pictures of family..yes.. pictures of my self? No.

My best memories are looking at the places I've seen so I can recall old memories of what took place there... group photos, or photos of playing, fishing, hiking.... all that... selfies? Nah... I see myself in the mirror everyday... could give a fuck looking at a selfie of myself 10 years ago.

Ahasverus

Foreign (western) tourists in Latin America often think regulations don't apply to them because what do some third world indians know. Sad but true.

Lorcain

You rarely saw this when cameras were just cameras and not connected to anything. It's fascinating how the ability to instantly upload and share images brought out this incredibly reckless behavior.

The last time I visited the Grand Canyon I saw way too many people climb over barriers past warning signs to hop out to overhangs to get selfies. They would literally leap across gaps of nothingness (like in a Road Runner cartoon) to get out to a precipice or overhang. I have a sometimes manageable fear of heights, and I had to keep walking and not watch those people. It was too much.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Earlier this year, a Washington state man accidentally killed himself while taking a selfie with his gun.

How....

Edit: Okay nm, he was taking the selfie with a phone with the gun in the picture. Thought he tried to take the picture with the actual gun.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Something like that happened to a teacher of mine way back in 1994.

His wife was taking a photo of him with him standing in front of a cliff in the Alps. Apparently, he stepped back too far and fell off the cliff while his wife was looking at him through the camera's viewfinder.

Horrible scenario.

s_mirage

Foreign (western) tourists in Latin America often think regulations don't apply to them because what do some third world indians know. Sad but true.

It's not just that: a lot of tourists have a nasty habit of thinking they're immune from danger when they're on holiday, wherever they are. Even people holidaying in their own country seem to forget basic safety rules that they would never break at home.

His wife was taking a photo of him with him standing in front of a cliff in the Alps. Apparently, he stepped back too far and fell off the cliff while his wife was looking at him through the camera's viewfinder.

Horrible scenario.

Impossible. These things only happen to selfies.

This exactly. Not to mention, all these pictures, which could be great, now have your ugly mug taking up 30% of it. Older you will likely say "I wish I could see more of the Taj Mahal, but my fucking 20 year old face is right in the middle of it"

I always make people get in the picture. Why do I want just a picture of the Taj Mahal? I can see that anywhere! I try to frame the picture in interesting ways, but a picture of "random tourist destination" is boring. "This is me at the Taj Mahal when I was 20" is far more memorable.

Lorcain

Impossible. These things only happen to selfies.
I get your sarcasm, and I only have my own anecdotal experiences to compare, but my trips to the Grand Canyon before smart phones and after smart phones are very different. Yes, there were some people that would hop out to dangerous places with regular cameras, but it's nothing like it is today. There were a few places where people would climb out to get those shots, but now it's like people have lost their minds and just climb out anywhere.

Palmer_v1

Horrible scenario.

She got away with murder.

They spend so much time 'capturing the moment' that they never experience the moment.

This is btw true for non-selfie pics as well.
UNLESS you zoom in. I'm not kidding, it makes you remember the moment even more than not taking any pic at all.
Reason being our brain focusing in on a detail and that makes it probably map the space better etc.

I very, very rarely take selfies. However - unless you took an awesome shot or photographed something reeeeaally interesting, you will bore the people you show your vacation pics if you or your loved ones are not in them.
I just have my girl do poses. Sometimes just for scale haha but friends will still want to see those pics the most.

I get your sarcasm, and I only have my own anecdotal experiences to compare, but my trips to the Grand Canyon before smart phones and after smart phones are very different. Yes, there were some people that would hop out to dangerous places with regular cameras, but it's nothing like it is today. There were a few places where people would climb out to get those shots, but now it's like people have lost their minds and just climb out anywhere.

That's entirely due to the convenience of now having photo taking devices attached to our communication devices and nothing to really do with selfies. I've never taken a selfie in my life, and I absolutely hate having my photo taking, but some people acting like this is some new phenomena of vanity are still being too ridiculous for even me.

Ultryx

Peruvian officials said the tourist bypassed a security cordon and ventured into an off-limits area before tumbling to his death, El Comercio reported.

Are you fucking kidding me? Could have been prevented.

He was posing for a mid-leap photo when he fell off Machu Picchu mountain

“He asked a man who was there to take a photo of him,” Guillermo Mestas, a Peruvian tourist, told television station Canal N. “The man came over to take the photo and in the moment he was handing him the camera, he lost his balance and fell.”

well, at least the guy was NOT taking a selfie, but just asking someone else to take a normal picture of him at Machu Picchu, which is completely understandable. I only want to know if it's actually one of those "mid-leap" picture like the part I quote mentions. because if you're taking a picture at Machu Picchu and you went around jumping up and down on the tip of the mountain trying to get a photo of you in mid air, then you're sorta asking for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom