• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell has Changed the Name of its Main Character

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sami+

Regardless of how the trailer looks (still seems very whatever to me honestly) I'd feel like a giant hypocrite if I would complain about white-washing only to immediately give them my money. Skipping this. The entire project is kind of gross imo.

Cappa

Banned
This probably sucks for ghost in the shell anime fans but the movie still looks really good especially for those of us who never followed the anime.

Shandy

[citation needed]

Re: The name, it's actually noted at the end of the first chapter of the manga that it is most certainly not the name she was born with.

The following day, the woman (a female model cyborg) was seated in the office of the Minister of Internal Affairs... with an assassination order issued by the former prime minister.

The only thing certain was that there had been a need to resolve a crisis and that the woman (or women) known as Major Motoko Kusanagi (obviously an alias) was extremely talented.

Whompa02

This probably sucks for ghost in the shell anime fans but the movie still looks really good especially for those of us who never followed the anime.

Honestly as a huge fan of GITS I am pretty optimistic and I want to give this movie a chance.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Can't remember right now, and maybe it has been debunked by now but here it goes:

Major is dead (apparently) and ScarJo is sort of a copy of the Major. Another actress will play the actual Major. The name "Mira", comes from Mirror, which would explain about ScarJo "being the Major".

I hope above is actually real though... would be a nice twist.
... that is the dumbest plot twist I ever heard. Thanks for saving me the $10.
FAKE EDIT: My worry is that GITS bombs so hard that Fox pulls the plug on Battle Angel Alits before it hits production. Am I alone in this?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm Peruvian. Are they also appropriating my quinoa? :O Do I have grounds for meaningless outrage here?

Yes the white man appropriated your grain crop a long time ago!

Zoe

Can't remember right now, and maybe it has been debunked by now but here it goes:

Major is dead (apparently) and ScarJo is sort of a copy of the Major. Another actress will play the actual Major. The name "Mira", comes from Mirror, which would explain about ScarJo "being the Major".

Pfft, :lol @ the last part. That's just twisting the knife.

... that is the dumbest plot twist I ever heard. Thanks for saving me the $10.
FAKE EDIT: My worry is that GITS bombs so hard that Fox pulls the plug on Battle Angel Alits before it hits production. Am I alone in this?

Alita has already finished filming.

XAL

If
Rinko Kikuchi turns out to be the real major
I will lose my shit.

But who am I kidding, they just converted it from whitewashing to straight up erasure.

MarkusRJR

This movie is giving me "The Last Airbender" vibes. Hopefully it turns out better that that trash heap, but we'll see...

Skinpop

Sorry I meant the up coming movie.

still not sure what you mean, but I prefer a full reinterpretation making the material into something new than this frankenstein mess of GitS. If you imagine Chronicle was an adaption akira, well then that's kind of the ideal scenario imo. so from what little I know of USA Death Note it looks much more interesting to me than this.

With these kind of changes, not sure why they insist on calling it 'Ghost in the Shell'. Why couldn't it've been a 'Do Android Dream of Electric Sheep?' to 'Blade Runner' situation instead?

Because the name "Ghost in the Shell" has more cultural cache and brand recognition than whatever other name they could come up with. Is that really a question that needs asking?

The funny thing is that lots of real GITS fans wouldn't have a problem changing the faces, races, locations, names, etc of the series, if the core essence would be maintained in exchange: realistic and detailed police/spy thriller which doesn't dumb down things for the audience, atmospheric cyber punk setting, psychological scifi undertones about AI and new technologies, likeable characters with good banter and chemistry.

But that doesn't seem to be the case with this film.

Kinda feels like they lose either way and are trying to take the safer route. They already got shit for Scarlett for playing what many assumed was an obviously Japanese character, even though "she's technically not any race she's a robot" blah blah blah

So after that shitstorm they either, in advanced or in reaction to said shitstorm, decided to change her name to something less Japanese sounding so that they didn't get even MORE shit after the release from morning news shows and crap like that overreacting to Scarlett Johanssen playing a character with a Japanese name.

So by calling her Mira the only people they piss off are the small majority of people they needed to sell this movie to their friends, because the mainstream doesn't know shit about these details let alone anything about the movie other than Black Widow is in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom