• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostrunner 2 | Review Thread

What's the average score Ghostrunner 2 will get on Metacritic?

• 96 - 100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 90 - 95

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 85 - 89

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • 80 - 84

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • 75 - 79

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • 70 - 74

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 65 - 69

• <65

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
VpLnJ4oT.jpg

Game Information

Game Title: Ghostrunner 2

Platforms:
  • PlayStation 5 (Oct 26, 2023)
  • PC (Oct 26, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Oct 26, 2023)
Trailer:
Developer: One More Level

Publisher: 505 Games

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 79 Average - 79% recommended
Metacritic - 80 Average Based on 32 Critic Reviews

image.png

Critic Reviews

33bits - Fernando Sánchez - Spanish - 92 / 100
Ghostrunner 2 can be called a frenetic first-person action platformer like its first installment, which takes the best of it and enhances it with new playable possibilities and some very interesting new features such as the inclusion of the motorcycle. It is possible that the playable core is continuous with respect to the previous game, but it is not a negative thing when the first game was already outstanding. If you liked Ghostrunner, this sequel is a must, and if you haven't played the first one, you no longer have an excuse to pick up both.

Attack of the Fanboy - Christian Bognar - 3.5 / 5
The best additions are the new forms of traversal, creating the most exciting missions of both the original and sequel combined. However, the time you spend with these is short-lived. Also, I can't help but feel the bosses were a missed opportunity, where only one stands out and makes a name for itself. Nevertheless, more of a good thing is always nice, and if you found yourself a fan of the first, you'll enjoy Ghostrunner 2, especially for the low 40-dollar price tag.

But Why Tho? - Mick Abrahamson - 8.5 / 10
In many ways, Ghostrunner 2 is a massive step up from its predecessor. Bigger setpieces, new locations, and the introduction of the motorbike led to the creation of an even more epic experience. But the high highs, like the epic bosses, are brought down by odd pacing issues…

CGMagazine - Jordan Biordi - 9 / 10
Ghostrunner II is an incredibly challenging and incredibly fun game that will test your every Ninja reflex and keep you coming back for more.

Cerealkillerz - Nick Erlenhof - German - 8.4 / 10
Ghostrunner 2 offers the same frustrating puzzle battles and parkour sections as its predecessor, but ups the ante here with better blocking, new abilities, an outdoor world, and the motorcycle paired with a good amount of polish. The frequent gameplay flow and upbeat techno music are only held back by a negligible story and a somewhat decelerating midsection.

Checkpoint Gaming - Omi Koulas - 7.5 / 10
Ghostrunner II slices through a neon-soaked cyberpunk world, offering blistering parkour and ninja combat. It may stumble mid-combo with changes to gameplay causing disruption to movement flow, as well as performance issues and ambitious yet awkward motorbike sequences. Yet, it remains a fun, if imperfect, action-packed journey, great for speedrunning.

Cultured Vultures - Ashley Bates - 8.5 / 10
A sophomore cyberpunk slasher, Ghostrunner 2 successfully builds on the foundation of the original game with new abilities and gimmicks.

Digital Trends - Tomas Franzese - 3 / 5
Although I enjoy the world of Ghostrunner and I’m thrilled to see it evolve, Ghostrunner 2 does encounter a sophomore slump. It makes the classic sequel mistake of getting too grand in scope for its own good and adding features that draw attention away from what made its predecessor special. Roguerunner.exe does strip the game back to its basics for a purer action experience, so if the series does continue, I hope that offers a road map for where the cyberpunk series can go next.

Everyeye.it - Riccardo Cantù - Italian - 8.5 / 10
Quote not yet available

Fun Factor - Diogo Arez - Portuguese - 8.5 / 10
Ghostrunner II is a frenetic and tremendously enjoyable FPS that builds upon everything that made its predecessor great and introduces some amazing mechanics that keep it all satisfying, and above all fun, although the motorcycle sections and some minor bugs dragged the experience a little bit it's still an easy recommendation for fans of the genre.

GameGrin - Artura Dawn - 10 / 10
Ghostrunner 2 is an exemplary sequel, improving upon the original in every way. With better Energy systems, delightful and responsive bike levels, fantastic bosses, and the same quick-paced gameplay from the original, it's a no-brainer for anyone who remotely enjoyed the first.

Gameblog - French - 9 / 10
Quote not yet available

Gamefa - Mostafa Zahedi - Persian - 8 / 10
Ghostrunner 2 is everything we expected it to be. Chaotic, fast and challenging. creativity plays a key role in Combat and how you approach different situations. from seamless and smooth parkour to amazing variety of tools and abilities, Ghostrunner 2 delivers an amazing journey from start to finish.

Gameffine - Jay Krishnan - 80 / 100
Ghostrunner 2 is a solid entry that builds on the foundation of the first game. Almost everything has been tweaked or expanded to provide a lengthier, more varied campaign that retains the precise platforming and fluid one-hit combat. While the PC performance is not optimal and some of the new additions disrupt the pace of the game, Ghostrunner 2 does enough to please fans of the first game and then some more.

Gamer Guides - Christian Wait - 8 / 10
Ghostrunner II masterfully carries forward its signature acrobatic combat, embedding it seamlessly into a dystopian backdrop. Despite some new gameplay aspects needing a touch-up, its foundational experience is distinctively gratifying.

GamingBolt - Ravi Sinha - 8 / 10
Ghostrunner 2 sticks to the fast-paced formula of "Live, die, repeat" while adding new mechanics, excellent levels and additions like the motorcycle. Some areas could use more polish, but as a whole, it's a futuristic rollercoaster from start to finish.

God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - 9 / 10
You'll suffer hundreds of deaths in Ghostrunner 2, but every single one is worth it to move you forward step-by-bloody-step.

IGN - 9 / 10
Ghostrunner 2 is a sequel that builds upon everything that made the first game great, leading to 10-12 hours of absolutely action packed, high speed, cyberninja excellence, along with a great, replayable, roguelike mode as well.

IGN Italy - Damaso Scibetta - Italian - 7.8 / 10
Ghostrunner 2 is exactly what you'd expect. It amplifies the strengths of its predecessor with a more intricate ability system and manages a better variety of situations, yet it retains virtually all the flaws in Ghostrunner's flow. Nevertheless, it creates an always entertaining and challenging gameplay experience that you'll appreciate if you're already a fan of the original. It's not for everyone, and it will make you curse a lot as the death counter keeps rising, but its punishing nature is part of the price.

IGN Spain - Mario Seijas - Spanish - 7 / 10
Ghostrunner 2 follows the essence of the first game, but doesn't fly any higher. Very fast combat and frenetic parkour, but half-baked ideas. Even with its flaws, its trial-and-error philosophy offers a stimulating and fun challenge.

Infinite Start - Mark Fajardo - 7.5 / 10
I'd describe Ghostrunner 2 as a safe sequel. Those who love the original will almost certainly feel the same about this, just like those who hate it will probably find their opinion unchanged. If nothing else, it's a fun adventure that has a fair amount of replay value, even if some of that is simply figuring out the best way to cut down those who stand against you.

Kakuchopurei - Jonathan Leo - 70 / 100
Ghostrunner 2 is tough, and aggravatingly so by design. But it's never unfair. [...] Even with some of its unnecessary extras, it doesn't pollute the entire experience and still excels at what it delivers: parkour ninja action in the first-person degree.

LevelUp - Ulises Contreras - Spanish - 8 / 10
Even though Ghostrunner 2 only expands and improves the ideas of the original game, its parkour and combat systems remain highly enjoyable. It's a very fun and challenging experience that will excite fans of challenging games and adrenaline, even though it's not perfect.

MondoXbox - Italian - 8.3 / 10
Ghostrunner 2 takes a big step forward compared to the first game, in all respects: quality, variety, longevity, and game design. A title that is finally mature and capable of entertaining from start to finish, with tough but well-balanced challenges in which the player feels closer to success with each new attempt. Too bad for a somewhat foggy story and some inaccuracies in the controls, but if you want a challenging game that tests your reflexes, it definitely deserves your attention.

Multiplayer First - Dean James - 9 / 10
Ghostrunner 2 takes what was already a great game and takes things to the next level in the even more ambitious follow-up. The gameplay itself is largely the same as before, but now you have even more abilities like the shuriken that make the adrenaline-pumping combat even more satisfying upon surviving each battle. Traveling outside of Dharma Tower with the motorcycle was a refreshing change of pace that we really hope to see expanded upon even further in a hopeful sequel (or as part of its post-launch plans). Ghostrunner 2 is not only a fantastic follow-up to the original, but one that could easily be enjoyed by those who have never played the first one as well.

PC Gamer - Luke Kemp - 65 / 100
Ghostrunner deserved a sequel; specifically, a sequel better than this one.

PCGamesN - Lauren Bergin - 9 / 10
Ghostrunner 2 improves upon everything that made its predecessor great. Framed by a stunning, neon-bathed city with a soundtrack that's to die for, One More Level's latest is a high-octane parkour adventure that you really don't want to miss.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 80 / 100
Quote not yet available

Play Watch Read - Jorian Non - Dutch - 8 / 10
'Ghostrunner II' is a smooth action game with a lot of challenge. Freerunning and slashing with your sword come together again in this second part. The game may have some new additions, but this does not make it any easier. A challenge with dying many times awaits you.

PlayStation Universe - David Carcasole - 6 / 10
Ghostrunner 2 fails at being what it should be, a proper sequel. Instead, it ends up feeling much more like a 1.5, or a big DLC expansion, because of how little is changed or evolved from the first game. Where it does try to expand, it more often than not fails on the execution, and while the core combat is still just as insanely fun as it was the first time around, Ghostrunner 2's failings get in the way of that core experience so much that it drags down your whole experience.

Press Start - Brodie Gibbons - 6.5 / 10
Ghostrunner II, for half of a game, manages to recapture the lightning in a bottle that made the first a high-octane thrill ride. The other half is a dull, albeit thematically rich, journey to an outside world that is, in theory, worthy of the runtime but fails in practice for the kind of game Ghostrunner is.

Prima Games - Shawn Robinson - 8 / 10
Ghostrunner 2 does plenty to improve upon a great core gameplay loop, even if its execution isn't always as sharp.

Push Square - Jaimie Ditchfield - 6 / 10
Ghostrunner 2 has some fun moments, though it can often be difficult to see past a lot of the performance issues and inconsistent level design. When the game's at its best, slicing through a horde of enemies and jumping around like a ninja, it can be an exhilarating experience. However, it might be worth waiting for a patch to address a lot of the core issues present at launch.

Rectify Gaming - Will "Fncwill" - 9.5 / 10
Ghostrunner 2 surpasses its predecessor in nearly every aspect. It retains the heart-pounding, skill-based combat that made the first game a standout, while expanding the world, offering new gameplay elements, and enriching the narrative. Ghostrunner 2 cements its place as a must-play title in the hardcore first-person slasher genre, and its improvements make it a game you’ll want to return to time and time again.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Ed Thorn - Unscored
If you're entirely composed of fast twitch muscle fibers and boundless patience, you'll love this first-person cyberpunk slasher. You probably won't otherwise.

Shacknews - Sam Chandler - 8 / 10
Quote not yet available

Slant Magazine - Justin Clark - 4 / 5
At its most mundane, Jack’s travels let players float through beautifully rendered sci-fi hellscapes with steps light enough to walk on water. And at its most astonishing and electric, this is a game of balletic death-dealing that may demand perfection but rewards persistence like very few other games in recent memory.

Spaziogames - Italian - 7.6 / 10
Ghostrunner 2 reintroduces the same formula as its predecessor, enhancing it with more open maps and new abilities for Jack, adding a touch of depth to the gameplay. While it lacks significant innovations, the gameplay formula still manages to work and entertain. However, its nature of extreme trial and error makes it a title not suited for everyone, as it can frustrate a good portion of players.

TheGamer - George Foster - 4 / 5
Despite its uninteresting story and occasional jankiness, Ghostrunner 2 still manages to be a great successor by understanding why the first game was such a success, sharpening nearly every mechanic, and building upon them with the addition of the bike and wingsuit. It might not be the most innovative sequel in the world, but considering how great the original Ghostrunner already was, that’s no bad thing.

VG247 - Connor Makar - 4 / 5
For those who gain pleasure (guilty or otherwise) from an unashamed love of katanas and cybernetic augmentation, Ghostrunner 2 is pouring the gravy you love straight down your throat.

VideoGamer - Tom Bardwell - 9 / 10
Ghostrunner 2 is bottled mechanical magic, a blisteringly-paced celebration of movement where death is a rite of passage.

WayTooManyGames - Kyle Nicol - 8.5 / 10
Ghostrunner 2 is an utterly exhilarating and constantly exciting experience. It is bigger and more ambitious than its predecessor, but that doesn’t mean it is always better than it. It has a few issues here and there, not to mention the fact that some of its additions and overall changes to the formula won’t exactly click with everyone. With that being said, it is still an excellent game.

We Got This Covered - David James - 4 / 5
The first few levels will feel overly familiar to those who played the original, but once the game grants you access to its cool-as-hell Akira-style cybercycle it hits the nitrous and bursts into hi-octane life. A razor-sharp and finely honed sequel.

WellPlayed - Kieran Stockton - 9 / 10
Ghostrunner 2 is ninja leaps and bounds ahead of its predecessor, and though the challenge can be daunting, the expanded toolset at your disposal makes it more than surmountable, with every innumerable death an invitation to better emulate the cool cyborg ninja you truly are.

WhatIfGaming - Ali Hashmi - 9 / 10
Ghostrunner 2 is a must-play action game that expertly blends fast-paced action with smooth parkour gameplay. Its stunning art direction, memorable antagonists, and engaging upgrade system add up to an experience that meaningfully builds on the original. The undercooked semi-open world sections and stuttering issues on PC get in the way of perfection, but this is a worthy sequel that never loses steam throughout its thoroughly entertaining campaign.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Holy shit, how many good games releasing this year lol.

WIll hopefully get time to try this out. Ive never played the original though :/

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I never finished Ghostrunner. I was on a mission that was giving me issues and I got to the very end and some bug caused me to have to start the mission over. Quit the game and never went back. Enjoyed my time with it somewhat, some things I didn't like. Hopefully this one corrected those things.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I really love the aesthetic of these games, I just wish I was more into them with their 'one hit kill' nature.

john2gr

For those wondering, the PC version has shader compilation stutters. One More Level will release a day-1 patch that will add support for Ray Tracing, so I really hope this update will also fix these shader compilation stutters.

• Empathy
Reactions: RNG

winjer

Gold Member
BTW, Intel is offering this game, with these CPUs.

Intel® Core™ i5-14600K
Intel® Core™ i5-14600KF
Intel® Core™ i7-14700K
Intel® Core™ i7-14700KF
Intel® Core™ i9-14900K
Intel® Core™ i9-14900KF

And it supports DLSS3, FSR2 and XeSS.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Lots of performance issues and stutters so they havent fixed shit even tho everyone told them about the issues in the demo. Kay, cheap sales third party site it is.

Reactions: GHG

Salz01

So far so good. Playing on PS5. Made it past the third level. It seems more forgiving than the first one. Graphics are pretty good. It could be a tad bit sharper though. Playing on quality and it’s pretty smooth. The hub part, the framerate tanks. The animation on the characters in the hub, are goofy as hell. Thankfully that’s just a small part.

Top Bottom