• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb isn’t going back to the couch…ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
It amazes me with how many people hey have (and used to have) and having more time to work while at home (no commuting) that they have so little content. Barely any game streaming and only have a few quick looks. Hell, Nextlander has more content than GB has (oh and that intro song is terrible....who thought that was a good idea?)

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I think jess is great when she is talking about stuff she cares about, and she is a great streamer. I think that for something like gb, you need to have a wide interest in multiple types of games, and you need to be knowledgable about the industry. I give her props for doing her best, i know how tough it can be to enter a new job. Of course its not the same as when ryan was there, and ive accepted it never will be. I think that with some tweaking, jess can be a really great addition. She just needs to avoid going off on tangents if its something she is not super knowledgable about.

I’ll give her credit for actually playing games and having a real interest in it, but she is constantly talking over people and interrupting them. It’s obnoxious.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I don't know what it needs, but it needs an injection of something.

Fat needs trimming. Bakalar and Jason are almost worthless as video game podcasters. Bakalar often finds ways to use words to say absolutely nothing and Jason is clearly not fit for the mic/screen. The show was actually pretty good when O'Dwyer was on and they couldn't keep him for long for whatever reason. It's just the Jeff Gerstmann show which honestly is the only reason I'm still listening anyway.

I’ll give her credit for actually playing games and having a real interest in it, but she is constantly talking over people and interrupting them. It’s obnoxious.

This also needs fixing, it's insufferable. That and just blindly parroting lament for things like NFTs - which are lamentable - but jokes about how shit NFTs are got really old really fast.

Fat needs trimming. Bakalar and Jason are almost worthless as video game podcasters. Bakalar often finds ways to use words to say absolutely nothing and Jason is clearly not fit for the mic/screen. The show was actually pretty good when O'Dwyer was on and they couldn't keep him for long for whatever reason. It's just the Jeff Gerstmann show which honestly is the only reason I'm still listening anyway.

This also needs fixing, it's insufferable. That and just blindly parroting lament for things like NFTs - which are lamentable - but jokes about how shit NFTs are got really old really fast.
I like Bakalar, but you're right, he doesn't often have much to offer beyond standard takes.

I think Danny was only part time as he had some down time with Noclip projects and having a kid. Would be good to have him back more regularly though.

What I'd give for Giant Bomb to bring back something as fun and innovative as The Big Live Live Show: Live! Or the E3 After Dark interviews... Such great formats and so good to see so many industry players take part.

Truly was a different time back then and I do think part of the spirit of the site died with Ryan.

I do hope they recant on not going back to the office, mailbags and videos of that ilk were always so much fun.

Current Giant Bomb really does feel as though it is on life support, I don't know what it needs, but it needs an injection of something.
E3 After Dark / Giant Bomb at Nite, whatever they called it was actually what got me interested in GB way back when. Granted, you need not only E3, but attendees to make something like that happen, but things of this nature are the spark the GB is currently missing. I don't necessarily have any advice on content that would make me want to subscribe, but I do listen to the Bombcast and Voicemail Dump Truck weekly, I still groan every time Jess speaks and Jan starts something with "yo dawg, real talk..", but in the end I still enjoy them. Nextlander took some time to get their footing, but I've grown to enjoy them as well. 8-4 Play (unrelated, but I'm still a fan) is what I really look forward to every other week, tho.

E3 After Dark / Giant Bomb at Nite, whatever they called it was actually what got me interested in GB way back when. Granted, you need not only E3, but attendees to make something like that happen, but things of this nature are the spark the GB is currently missing. I don't necessarily have any advice on content that would make me want to subscribe, but I do listen to the Bombcast and Voicemail Dump Truck weekly, I still groan every time Jess speaks and Jan starts something with "yo dawg, real talk..", but in the end I still enjoy them. Nextlander took some time to get their footing, but I've grown to enjoy them as well. 8-4 Play (unrelated, but I'm still a fan) is what I really look forward to every other week, tho.
I still thank Patrick Klepek for getting 8-4 put on Giant Bomb. What a masterstroke.

Amory

Still better now than when Abby was there.
Abby was better than anything GB has left, including present day Jeff

Her soapbox moments could be annoying, granted, but she genuinely contributed to GB East (which was always putting out way better content than West) both in her own segments and especially as part of the larger group. I really don't get why people disliked her so much.

drganon

Her soapbox moments could be annoying, granted, but she genuinely contributed to GB East (which was always putting out way better content than West) both in her own segments and especially as part of the larger group. I really don't get why people disliked her so much.
She wasn't my favorite, but other than goty 2017 she was more or less okay. Ben on the other hand caused me to stop listening to the west coast side of the site. Dude was terrible articulating himself and was equally bad at interrupting conversations with unfunny jokes.

She wasn't my favorite, but other than goty 2017 she was more or less okay. Ben on the other hand caused me to stop listening to the west coast side of the site. Dude was terrible articulating himself and was equally bad at interrupting conversations with unfunny jokes.

Yep, it was that GOTY discussion that really soured me on her, which sucks because I enjoyed most of her contributions otherwise. Speaking of GB East, I have to say, I always enjoyed Bakalar, but without Vinny to bounce off of, he's kind of a shell of his former personality. Their interactions felt so genuine. Now, I can tell he's trying to be fun, but it feels pretty forced to the point that I kinda feel like he doesn't actually get along with the West Coast crew all that much.

Abby is awful and boring.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

Because her video game knowledge consisted of games post 2010 and consisted of mainly Dream Daddy, Nancy Drew and Sims games. Not quite the GB audience. Heck, she was so annoying that she got Dream Daddy on the GB GOTY list one year. Really?

chris121580

I was never able to get on board with Abby. She whined a lot and I felt like she was shitty to Dan a majority of the time. I will give her credit through that the Sims content was gold even though she got annoying during that as well. So far I'm enjoying Jess...she knows games and tends to be entertaining most of the time.

DeviantBoi

Their GOTY 2021 thing is on twitch now. I’m trying my hardest to enjoy it but it’s impossible. They’re all too scared of Jeff Gerstmann to actually go with a game they enjoy which he doesn’t.

Turned it off after 15 mins. I used to watch every second of their GOTY shows way back in the day.
The last time I heard a GB podcast was several years ago, also a GOTY show.

That was the same impression that I got. People would go around and express an opinion about a game. Then Jeff would say something negative about the game. And then everyone proceeded to agree with him.

Wasn’t listening much to it before that either. Didn’t care for one of the new guys (the one who hadn’t tried many types of foods). And there was an episode where Jeff was away and they had a whole segment about a scat-related story. And then they doubled down the following week by talking about it again.

Gave up the podcast right there.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

wtf.
She single handedly killed the whole website.
Introduced wokeness to the website and removed all edge from the jokes.

Otre

Banned
The bombcast was my go to happy place for so many years. Its so shit now. Just listening to Jess either ranting about a game thats bad cause its AAA or that she feels bad for Tunic to not award her with the ending in a silver platter. Jeff B obviously playing shit forcefully because its his job. Theres no passion apart from little instances of Jeff G and Jan, which are the only two people worth listening to. Also, I guess Jason is there, sicker each day, representing the decay of Giant bomb throught the years in flesh form.

I liked Ben and Abby. Smartest thing they did was leave. Not even Nextlander does it for me. Fuck.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
wtf.
She single handedly killed the whole website.
Introduced wokeness to the website and removed all edge from the jokes.

We really gonna pretend Austin and Patrick weren't just as bad?

What specifically did Abby "introduce" that "killed the whole website"? GB has been slowly dying for a decade, Abby didn't accelerate that as annoying as she was at times.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
We really gonna pretend Austin and Patrick weren't just as bad?

What specifically did Abby "introduce" that "killed the whole website"? GB has been slowly dying for a decade, Abby didn't accelerate that as annoying as she was at times.
Not sure about Austin but Patric 100% was not that bad.

Otre

Banned
Patrick was not bad in the Giantbomb days. Different and opinionated. I would roll my eyes sometimes, but he was a good lad. Once he got to Waypoint, thats when he became full on social warrior with some good, intelligent takes and others (like that yakuza phone sex game webm where he covers his eyes) that was just laughable. Austin was cool. Both brought politics to the centerfold into giantbomb. Still, Brad and Ryan always brought something like that over, even if it was a sentence or two.

He did but not like this.
And he was actually good with the news and fun with rogue like and horror stuff.
And most importantly - he had the best chemistry with Ryan.

And Abby was just scary. You could see vinny tip toeing around her not to say a bad phrase

Dunno why you have Abby as a demon in your head but the "tip toeing" or change that was felt from the beastcast does not come from fear, it comes from an adult married Italian boomer father that is conscious that there is a woman in the room. Just the type of manners of a man that said "From the fine makers of Cunt" applies to himself cause hes the boss and knows he can take things too far sometimes. Vinny grew up and got more boring. Im not a fan of Abby, do not dislike her either. She just had zoomer takes and casual likes. Youre right that the chemistry was not there. Beastcast golden era was Vinny, Dan, Alex, Austin with a little Backalar not complaining about going out of his comfort zone.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

You must be related to her. She was terrible and GB hasn't been the same from before she was there. Like another poster mentioned, she killed GB. For some reason Jeff never put her in her place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom