• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going to Hong Kong for 2 months, what to see/do?

Tams

Alright, so I‘ve been here a few days and so far it has been nice. Been checking out Victoria Bay and Lamar Island and also been up to Lions Rock. Decent view, wheater is amazing. Last time I was here it was foggy as shit. Food and restaurant scene is amazing. Feels like one could eat somewhere else for 2-3 years straight every day.

Only thing that kinda bothers me (aside from the mask of course) is how hard it is to come by with English. Kinda remember this being easier. So many great restaurants but the meals are in Chinese only and the staff doesn’t speak English. :( Also, people in general are not as friendly as I expected - except for my the people in my company of course, those are dope.

So my first impressions are a bit mixed. 2 more months to go. Certainly want to visit Tian Tan Buddha, Ocean Park and Disney Land and score at least on Chinese Lady here. They‘re all so good looking. Almost no fat people. Coming from Europe the difference is mindblowing. I‘ve probably seen one or two fat girls here so far. Damn… People in Europe and the US should stop eating so much trash.
Lots of people have left (disproportionately the well-educated and more 'Western' like) and the mainlanders have immigrated in quite a bit.

Hong Kong is a sad shell of its former self.

Porcile

I'm fairly sure that the older HK'rs will know some English. They choose not to use it to fuck with you. Kind of like the French do. But generally from my experience if you are at least trying to speak the local language people will be more helpful and even switch to English.

Hong Kong and Canton are historically trader and merchant hubs, so I think culturally if there is business to be had and money to made then they won't turn you away. I had absolutely no problems getting what I wanted in Hong Kong without speaking Cantonese. Just point at the menu at some kanji characters I know and pray lol. I felt pretty welcome in any establishment that I went to. In fact, I feel a lot more at ease in Hong Kong than in Japan where I have lived for years and speak Japanese and also Taiwan where I have visited multiple times.

Ownage

The Wan Chai "ladies." Either embrace or avoid, depending on your preferences.

Don't go to Lan Kwai Fong. Too many sketchy ex pats and bar flies.

Pop into Shenzhen and go to Lo Wu Mall ...for a good time. Demand only "AAA" or better. Know the difference.

SoHo is alright to party, but I saw the same people every few weeks, and that got old. I always loved Sheung Wan for the relaxing atmosphere.

Tim Ho Wan has good dim sum, and used to be Michelin Star rated, but not sure if it is still ranked anymore. It's also all over the US, which diminishes the luster. Try the one in Central under IFC.

The markets in Shum Shui Po were fun. Watch your wallet.

Top Bottom