• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google AI beats top human players at strategy game StarCraft II

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Players of the science-fiction video game StarCraft II faced an unusual opponent this summer. An artificial intelligence (AI) known as AlphaStar — which was built by Google’s AI firm DeepMind — achieved a grandmaster rating after it was unleashed on the game’s European servers, placing within the top 0.15% of the region's 90,000 players.

The result, published on 30 October in Nature1, shows that an AI can compete at the highest levels of StarCraft II, a massively popular online strategy game in which players compete in real time as one of three factions — the human Terran forces or the aliens Protoss and Zerg — battling against each other in a futuristic warzone.

DeepMind, which previously built world-leading AIs that play chess and Go, targeted StarCraft II as its next benchmark in the quest for a general AI — a machine capable of learning or understanding any task that humans can — because of the game’s strategic complexity and rapid pace.

“I did not expect AI to essentially be superhuman in this domain so quickly, maybe not for another couple of years,” says Jon Dodge, an AI researcher at Oregon State University in Corvallis.

In StarCraft II, experienced players multitask by managing resources, executing complex combat manoeuvres and ultimately out-strategizing their opponents. Professionals play the game at a breakneck pace, making more than 300 actions per minute. The machine-learning techniques underlying DeepMind’s AI rely on artificial neural networks, which learn to recognize patterns from large data sets, rather than being given specific instructions.

DeepMind first pitted AlphaStar against high-level players in December 2018, in a series of laboratory-based test games. The AI played — and beat — two professional human players. But critics asserted that these demonstration matches weren’t a fair fight, because AlphaStar had superhuman speed and precision.

Before the team let AlphaStar out of the lab and onto the European StarCraft II servers, they restricted the AI's reflexes to make it a fairer contest. In July, players received notice that they could opt-in for a chance to potentially be matched against the AI. To keep the trial blind, DeepMind masked AlphaStar’s identity.

“We wanted this to be like a blind experiment,” says David Silver, who co-leads the AlphaStar project. “We really wanted to play under those conditions and really get a sense of, ‘how well does this pool of humans perform against us?’”

AlphaStar’s training paid off: it crushed low-ranking opponents and ultimately amassed 61 wins out of 90 games against high-ranking players.

check the link for more.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The game isn't so much about strategy and more about holding up beneath the pressure of high APM gameplay. It's attrition, not strategy, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that. Yet, it will make the game far easier for an AI to master since a human will never be able to compete with the APM of a machine.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I don’t get it, how is this different than just turning the AI of the game up to “very very very very hard” mode? This doesn’t seem like real Ai. Have they changed the definition of AI lately?

Kazza

let me know when AI can become toxic and shit talk me online.

Already happened 3 years ago:

AI has been doing that for years. any chess app on phones would beat top ranked chess players. machine has been beating man for years now.

Watch the video (it's only 6 minutes long). Starcraft is of completely different level of complexity to the likes of chess, or even go.
- real time, not turn based
- imperfect information (i.e. unlike chess, you can't see what the other player is doing, so the AI has to predict what the human opponent has, and decide which unit to build etc in order to counter these predicted moves)

TeamGhobad

Banned
Already happened 3 years ago:

Watch the video (it's only 6 minutes long). Starcraft is of completely different level of complexity to the likes of chess, or even go.
- real time, not turn based
- imperfect information (i.e. unlike chess, you can't see what the other player is doing, so the AI has to predict what the human opponent has, and decide which unit to build etc in order to counter these predicted moves)

the more complex the system the more of an advantage AI has.

Saber

Gold Member
Isn't the AI aways better in these kinds of games? Like, one of important things about this type of srategy games is micromanagement. The cpu handle all the tasks at same time, no?
Warcraft its the same thing.

Kazza

I don’t get it, how is this different than just turning the AI of the game up to “very very very very hard” mode? This doesn’t seem like real Ai. Have they changed the definition of AI lately?

In games like Civ, the difficulty is increased merely by either adding bonuses to the computer player. I've always found this very frustrating, so I'm really looking forward to when this technology is integrated into strategy games. Just like people are starting to add ray tracing to older 3D games (like it was for Half Life just recently), I would love to see this type of non-cheating, machine learning AI integrated into old strategy games. I'm interested in studying this area of AI next year and would like to see if I can train it on Civ 2 one day (if the tech becomes cheap and common enough for me to run it on a regular computer - although I'm sure someone much smarter than me will do it before I ever get around to it).

In the short term I'm very excited about what this could do for AI in strategy games. In the long term we are all fucked!

Lanrutcon

Apparently, APM was capped to make sure the AI doesn't just dominate by micro managing units..

You'd have to cap it in a variety of ways to emulate the interface layer that sits between the human mind and the game. You'd have to account the limitations of a mouse, the human hand, the human eye, how much information is on screen, all kinds of things. I'd be more impressed if that AI had to interface with the game through cameras and an actual mouse. Put a degree of separation between the AI and the game, just like humans have to endure. Then let's see if the tech can keep up.

Kazza

the more complex the system the more of an advantage AI has.

Once the AI has been trained up it possibly could have an greater advantage n more complex games, but actually programming/training the AI becomes more and more difficult as the complexity of the game increases, so kudos to the super smart people who did this.

Another, more in depth video (from Feb):

It's fascinating how the AI sometimes makes really stupid newbie mistakes, but then pulls off some inhuman act of genius. I wish I had played Starcraft before, then I could understand more of what is going on.

Last edited:

Kazza

It's interesting how Demis Hassabis (the founder of Deep Mind) has come full circle in his career. He started off programming AI for games under Peter Molyneux (Theme Park, Syndicate, Black and White), and is now back to programming AI again. Of course, his ambitions for the AI goes far beyond games these days.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
AI has been doing that for years. any chess app on phones would beat top ranked chess players. machine has been beating man for years now.
pretty sure you are trolling but beating an human at chess
vs beating a human in starcraft 2

is a world apart in variables

Handy Fake

Holly.jpg

TeamGhobad

Banned
pretty sure you are trolling but beating an human at chess
vs beating a human in starcraft 2

is a world apart in variables

It is for the benefit of the AI. The AI is able to control several things at once and make accurate calculations in a split second while a human can only do one thing at a time. It is obvious the AI is at a benefit here.

nkarafo

As an average chess player i could never beat any computer opponent even on older hardware like 8bit consoles.

TeamGhobad

Banned
As an average chess player i could never beat any computer opponent even on older hardware like 8bit consoles.

i use to be a 1700 player and i had no problem beating kasporovs machine when i was 12, today no chance. the AI has a combination of millions of reference games and the ability to make millions of calculations in a split second. a chess app on a phone wipes all the top players with ease.

Last edited:

Xyphie

The way they beat a few pro players a while back was really uninteresting, basically just with very strong mechanical skill because the AI could micro stalkers with blink with inhuman precision. It didn't actually do anything interesting strategically.

ChessBot

Neo Member
There are chess AI, that can beat grandmasters without any problem. When Kasparov lost first game to Deep Blue in 90s, it was like a magic. Today it is absolutely common thing.

longdi

Banned
StarCraft is basically rock paper scissors and fastest apm.

Let me know why ai can beat me in company of heroes

Top Bottom