• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gothic remake announced for next-gen consoles, PC

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Two months after the release of its Gothic Playable Teaser that served as a means to gauge interest in a potential Gothic remake, publisher THQ Nordic has announced that it will establish a new studio based in Barcelona, Spain to go into full production on a Gothic remake for “next-gen consoles” and PC. A release date was not announced, but THQ Nordic confirmed it will not launch in 2020.

Over 180,000 players played Gothic Playable Teaser so far, and 94.8 percent of the users that provided feedback were in favor of remaking the 2001-released RPG. Assessed data includes over 43,000 answered surveys and over 9,000 Steam reviews, as well as various discussions on social media platforms. A PDF with all the analyzed data is available here.

After the Barcelona studio is established, THQ Nordic will assess what players liked and what they want to be different from Gothic Playable Teaser. One of the most common examples was for a “grittier and less colorful world.”

“We are up for the challenge to develop a full Gothic remake which will stay as faithfully as possible to the original experience and transport the atmospheric world of Gothic into a high quality look and carefully modernizing certain gameplay mechanics,” THQ Nordic business and product development director Reinhard Pollice said in a press release.

Shin

Banned
Not a remake, but re-imaging according to THQ Nordic.

In 2019 the series became part of THQ Nordic and being fans of the original games we began thinking and experimenting with what could be done. While exploring we realized Gothic is still iconic but simply remaking it wouldn't work.

Therefore we tried a new approach: re-imagining the whole thing. In order to be sure that is the way to go we decided to approach this situation totally unique: We want to give you an early prototype of the game and ask you to let us know and give us feedback. We called it Playable Teaser!

Humdinger

I remember hearing good things about Gothic I and II, a long time ago. I never played them, because I'm a console player, and they were PC games. I'd be interested in a remake for consoles.

Did the guys who made Gothic go on to make Risen?

Xenon

Just heard about this. Such an amazing game that was years ahead of its time with dialogue and depth. It's the fantasy RPG equivalent Butcher's Bay.

Day 1 for me...

Last edited:

GenericUser

I watched a stream of the playable teaser or whatever it is called. It feels nothing like the original gothic 1 and 2. I recommend playing the original 1 and especially 2. They are among the best rpgs ever made.

scalman

so why that gameplay from teaser looks so bad like nothing next gen about it, and they will release it in 2021/22 on next gen ?

Stuart360

so why that gameplay from teaser looks so bad like nothing next gen about it, and they will release it in 2021/22 on next gen ?
Its a teaser that was made to test if there was any interest in a possible remake. The teaser is simply that, a teaser. Its also a AA game, and you need to get used to the fact that there will be a lot of 'next gen' games that look like current gen games, especially from smaller games, AA and Indie.
The teaser is actually verey demanding on PC maxed out.

mcz117chief

I remember hearing good things about Gothic I and II, a long time ago. I never played them, because I'm a console player, and they were PC games. I'd be interested in a remake for consoles.

Did the guys who made Gothic go on to make Risen?
Yeah, they did. The 1st one wasn't too bad, I finished it once but could never muster the enthusiasm to finish a second run, while on the other hand I have finished Gothic 1 a few times and 2 over a dozen times. I basically became a low level speed runner of 2 :D

Senua

I watched a stream of the playable teaser or whatever it is called. It feels nothing like the original gothic 1 and 2. I recommend playing the original 1 and especially 2. They are among the best rpgs ever made.
So jank though.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I remember Gothic, and it wasn't really a good game if I'm bening honest.
But hopefully this "reimagining" can be good.

Rvto7RM.jpg

Skifi28

and 94.8 percent of the users that provided feedback were in favor of remaking the 2001-released RPG.
Yes, people want a remake. As long as it has nothing to do with what we played on that demo that took away everything that made the original great. If you're going to remake it like a modern AC game, better let it rest in peace.

Last edited:
Top Bottom