• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Group Photos of Classic Dev Teams

tommib

Fun seems to have been replaced by profit.

I’m not saying the doom team wanted no money but I think the main thing they had was fun. Seems once money/shareholders got in the way it started to go off the rails.

John Romero went off the rails.

Also If I remember correctly the doom team had a female staff member who would take care of them in the sense she was like a surrogate mother. Making sure to remind them to eat/bath sleep etc. If I recall they had the upmost respect for her.
Donna Jackson was her name.

Though it wasn’t her job it was just they were too busy having fun making games to think about anything else.

She was the office manager. Where’s this quote she was telling to take a shower?

calistan

Sega Of Japan circa late 80's

mark-cerny.large.jpg
Sega were rock stars back in the day. I visted Yu Suzuki's office once and he had all sorts of stuff from his Western celebrity fans in there - a letter from Spielberg with a picture drawn by Spielberg's daughter, a glove from Michael Jackson, a guitar signed by Eddie Van Halen.

digdug2

Can we go back to 20 people teams, please?
I wish. I miss the days of a 30 dollar high quality 6-10 hour game with minimal bloat. Sure, these still exist to a degree, but most game experiences now are 40-60 hours and beyond and they're loaded to the gills with bullshit side quests, bases to clear, increasingly rare items to farm, etc. It's all so draining.

I know that many people are looking for a 70 hours AC Valhalla-esque journey, but I'm really not one of them these days.

Does anyone know if you can run GOG games on a steam deck? They have almost all Sierra classics. I don’t have a windows PC. Would the deck run them? I would get one just to play Shivers and Gabriel Knight again.

You can but it is a bit of a faff. It would be easier to buy them on Steam on sale (the Quest collections are £5 each I think (Gabriel Knight is there too), where you get cloud save support and they run quite nicely with selection screens for collections etc.

Looking at all these photos and then being reminded about the stupid modern politics, almost all studios had both women and minorities in their gang. Yet the way they talk about it nowadays as if women were never allowed and it was a white person only sport to be a game developer.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Nobody had purple/red hair back then. Why is that? How is that possible? How could they live?

Last edited:
Top Bottom