• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVMERS - The Rise and Fall of Lost Planet.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

At the farthest edges of space, there exists a world unlike any other. A world where hostile alien lifeforms known as the Akrid are fought endlessly for the thermal energy that runs through their veins. Where an intergalactic syndicate and lowly snow pirates battle for supremacy using towering robots known as Vital Suits. Where the temperature and environment fluctuate constantly, as if trying to consciously expel those unable to adapt to its capriciousness.

To those caught within its turmoil, this world is E.D.N. III, a hostile celestial body that welcomes only the most daring of explorers – and serves as the setting for Capcom’s Lost Planet series. Originally conceived by Mega Man maestro Keiji Inafune and a team of former Devil May Cry and Onimusha developers, the Lost Planet series provided early adopters of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 with an unusual, yet entertaining take on the third-person shooter, one that melded together Eastern and Western design values in ways unique to its genre.

Yet much like E.D.N. III itself, Lost Planet would undergo many dramatic shifts, with each of its entries featuring wildly different takes on its core narrative and mechanics. While all of these games found players willing to accept these changes, this refusal to remain the same resulted in Lost Planet’s fan base gradually eroding away, and Capcom eventually moving on to pursue greener pastures.

To many gamers, Lost Planet was inexorably linked with Capcom’s pursuit of Western-style games and developers during the seventh console generation, and the many disappointments that this initiative resulted in. Yet to those the forlorn series managed to touch, it was also one of the more unique and underrated experiences of its era – even though it could never quite settle on a single style.

This is the rise and fall of Lost Planet.

Last edited:

wipeout364

what rise
Wasn’t lost planet 1 a pretty big title on PS3 at launch?

I remember it being pretty hyped and a ton of buzz around it. I know I really enjoyed it one the my favorite early 360 games. I thought it sold pretty decent at the time.

Lost Planet 2 should have been huge and it was an amazing idea but the implementation was off, The levels were too long for a coop game is what I think I remember being one of the issues and the game just didn’t really work solo.

I absolutely love the art style in that game though, it was a real Japanese style take on a Sci Fi Monster hunter.

Lost planet 3 was decent for what it is but you can totally see it was was farmed out to a US company so doesn’t have that look or feel of the first two games. It’s not a bad game though, just not great one either.

Last edited:

Traianvs

I liked lost planet 1 on my xbox 360 because it was something new to showcase the graphics of my new console.
Never played lost 2 because it was focused on coop but I LOVED lost planet 3, great gameplay, story and acting.
I consider it one of the best hidden gems of the last generation

Top Bottom