• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection development has ceased. Reason was due to lack of microtransactions

FireFly

Holy shit, it’s still buggy? I had it on Xbone at launch and it was a mess. Years later I have it on PC and had no idea it was still buggy.

That’s crazy if it’s still messed up after all of these years.
The original issues were fixed, but they introduced bugs in newer updates. It's like what happened to Cyberpunk post 2.0. Only CDPR went back and did a final round of bug fixing, while Microsoft seem to be walking away.

Naked Lunch

This game released in 2014.
10 years of dev time seems plenty.

The turn around it enabled in that timeframe was incredible - night and day from launch day.
Just to note some facts - the dude who fixed the MCC is now the studio lead of 343 post the studios' shake up.

People still play this game and wont stop anytime soon - if ever.
You simply cannot say that about many 10-20 year old games in general let alone multiplayer games.
What mp games are people still willingly playing today from the 2001-2007 era?

The only people outraged are people who've never played it and never will.

Why in the world do you need a revenue stream for a remaster game collection?

You just sell the game and get money, just like every other remaster.
Because some people believe 343i should be putting work into creating new content and updates on the game indefinitely.

VAVA Mk2

Game is still in a great state now and with mod support, we will still get unofficial stuff on PC. Halo 2 Uncut just came out and is awesome!

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
The game was a buggy, broken mess at launch back in 2014. It has been TEN YEARS and its still a buggy mess. Far less broken, but that doesn't excuse the poor treatment some of the greatest FPS games of all time was given.

If anyone wants to replay the series, it is better to just go out of your way and pick up an OG Xbox and 360 to play them how they were originally made.

Drew1440

Anyone got a link to comparison with the latest (last) version and the original games?

Last I watched they had made a big jump towards parity of effects and quality of sounds effects, etc but it still wasn't the same as the original since they are trying to jerry-rig the shitty PC ports to look like the original console releases, even after all this time it seemed better just to play the originals via back compat on at least an Xbox One X, I'm not sure if there was benefit to playing on a Series X since both can output 4K@60hz. If setting an XSX to 120hz output gave some sort of frametime lag reduction benefit even when its output 60hz that doesn't affect me as I have a 4K60 display.

Latest vid I can find is this:

The the 2021 DF video seems to be the latest super in-depth video with side-by-sides and such:

Maybe these issues seem to be meaningless to some people but Halo 1 and 2 alongside HL1 and 2, Max Payne 1+2 and other classics from that time are such important games to me, that transition from being child to adult and from living at home to living away give them a special place in my heart. To the point I've been putting off full replays of Halo 1 and 2 for a decade now because I wanted MCC to be fixed and up to the starndard of the old games in all ways, I started to replay them back in 2021 after that DF video and I just kept going "oh that doesn't seem right", or "thats missing/weird" and it took me out of it and I stopped.

I'm thinking its time to just stop caring about MCC and replay the original releases at this point. Any Halo ultra nerds here that can give me a short answer on whether they think its up to standard of original now? I don't need perfection but I do need Arbiters armor to actually be shiny like it was, AI working 100% the same, things like that.

Wait hang on, this video says that coop doesn't as of the July update and Halo 3 cutscenes are broken now?!?? Does he mean SP coop? I don't care about MP. Its a fucking headache following this games' patch progression lol:

I think I don't care anymore, I will just play the originals.

I remember this being pointed out years ago where the original Xbox version have graphical effects that were lost when Gearbox ported it to the PC/Mac OS platforms. Then when the first remaster came out for the Xbox 360, they based that version on the PC port which meant those effects were also lost in that remaster.
At this point you're best focusing on Original Xbox emulation, you just can't rely on companies to preserve their own work.

Failing that, an OG Xbox with a component cable never fails, since Microsoft delisted the Xbox original version of Halo.

Kuranghi

I remember this being pointed out years ago where the original Xbox version have graphical effects that were lost when Gearbox ported it to the PC/Mac OS platforms. Then when the first remaster came out for the Xbox 360, they based that version on the PC port which meant those effects were also lost in that remaster.
At this point you're best focusing on Original Xbox emulation, you just can't rely on companies to preserve their own work.

Failing that, an OG Xbox with a component cable never fails, since Microsoft delisted the Xbox original version of Halo.

I believe I still have my OG Xbox and X2VGA under my bed was just hoping to play on modern HW at least, can I not buy a copy of the original Halo and H2 on Xbox and put them into a modern Xbox for BC?

Ozzie666

That's one way to lower the oxygen levels. Some companies are really good about keeping customer confidence or building a brand. It's easy to make fun of Ubisoft these days, but they used to bring something new each generation and continued with sequels, they understood breaking even and building took time.

I'm really not a fan of paid DLC, but it's a fair trade if done well. Keep people interested for when you release the next big Halo game.

Drew1440

I believe I still have my OG Xbox and X2VGA under my bed was just hoping to play on modern HW at least, can I not buy a copy of the original Halo and H2 on Xbox and put them into a modern Xbox for BC?
The most modern hardware the originals will play on is the Xbox 360, The One/Series consoles don't have the first two Halo games on their compatibility lists

Here's a full play-though of the original running on the 360

Kuranghi

The most modern hardware the originals will play on is the Xbox 360, The One/Series consoles don't have the first two Halo games on their compatibility lists

Here's a full play-though of the original running on the 360

Okay that actually makes it easier anyway, I have a Gears SE Xbox 360 with HDMI connected right now for Burnout Revenge, I'll get a copy of Halo 1 and 2 and play them there, I need to recover my Xbox account to get them working though I'm guessing, for online check or the like. If I do that I can get Black working again too, since its throwing an error message when I try to launch it right now.

T-0800

One of the best gaming comeback stories.
high quality GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont know how many gamers still play online, but at least keep the online servers going. MS can afford it. If Activision can keep MP accessible for old ass COD games, then keep Halo MCC up. As crazy as it seems when I'd dabble in World at War (I havent tried this year but played it last year), not only can you still get into a game, but the global leaderboard stats still update every match you finish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom