• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Tango's closure changed your stance on timed exclusivity deals vs. acquisitions?

anthony2690

Gold Member
I'm genuinely so sad about the tango closure, I personally loved both Ghostwire Tokyo & Hi Fi Rush and was super excited about their future, and I honestly though with hi Fi Rush coming to playstation, they were super safe and it would get me a sequel and that too :(

I'm still looking forward to the LRG physical release though.

Exclusivity and proprietary hardware are so fucking stupid, at least if you're on the consumer side of things. I can't wait for this shit to end, and luckily it seems like we're getting closer.

Hundreds of games wouldn't exist if not for exclusivity. It's so economy basics that I can't understand this needs to be explained. It's like asking that all the games are day one on Gamepass or free, for that matter.

Many decisions make barely sense from the hardly properly informed outside view.
Some stuff seems to be outright bonkers, but might be backed up by some numbers and or sometimes I can imagine just personal relationship were top or lacking. In the case of Tango relations might have only existed with Mikami and no one else in the remaining force was given a chance to follow him even though they might have had reasonably success with HiFi Rush.

Not fun for employees to be fired for dumb reasons, but as long as they are not themselves invested, it is just a job, no lifelong promise. Those who are invested, the studio founders, usually take those acquisition deals and the buyer drives the studio in the ground, making the loss. So whatever. Real talent will usually respawn.

Cyberpunkd

My question is, how many successful acquisitions can you actually name? Especially at this scale of entire publishers?
None or very little. They did a huge research on acquisition, I think it even got published in HBR. Long story short: acquisitions very, very rarely pan out and generate additional value. They are way more often used to pad balance sheet, offload spare cash if you don't want to do share buyback (another favorite of top management everywhere) or just due to hubris.

GymWolf

Aquisitions done well can be positive, focus on done well.

Like when M bought bethesda i naively thought that with the money and manpower of M, bethesda game would have been more polished, with more betatesting etc. Like using the money for good things, but alas...

I don't have strong feelings about timed exclusivity tbh.

Top Bottom