• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the PS4's 1080i deinterlacing for video been fixed yet?

Vashetti

Banned
For those who don't know, HDTVtest did a test on the PS4 back in 2013 soon after it launched, and they found that the PS4 doesn't correct deinterlace 1080i content (i.e. some Blu-ray discs, etc.).

That’s the end of the good news, however. If you play 1080i content on the PS4, you’ll find that the system deinterlaces it, and does a poor job of it. There doesn’t seem to be any semi-advanced motion-adaptive deinterlacing on the PS4 at all, with the entire screen (and not just the moving areas) being deinterlaced with a fairly crude algorithm. Visually, that translates into fine details flickering slightly. Of course, it’s more obvious in test charts than it is in content, but the resolution is being lost either way.

Nearly all films are stored at 24p so don’t count on seeing any issues with those, but if you play a video-based concert or documentary on the machine, you’ll be getting lessened vertical resolution compared to what you’d get from a better Blu-ray player such as the PS3, or nearly any standalone player.

Don’t think about setting the output to 1080i to send 1080i discs out in their native format, either: this compounds the problem. Even with the output set to 1080i, all 1080i content is deinterlaced internally and then output. There’s no native path for 1080i Blu-ray content on the PS4 (yet?), everything goes through the sub-par 1080p conversion process.

The diagonal interpolation test (which tests for a player’s ability to smooth jaggies during interlace to progressive conversion) didn’t return good results either, with jaggies being obvious on steep angles.

Unsurprisingly with all of this in mind, there is no provision made for film mode deinterlacing (detecting the presence of film content stored in an interlaced signal). Just so it’s clear, here are the tests from the 60hz tests on the Spears & Munsil disc:

2-2 (30fps inside 60i): Fail
2-2-2-4: Fail
2-3-2-3 PF-T (24fps inside 60i with MPEG metadata): Fail
2-3-2-3 (24fps inside 60i): Fail
2-3-2-3: Fail
2-3-3-2: Fail
3-2-3-2-2: Fail
5-5: Fail
6-4: Fail
8-7-8-7: Fail
Time-adjusted: Fail

Likewise, for European users watching European content (BBC TV shows are an obvious example), it’s worth knowing that the Blu-ray format does not have provision for 25p, so all of this content is encoded at 50i, and accordingly falls foul of the PS4′s lack of deinterlacing capabilities. With 1080i HD content, this is actually not a gigantic problem, and we imagine most users won’t notice owed to the high HD resolution masking the resolution loss. It’s still poorer quality than many standalone players, however.
It’s a strange decision on Sony’s part, because when first launched, the PS3 system simply output 1080i content as 1080i (natively), meaning that the other components in the user’s AV system (AV receiver or TV) would do the deinterlacing. We’d hope this is something Sony addresses with a system update – either give us good deinterlacing with film mode detection, or just output the 1080i content as pure 1080i and let another device that has the same capabilities take care of it.

If you look at the article they also mention that the PS4 doesn't correct display PAL DVDs either (which the PS4 did). EDIT: Eurogamer's article points out the PAL DVD issue was fixed with update 1.61:

[Update 20/2/14 13:05 GMT] With the release of firmware revision 1.61 Sony has now fixed the de-interlacing issues on PAL DVDs. The correct cadence is detected and the results are dramatic: edges now appear smooth, and far more of the finer details contained within the video stream appear to be resolved. With the botched de-interlacing now gone, the update also reveals that the PS4 scales DVDs to a higher standard than the PS3 and Xbox One, producing sharper images.

Eurogamer have also pointed out issues with how the PS4 handles 1080i video content.

Mi5v8Gn.jpg
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...he-better-media-player-ps4-xbox-one-revisited

Does anyone know if any PS4 updates since have fixed this? Sony hasn't mentioned it at all in any patch notes or spoke about it publicly. The PS3's Blu-ray/media player doesn't have these issues.

androvsky

Good grief. I'm pretty sure they fixed some of the video issues after launch, but I don't have a link handy. You have a PS4 right? Maybe load up some interlaced video and see if it's okay?

edit: Missed the OP's edit from earlier, the PAL DVD fix is probably what I was thinking of.

Pretty much any BBC documentary series (I have a lot of Attenborough on Blu-ray), lots of concerts.

The PS3 doesn't have this issue.

Well either keep your PS3 if you already have one, or better yet buy a dedicated blu-ray player which is much better for less than $60.

As I said in a previous thread, at this point I wouldnt expect any significant update to the PS4 that doesnt relate to social, streaming media or purchasing content and services from the PSN store.

Pretty much if Sony cannot monitize it in some way, dont expect it to be a priority.

Top Bottom