• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help a brother out, calling all GAF online videogamers

Jotaro

Banned
Ok, now I cannot play videogames at all due to my tumor issues (as some of you know), but it will get cured in a few months. :)

I have not played a videogame since september 2003 because of this, but that hasn't stopped me from making a backlog of videogames, many of which include online play. I have all platforms, and I am a gaming system agnostic. I have for example: Half-Life 2, Halo 2, Hot Shots Golf Fore, along with many, many others that will allow me to play online with some of you.

Of course, I do not have Xbox Live as of yet, but I think I'm going to try it. I'm a total Xbox Live newbie tough. I played online with my PS2 and I enjoyed it, but I do not have an headset as for yet (which I plan to fix). My PC can handle recent games. So I wonder what games and/or platform would be better for me? I've played no game since Soul Calibur 2 for the Xbox when it launched, so while I have heavily followed the videogames, I will need a lot of catch-up, especially when it comes to online gaming.

I am particularly interested in what games have the best communities, and GAF communities. I know about Xbox Live more than PS2, but has PS2 got interesting, newbie friendly communities, some that might me hotspots for GAFers? I would like as much information as possible on such things, it's not for now, but for sure I will have zero social life when I will be cured, so that might be a good idea to keep me in contact with gamers, and to play games in the same way.

Of course, also, I'd be lying to myself if I did not asked the following question: would some of y'all accept a newbie, or a player that might suck at some specific videogames? Or someone who speaks good english, but that might have some french accent, without making fun of it, or at least do it in a gentle way? Would GAF online gamers just take me as I am? :)

I except good from this. Help me if you think you can! :)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
This forum is pretty slow moving Jotaro.

Heres how online works though, everybody is a dick. Seriously. It's fun, but everybody is a dick. And yes you will get made fun of for sounding french by about 500 thousand americans. :lol But don't worry if you play with the Gaffers everyone i've played with is pretty cool. Just check the games your interested in and send friend requests.

Jotaro

Banned
In fact I do not really know if I have (or even will have) a french accent, because I never have to speak in english (save for calling customer service hotlines). But, when I had to do so after months of doing nothing, I could not believe how my voice had changed and my english had bettered. So maybe it will all be transparent. :lol

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Generally speaking, he's right, people are dicks online. For the same reason they often are on forums. However, to combat this is the purpose of having a friends list on Xbox LIVE and by and large it works. Of course that can be a struggle too (building the said list) but you'd be surprised at how easy it is to find like minded, decent gamers by contacting forum people you like and simply playing a few games online. If you conduct yourself in a decent manner in online games there's usually at least one other person who is in the situation you are of finding people and you can send them a request or often receive one yourself. You can't avoid the dicks totally, but you can isolate yourself quite a bit. There are also sites online dedicated to certain games, Xbox Live, etc. that hold closed games and uphold their members to a certain standard of behavior.

The only thing on PS2 I ever found comparable was SOCOM II, and I look forward to 3 for the same reasons. Unfortunately, since the games don't have a universal friends list, etc. it's not as useful. People can name you tons of games that are online as well on the system, but the communities and resources suck in comparison.

I've reached a point in life where easy, multiplayer gaming is my favorite way to enjoy my consoles and LIVE is easily the best option. A year membership for the price of one game has been one of my best investments in my hobby.

Jotaro

Banned
That makes me remember, when I was playing Half-Life in 2003, I had no microphone connected, and people because I could not reply would all say something like: hey, are you gay? And other gay, related jokes.

I remember I got my vengeance, I got my mic up at the last minute. It was pretty close, they were all gathered, I had a rocket launcher, it was in nearly perfect synchronicity. I saw them I was standing still with my mic in my left hand, my mouse aiming, and then shooting, guiding the rocket with the mouse and killing everyone with one shot, and right before I did I said something like (I tried to imitate Lo Wang in Shadow Warrior, with a little emphasis on the last word): anybody wants some WAAAANGG? And then, BAM! They all collapsed into pieces and I won. They were all swearing like shit, like: hey fuck you fucking dick! I went first and won the game, and disconnected. :lol

Anyway, if there are really good online clans, especially with forums such as GAF, it will be easier for me to find nice people to play with. :)

Oh and when you will find me as your team mate or your enemy, that might not be obvious but I'm extremely polite and respectfull, and I do not swear. However, please do not be too mean if I suck at some games. At least I hope you all tease gently? ;)

Seriously, I'm all for it. See you sometime!

Top Bottom