• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help...Please! Wireless Network (WPA) Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so long story short I've been running an unsecured wireless network for the past 6 months or so... I was initially going to use security, but I've heard bad things about WEP and it makes my connection crawl... Soooo, I decided to opt for WPA but I cannot under any circumstances get WPA working. I have a SMC Barricade router, and when I go into the admin page, I go to the security section and enable WPA using a passkey. I enter a pass key, for example "gocardinals" and it generates some sort of hexadecimal key that looks like this:

B1 47 38 06 E4 EC A1 AB A2 90 93 9C 22 D2 18 3B
FD 85 C2 BA DA F7 52 C1 8B 74 00 C9 15 3B C5 01

Now, where do I go form here? I'm using XP SP2, and it recognizes my router, but asks for a security key... Now Do I put "gocardinals" in there, or that long ass hex key? When I try "gocardinals" it says too short, so I'm guessing that can't be it... But then I tried the hex key, and that doesn't fit either... WTF.... I even tried to take out the spaces of the hex key, and just use one line... it appeared to be thinking about it, but eventually just times out... WTF am I doing wrong, it’s like I'm missing something in the loop, I'm just not sure what it is... Am I overlooking something obvious? This is frustrating because I'm usually pretty good at figuring out things like this.

Oh and I decided to put security on my network because recently I gained access to a neighbor’s connection... Actually that’s' who's connection I’m using as I type this... their router is totally unsecured, they broadcast their SSID, and all of their passwords to manage the router are still at defaults... (I know like all of the defaults because I used to work for an ISP...) So, I log in, and I have access to all of their settings....If I was some jackass I could attempt to upload a faulty firmware and permanently ruin their router. I would never do that, but being able to access it made me want to make sure I'm not putting my self out to be compromised... of course I use MAC filtering, I don't broadcast my id, and I changed the password from defaults, so that should help thwart any wannabe hax0rz. It's just the people who know what they're doing I'm worried about... SO WHAT AM I DOING WRONG WITH THIS DAMN WPA THING?

teiresias

I have no idea what kind of prompt you are potentially getting asking you for a security key. Unless you mean the key field in the networking set-up window.

I believe on my router - it's a netgear - I actually entered the passphrase into the computers I wanted attached, I don't think the router even returned a hex number. If I tried to setup WEP it would generate a hex key from the passphrase and I'd have to use that, but with WPA everything was done with the passphrase I believe. I'm not at home so I can't really check.

There are two different versions of WPA as well, so you have to make sure you have the PC's set to the same one as well.

alejob

Aparently you use WPA for authentication with a server. Unless you have a server you shouldn't use WPA. Use WEP and use a 256bit encryption if you need high security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom