• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima outlines the ethos behind Konamis Fox Engine - Last Month's EDGE

Hanmik

an interesting interview..

How does Fox Engine alter the way in which you work?
Fox Engine by itself can’t compete with engines that are being sold right now as a business. It makes our workflow as efficient as possible for our purposes. We’re focusing on things like lighting – like in the Ground Zeroes trailer, using lighting to cover for, say, a low polygon count, but still being able to achieve photorealism.

Pro Evo uses a modified version of Fox Engine, but the studio appears to be in a period of cultural change. Will this be common as Japanese studios move into the next generation?
I don’t want to say too much about this [and] start a fight, but as far as the team is concerned, in the beginning their approach wasn’t really suited to the tool. They’ve gotten better now. I think Japan lags behind in three respects: one, engine tools; two, user systems to take advantage of those engines, and three, management processes to use those tools effectively. We’ve given the engine to other teams in Konami, but right now these other two things are lagging behind.

What did you think of the PlayStation Meeting and PS4?
Honestly, I’ve been way too busy to see it! Of course, I know what the hardware is, but I want to see how other companies are using it. [Kojima asks us to describe the unveiling.] First of all, I think that’s great, but it’s nothing special; you could see it coming. It’s the logical evolution of the platform…

What do you think Sony should do?
Honestly, I think all of that is good and great. Social aspects, the multidevice direction: that’s correct, that’s the way to go. But just because it has these features doesn’t mean it’s going to be a success. What will really determine whether or not it sells is what titles will be available for the platform. And unfortunately, even though I am friends with Mark Cerny, he’s never told me what other studios are working on. I even ate a meal with him recently and he didn’t tell me anything.

more at the link

http://www.edge-online.com/features/hideo-kojima-outlines-the-ethos-behind-konamis-fox-engine/

Nibel

What will really determine whether or not it sells is what titles will be available for the platform. And unfortunately, even though I am friends with Mark Cerny, he’s never told me what other studios are working on. I even ate a meal with him recently and he didn’t tell me anything.

I swear I read that line a couple of weeks ago

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
and we thought this man doesn't age :/

2013-03-2716_52_41-his6imf.png

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
What have i done, this thread is now about Kojima's face, lol.

It's too bad whenever developers create these engine they'll won't loan it out, would think many will do it to recuperate their loss...

I love how he talks about using a lighting to mask a low polygon count yet team cg thinks FOX is powerful enough to essentially create people.

Top Bottom