• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hiding Spot, the panic attack puzzle

Simbabbad

I'm a big fan of puzzle games, and I recently finished the latest game from Corey Martin, the guy behind Pipe Push Paradise.

I enjoyed Pipe Push Paradise, but it was IMO a step down compared to games like Stephen's Sausage Roll, A Good Snowman is Hard to Build or Sokobond: the game was a bit tedious and too complicated for its own good IMO, with a lot of steps to go through for each puzzle (the bonus island was brilliant, though).

Hiding Spot has none of the flaws of Pipe Push Paradise and is a welcome change from the usual Sokoban formula. You play a guy who goes through a panic attack, and who tries to isolate himself using the walls and furniture in the room. Unlike the usual Sokoban-like game, you can actually pull objects, and there is another action button that allows you to crouch or stand up. The puzzles are therefore much more dense and "to the point" (since you can pull objects, the rooms can be smaller). You also have to think in 3D, which is refreshing and well-used in the game.

What really struck me is how most of the puzzles seem unsolvable at first until you "get it", which is the most satisfying thing in a puzzle game IMO. There are various pieces of furniture, each with its own logic, and every puzzle feels really clever.

The game has 55 puzzles compared to the 64 of Pipe Push Paradise, but it's much shorter - the puzzles are, well, puzzling (more so than PPP IMO), but not really hard. The game is also much cheaper, 2$. It's really worth it IMO, both given the cleverness of the puzzles and the original theme of the game.

https://toboggan.itch.io/hiding-spot

Last edited:

Simbabbad

Oops, I just realized that the title should be: "Hiding Spot, the panic attack puzzle game". If an admin could edit it...

Top Bottom