• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Ninjas - Official Trailer

FunkMiller

I'll watch it... but I'd really like to see someone actually attempt a 'serious' ninja story set in the modern day, instead of cheese like this, with people somersaulting around in little black pyjamas, waving little swords around. Modern day ninjas would use every modern day weapon and piece of equipment at their disposal (the same way they did back in feudal Japan). The idea that they'd still wear the same get up, and use the same stuff they did 300 years okay is fucking silly. But then I guess this series is leaning on the silly anyway, so...

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

I'll watch it... but I'd really like to see someone actually attempt a 'serious' ninja story set in the modern day, instead of cheese like this, with people somersaulting around in little black pyjamas, waving little swords around. Modern day ninjas would use every modern day weapon and piece of equipment at their disposal (the same way they did back in feudal Japan). The idea that they'd still wear the same get up, and use the same stuff they did 300 years okay is fucking silly. But then I guess this series is leaning on the silly anyway, so...
I think the whole idea of a modern ninja is silly by itself. Like you said I think the director is leaning on the silliness and he seems to have worked on several decent movies so I have some hope this will be good.

FunkMiller

I think the whole idea of a modern ninja is silly by itself. Like you said I think the director is leaning on the silliness and he seems to have worked on several decent movies so I have some hope this will be good.

They could build a show or a movie around a modern day assassin who comes from an ancestral ninja clan, or something similar. Someone who does what actual, real ninja used to do, which is assassinate people. They sure as hell didn't do backflips on the tops of trains, or waggle swords around :messenger_tears_of_joy:

AJUMP23

Will Chris Farley GIF

hentai GIF

greatest ninja movie.

hq720.jpg

This came out recently and kind of has what you're asking for. Modern assassins, but it is 2/3 serious 1/3 comedy. Still good show, to me at least.

NahaNago

This looked good. I'd still like a more mystical like ninja movie. Like a mix between ninja assassin, naruto, and a gore horror movie.

Tams

Blow me down, a Japanese TV show that's not full of terrible acting and not terribly directed.

That said, Netflix's non-Western stuff does tend to meld good direction with good talent scouting.

Atrus

Gold Member
It’s a wholesome, ninja-themed family drama with all of the stereotypical plot elements from a family drama (ie. poor communication being a central feature of familial dysfunction) mashed into a short series.

I’d call it a tv show good for family viewing if they’d be okay with the dismemberment, poisoning, and murder. I like to see families presented or promoted in a functional, cohesive way and this does that. The action is power rangers level and the plot pulls its punches from being too gruesome or serious when given to opportunity to go further.

Overall there’s nothing deep or provoking to take away, just a family show to fill the time.

Dr_Salt

It’s a wholesome, ninja-themed family drama with all of the stereotypical plot elements from a family drama (ie. poor communication being a central feature of familial dysfunction) mashed into a short series.

I’d call it a tv show good for family viewing if they’d be okay with the dismemberment, poisoning, and murder. I like to see families presented or promoted in a functional, cohesive way and this does that. The action is power rangers level and the plot pulls its punches from being too gruesome or serious when given to opportunity to go further.

Overall there’s nothing deep or provoking to take away, just a family show to fill the time.
Sounds fun, def gonna watch it.

Top Bottom