• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How climate change is rapidly taking the planet apart and towards human extinction

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my doubts about climate change and its effects. I have trouble believing scientists that tell me it'll be 3.5 deg warmer in x years and then they cannot accurately tell me what the weather will be tomorrow! .

This is why science and maths should be taught more intensively in schools. Every winter blizzard there are climate skeptics undermining climate science by making observations about local conditions to their audience based on their "common sense".

Scientists cannot predict when there is an earthquake but they can tell you how far north the continental plate you are standing on will be one year from now.

Science can tell you the height of the tide next month, but it can't tell you how big each individual wave will be.

In the worst case senario we have to change our lifestyle as its not sustainable. Infinite economic growth is wishfull thinking in a finite system.

Futureman

In the worst case senario we have to change our lifestyle as its not sustainable. Infinite economic growth is wishfull thinking in a finite system.

That's a very sugarcoated way to describe the worst case scenario. It will involve lots of death and pain, mostly for poor people.

Lime

Australia isn't mentioned once.

I don't know why the author left out Australia. It's probably the historically low output and that the total emissions don't amount to being in the top 10.

Australia has one of the highest per capita emissions of carbon dioxide in the world. It was 18.3 tonnes per year per person and the 11th highest in the world per capita in 2009. Australia consists of 5.15% of the worlds land mass and contributes 1.8% of the worlds annual Green house gas production. If all the counties of the world had a population density similar to that of Australia the global production of Green house gas would be reduced to 78.64% of current production levels. Conversely, if every person in the world produced the same as each Australian, the world would produce approximately 560% more Green house gas emissions. Australia uses principally coal power (70%) for electricity, with zero nuclear power production, and low levels of hydro power.

Demoskinos

I wonder just how fucked we have to be for governments to actually take it seriously?

The point where were actually fucked. Too many people still believe that "its a myth" or "doesn't exist" despite most of the planet still regularly recording temperatures that are the hottest in recorded history.

G-Bus

Banned
This is from 2012, but it needs to be seen by more people:
https://youtu.be/kx1Jxk6kjbQ?t=9s

There is a very high chance we're going for catastrophe and the first thing we think about is "How will people get to work?!?!"

Well that's not depressing at all...

Been laying in bed with youtube telling me the end of the world is only 15 years away.

Really seems like we're passed the point of no return. Things can't be done quickly enough to make a significant enough of a change let a lone stop it.

Always knew I was growing up in an interesting point in history.

The point where were actually fucked. Too many people still believe that "its a myth" or "doesn't exist" despite most of the planet still regularly recording temperatures that are the hottest in recorded history.
It's not just people saying CC is a myth or doesn't exist. It's also people that think a 2-2.5 C increase is going to be ok. That 2 degree increase will trigger more release of methane. It's a vicious cycle. But to the people thinking a 2C increase being ok... We can take our time in doing things to address the issue.

But nope... How are people going to get to work? Sorry bro, can't turn off my AC while I'm at work. Nah bro, I need to go on a road trip once or twice a year ago I need a SUV.

Every car recommendation thread on GAF, one of the most liberal places on the internet, still completely ignore EV recommendations despite knowledge of CC.

KrellRell

It's not just people saying CC is a myth or doesn't exist. It's also people that think a 2-2.5 C increase is going to be ok. That 2 degree increase will trigger more release of methane. It's a vicious cycle.

But nope... How are people going to get to work? Sorry bro, can't turn off my AC while I'm at work. Nah bro, I need to go on a road trip once or twice a year ago I need a SUV.

Every car recommendation thread on GAF, one of the most liberal places on the internet, still completely ignore EV recommendations despite knowledge of CC.

Dude, how can I go camping without and SUV? What about winter driving? I'm doooooomed

linsivvi

Well that's not depressing at all...

Been laying in bed with youtube telling me the end of the world is only 15 years away.

Really seems like we're passed the point of no return. Things can't be done quickly enough to make a significant enough of a change let a lone stop it.

Always knew I was growing up in an interesting point in history.

Yeah. The younger generations believe in it, but by the time they are in control of world governments it might already be too late.

Skinpop

i'm confident we'll abandon fossil fuels soon enough. it's just a problem of economics and we're not far away from reaching the breaking point where fossil fuels just doesn't make any sense in terms of cost anymore. I'd love it if politicians pushed the issue harder but I never had much faith in that generating the necessary results anyway.

Kill3r7

i'm confident we'll abandon fossil fuels soon enough. it's just a problem of economics and we're not far away from reaching the breaking point where fossil fuels just doesn't make any sense in terms of cost anymore. I'd love it if politicians pushed the issue harder but I never had much faith in that generating the necessary results anyway.

Are you talking about first world countries or developing nations like China and India?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I have my doubts about climate change and its effects. I have trouble believing scientists that tell me it'll be 3.5 deg warmer in x years and then they cannot accurately tell me what the weather will be tomorrow!

This is a shame dude. The educational system is really failing if people get through high school without the opportunity to understand what science is at this level. I really hope this doesn't come off as condescending because I'm not trying to single you out or be disrespectful. I'm sure you're familiar with other situations where making a large scale prediction is far simpler to do well than making a highly specific prediction about something very local. Off the top of my head, take for example election exit polls or any public census. If they held the same value as trying to guess a person's individual opinion they would be basically worthless.

this is the result of someone actually critically thinking about the issue. I wish more people followed this line of thought to the obvious conclusion. there is little to no downside to take a protective measure like this, outside of a few cunts that want to line their pockets instead.

Probably could've written that a little better honestly...

How about, to sum it up: If we act like climate change is real and actually do something about it, we risk and lose nothing and we get a pretty fucking awesome return on that investment, and will come out way better off in the end regardless of what ends up actually happening.

On the other hand if we do nothing, we're basically risking the lives of the entire human race for what amounts to things staying pretty much the same as they are now. Your only hope in that scenario (barring wizards actually being real, aliens happening, or Super Jesus) is for practically every climate scientist on Earth (and everyone from every other scientific field of study that is seeing the effects of climate change) to end up being completely wrong. Are you willing to bank everyone's life--or the life of your kid or grandkid, for that matter--on that being the case?

So, which is it? Risk nothing and gain an awful lot of awesome stuff in the future no matter what? Or risk everything and gain, at best, literally nothing?

Hmmm...

This is horribly depressing. Money is the only thing that can save us. When clean[er] energy is cheaper than fossil fuels.

Ehhh a huge part of it is also regional instability unfortunately. There's alot of economies that rely on fossil fuels for the vast majority of their GDP. We need this to happen soon, but there's going to be some massive fallouts.

Rofl, probably never been to China I assume?

I have so to add:
-Govt adds more tax when buying cars to push people to use the public transportation
-Has good public transportation
-A lot of homes use solar panel water heaters and they are cheep to acquire ( in South)
-Do not waste food!

Ehhh a huge part of it is also regional instability unfortunately. There's alot of economies that rely on fossil fuels for the vast majority of their GDP. We need this to happen soon, but there's going to be some massive fallouts.
We've had close to a century to adapt. I have no pity or sympathy for the people in the fossil fuel industry.

We've had close to a century to adapt. I have no pity or sympathy for the people in the fossil fuel industry.

Neither do I, I feel bad for the people who will suffer from the negligence of countries that have very little diversification in their industries. It's going to happen regardless, and I want it to happen now. But there's no telling how places like Russia for instance will react to a quick change and what they might do as a response to what they see as western agression. Considering nearly 60% of their current economy relies on oil. I know many see climate change regulations and legislation as a ploy to screw with their economy.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

Wow. Proof that some people are beyond saving if I ever saw it...

Sen. James Inhofe says school children are being “brainwashed” into believing in climate change and that parents need to “un-brainwash” them.

Inhofe, an outspoken climate change skeptic and chairman of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, said he came to the realization when his granddaughter challenged him on his denial of the science behind global warming.

“My own granddaughter came home one day and said … ‘Popi, why is it you don’t understand global warming?’ I did some checking, and Eric, the stuff that they teach our kids nowadays, they are brainwashed — you have to un-brainwash them when they get out,” Inhofe said.

Xenus

This is why science and maths should be taught more intensively in schools. Every winter blizzard there are climate skeptics undermining climate science by making observations about local conditions to their audience based on their "common sense".

Scientists cannot predict when there is an earthquake but they can tell you how far north the continental plate you are standing on will be one year from now.

Science can tell you the height of the tide next month, but it can't tell you how big each individual wave will be.

Yup we are much better on the macro scale and long term trends at the moment then the micro scale. Probably cause we have quite a few factors missing in our models but the majority of them have far more effect on the day to day then they do the long term of years or decades.

mmhh....I already live off the grid half of the time.
maybe I can survive by moving to my mountain place in the woods, going full fledged caveman style 24/7.

It's mighty frustrating that we fucked up the planet thht bad and still don't give a single damn about it.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
This stuff gives me panic attacks and keeps me up at night. When I would bring it up during the Prinary threads nobody ever gave a shit. I wish people cared.

As a parent, I can only hope that we invent some baller tech.

Clockwork5

It's too late. It will get much worse before it gets better.

I mean I recycle what I can, turn my lights off and only drive a few thousand miles a year, but it's pointless. It's too late.

M3d10n

Seems positive feedback loops are already in motion, so things will keep getting worse even if we stop emissions completely. Barring some lucky unforeseen miracle, like an unexpected ice age or something like that, we'll have to start gambling with large scale geoengineering projects.

I want to quote this post again, because it's pretty important, and it seems like a lot of people didn't see it.

I wanted to make a quick check of the source in the OP so I looked into the "IEA says 3.5 degrees by 2035" claim. It looks to be unsupported. The primary source clearly appears to be the Christian Science Monitor, seeing how most sources either quote it verbatim or link back to it, but try as I might, there's just no indication of there being an actual IEA release to that effect.

Quite the contrary: actual IEA releases seem to predict a much more modest 3.5 degrees by 2200 under current committments scenario.

https://www.iea.org/publications/fr...2015SpecialReportonEnergyandClimateChange.pdf

During the search, I also found indications that the source is plagiarising Mother Jones with that terrifying list of theirs that the 3.5 degrees by 2035 claim is on.

http://www.motherjones.com/environm...nvironment-apocalypse-human-extinction?page=2

Big caveat: I'm not saying there's nothing to worry about - there absolute is. But whenever you see these claims that climate change is proceeding much faster than expected or that we'll reach some temperature decades or centuries earlier than previously thought; be skeptical. Climate scientists are really good at what they do. Their models are pretty much on point, that's not the problem. The problem is the incredibly slow response on a global scale. But even a business as usual scenario is completely unlikely to create a sudden climate apocalypse; rather, it's the slow march towards it by the end of the century that should scare us, because that's when our children and grandchildren will live through it.

That's not to say we're not in the shit. We are very deep in the shit. But there's still a significant difference between the apocalypse being visible in the distance and it being on your front lawn.

If you want some hope, see this post:

And I'm also going to add this TED talk on a third Industrial Revolution, which I found a bit hopeful.

And there is some research happening to try to find ways to scrub carbon out of the air. It's early, and I certainly can't guarantee it will go anywhere, but there's a chance.

Hope is a little like a drug. With the right application of it, it gets people moving and motivated. But if you take too much of it and just sit back and trust things will work out, it becomes toxic. You also need to take action.

So please, do whatever you can. If you have the money to install solar or buy an electric vehicle, do that. Especially if you can do both, because then you can drive around guilt-free! (I don't know that I'll ever have the money for this, but I'd do it with a quickness if I did! Even as it is, I think I'll be seeing if I can do something with even a couple little panels once I'm out of school.) Try to walk, bike, or use public transit if you can't afford an electric car. Vote for and support politicians and public figures that care about fixing this. Vote for it every single chance you get. Donate to climate change causes if you can, or anything else you can think of.

The wall may not be ten feet away, but it's there in the distance, and we're going downhill. But we do have a chance to turn the train enough so that not every single car crashes into it. And I'll take some of the train cars surviving over total destruction of the only confirmed source of life and consciousness in the universe any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom