• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do chronic Movie Star alcoholics get fat?

You're gonna be drinking stuff that really gets you drunk like spirits, because beer and wine doesn't work anymore, and that does not make you put on weight. In fact you lose a lot coz there's basically no calories in whisky or vodka and you basically don't eat

So how the hell do they get fat? (ie Matthew Perry and Ben Affleck)

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Their natural body types are probably fatter but they probably are on a training and diet regimen to keep an image. All works well when sober.

The second they fuck up or dont care (addiction issue) or retired (like athletes), they become fat asses because they are sitting around all day as millionaire slobs. Money is no issue so they are probably pigging out on steak and potato dinners and buffets for lunch and dinner.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
People get large for many reasons. Especially as you age your metabolism will slow down making it harder to lose weight or maintain your current weight.

You are look from the outside saying “not I” but on the inside you may say, “I don’t want to work out”.

GeekyDad

"...For a whiskey to be considered Bourbon, its mash – the mixture of grains from which the product is distilled – must contain at least 51% corn. The rest of the mash is usually filled out with rye or wheat, and malted barley. ..."

Sounds like bread and/or cereal to me. Those two foods can make you fat if you consume too much of them.

Matthew Perry had a drug problem more than an alcohol problem.
To answer your question they get fat on alcohol probably as an alcoholic they went from beer/wine then to spirits but then their body literally cannot handle spirits anymore so they are for forced to then drink weaker % drink but at a bigger volume.

Also as an alcoholic your hormones and sleep are out of whack, zero exercise etc. They will easily drink 3000 + calories a day and not move a lot for years for example. Nothing in their bodies is working correctly.

Source: my best mate died at 38 and was like this.

Perry said that when he was fat on friends it was drinking and when he was thin it was whatever pills he was on. I feel for people batteling these problems. No money in the world will make you happy at this point.

Last edited:

KrakenIPA

To answer your question they get fat on alcohol probably as an alcoholic they went from beer/wine then to spirits but then their body literally cannot handle spirits anymore so they are for forced to then drink weaker % drink but at a bigger volume.

Also as an alcoholic your hormones and sleep are out of whack, zero exercise etc. They will easily drink 3000 + calories a day and not move a lot for years for example. Nothing in their bodies is working correctly.

Source: my best mate died at 38 and was like this.

Perry said that when he was fat on friends it was drinking and when he was thin it was whatever pills he was on. I feel for people batteling these problems. No money in the world will make you happy at this point.
Thanks for sharing, it sounds familiar as a dude that drinks. I practice moderation these days, blessings.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Spirits absolutely have lots of calories, and your body burns those first, so while it’s doing that, any other calories consumed go straight to the hips. Basically if your body is processing calories from alcohol, you’ve shut down its processing of other calories for the duration. This also contributes to insulin resistance, making your body release more to compensate. Insulin promotes fat storage. That’s why low carb diets are effective: fewer carbs = less insulin in the system.

Also, alcohol abuse gives you a puffy face, adding to the appearance of being fat.

It’s a real piece of shit drug. Delicious, fun, and really bad for you

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

In fact you lose a lot coz there's basically no calories in whisky or vodka and you basically don't eat
Science, how does it work?

Next post - losing weight is not about calorie deficiency, it's MUCH MORE COMPLICATED than that.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member

Next post - losing weight is not about calorie deficiency, it's MUCH MORE COMPLICATED than that.
Thanks I didn’t bother looking it up on my phone, but look at how calorically dense straight spirits are. 1.5 oz shot of vodka has nearly as many calories as a light beer. You may as well be drinking from a hummingbird feeder.

My point is that rich chronic alcoholics aren't buying calorie laden cheap booze like beer, they would go for top shelf spirits which are generally the least calorie heavy alcohol

If you're sinking a bottle of Grey Goose every night, you're not putting on weight. You'd be losing it

That's why I'm confused

Last edited:
Thanks I didn’t bother looking it up on my phone, but look at how calorically dense straight spirits are. 1.5 oz shot of vodka has nearly as many calories as a light beer. You may as well be drinking from a hummingbird feeder.

This is completely not true

Oh ok you compared to light beer. Which no one under 70 drinks unless you have to drive

What a useless comparison

Last edited:
You're gonna be drinking stuff that really gets you drunk like spirits, because beer and wine doesn't work anymore, and that does not make you put on weight. In fact you lose a lot coz there's basically no calories in whisky or vodka and you basically don't eat

So how the hell do they get fat? (ie Matthew Perry and Ben Affleck)
There is over 1,500 calories in a fifth of vodka and a fifth of whiskey.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
This is completely not true

Oh ok you compared to light beer. Which no one under 70 drinks unless you have to drive

What a useless comparison
A 750ml bottle of grey goose is probably close to 1,700 calories on its own. You really think adding those calories isn’t going to affect weight? Wowza

How about this comparison: that’s 10 mountain dews

Last edited:
A 750ml bottle of grey goose is probably close to 1,700 calories on its own. You really think adding those calories isn’t going to affect weight? Wowza

How about this comparison: that’s 10 mountain dew

A lot less food is consumed when slamming sprits by the shot

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Vodka has calories. About 2 calories per ml straight up. Not a lot if someone is doing one watered down glass. But if someone is doing lots of them with juice or whatever in it, that glass of spirits will be 100+ each.

A 30ml serving of GREY GOOSE Vodka contains 66 calories.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Alcohol is extremely caloric substance, you get fat insanely quickly while drinking.

I was 136kg/191cm before I needed to underwent liver transplant and at the late stage, I didn't ate anything just drank alcohol.

badblue

Gold Member
My point is that rich chronic alcoholics aren't buying calorie laden cheap booze like beer, they would go for top shelf spirits which are generally the least calorie heavy alcohol

If you're sinking a bottle of Grey Goose every night, you're not putting on weight. You'd be losing it

That's why I'm confused

As Thaedolus Thaedolus said. "A 750ml bottle of grey goose is probably close to 1,700 calories on its own." And you are talking about alcoholics. A functional alcoholic could easily down a bottle of vodka easily a day. So there is 1,700 on top of everything else they consume like breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks and social drinking on top of that.

Humans need on average about 2200 a day and most of us consume more then that.

Wildebeest

There are multiple stages of alcoholism. Malnutrition is a symptom of a real long term problem, where alcohol is maybe the person's only source of calories. It can be called chronic before it gets this bad.

haxan7

Banned
Most of the calories come from the alcohol itself. I have a suspicion that alcohol calories get converted directly to visceral fat more easily than other types of empty calories. It also slows the rate you digest your food so that probably has something to do with it.

Also drinking and a healthy lifestyle don't go together. Slower metabolism + years of sedentary lifestyle + eating restaurant food all the time + alcohol = one fat fuck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom