• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"How to Survive the Bulls of Pamplona" Author Gored by Bulls of Pamplona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
628x471.jpg

Irony:

An American who co-authored the book "Fiesta: How to Survive the Bulls of Pamplona" became one of their victims Wednesday when he was one of two men gored at the festival.

Bill Hillmann, a 32-year-old from Chicago and a longtime participant in the nine-day Pamplona street party, was gored twice in the right thigh during one of the daily bull runs, organizers said on their website.

The injury was serious but not life-threatening, the Navarra regional government said in a statement.

Regularny:

A 35-year-old Spaniard man from Valencia was also in serious condition after being gored in the chest during the same run on the festival's third day, the statement said. He was not named.

Klutzny:

Three other Spaniards who fell during the run were being treated in Pamplona hospitals for their injuries.

:(ny:

Fifteen people have died from gorings since record-keeping began in 1924. Dozens of people are injured each year in the runs, most of them in falls.

The bulls are invariably killed in afternoon bullfights.

More pics and some history at the article. http://www.sfgate.com/news/world/ar...-Spain-s-San-Fermin-5608481.php#photo-6572322

The Sun Also Rises is a good book.

Fari

Anybody who engages in this kind of idiocy doesn't really deserve much sympathy.

Sorry for my running-with-the-bulls-shaming, but that's how I feel.

adj_noun

I don't see this as anything but proof that the book works as advertised. It wasn't called How to Not Get Gored by the Bulls of Pamplona.

I'll take twelve.

Not all gorings are the fault of the gored individual. My dad has been a runner for over a decade, and he always told me that you should be more afraid of the runners around you than the bulls. Runners will routinely try and grab other runners and pull them into bulls or trip them if they get scared. It's not done out of malice, but a kind of primitive "better you than me" attitude can start to occur, and some folks just get scared and grab whatever is near them.

entremet

It's like... why even bother writing an OP?

But they're going to be killed anyway it seems.

The running of the bulls just seems like a bonus. Are they getting killed because of the event or are they're going to be killed because of the sport of bull fighting?

I thought there getting killed by the event itself.

terrisus

An American who co-authored the book "Fiesta: How to Survive the Bulls of Pamplona" became one of their victims Wednesday when he was one of two men gored at the festival.

Bill Hillmann, a 32-year-old from Chicago and a longtime participant in the nine-day Pamplona street party, was gored twice in the right thigh during one of the daily bull runs, organizers said on their website.

The injury was serious but not life-threatening, the Navarra regional government said in a statement.

So he survived then.

Book redeemed!

itxaka

Defeatist

The running of the bulls just seems like a bonus. Are they getting killed because of the event or are they're going to be killed because of the sport of bull fighting?

The running of the bulls is totally linked to the killing.

See, the thing is, the bulls corral is quite far from the actual bullring so they had to be transported there trough the streets. Some of the guys started running on front of them to show their balls. So yes, those bulls are running there because they need to be moved to their killing place for the enjoyment of the people.

And what it started as a stupid bravado thing in a small city party is now a multimillion piece of shit party, where everybody does whatever the fuck they want and get away with it, because the city earns a lot of money from that.

Pissing on the street? Hell yeah. Drunk fights? Looks like fucking Edinburgh. Sexual aggressions? But of course! You name it, you got it.

NateDog

Can't say I feel sorry for him or anyone that participates in this barbaric practice.

This. I think all life is lamentable but considering the completely barbaric and unnecessary cruelty of bullfights and bullruns I have very little sympathy.

Bulls get killed regardless of the outcome more or less and it's for sport. In bullfights if the bull takes out the matador, the bull gets killed. Otherwise, the matador "wins" by killing the bull, often only after it is more or less already on the verge of death from the various knives and other objects that have been inserted into it in order to weaken and anger it. The bulls are normally run before bullfights, the ones that survive are sent into the bullring afterwards for more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom