• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Howard Chaykin's 'Divided States of Hysteria' faces backlash for provocative imagery.

tg3mGTp.jpg

Howard Chaykin said:
"The history of the world, my sweet, is those who get eaten and those who eat." --Stephen Sondheim, Sweeney Todd.

"Left wing faggot!" --Some anonymous troll unhappy with my reboot of Challengers of the Unknown.

I first introduced the book you hold in your hand to a neutral, mostly uninterested audience at the IMAGE EXPO in Seattle, in March of 2016, before the events that define the year in question had occurred. My feeling at that time was that The Divided States of Hysteria was the darkest thing I'd ever produced, a dystopic poison pill bereft of my usual snarky comedy.

Now, for those of you who've forgotten what life in these United States was like back in those dim lost days of early spring 2016, my issues, as the book indicates, include a fear of international and domestic terrorism, and an aversion to identity politics. I still felt that Hillary Clinton had a lock on the Democratic nomination and a pretty good shot at the presidency, and that the Republican nominee would be Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, or heaven forbid, Ted Cruz.

Hey, who knew, right?

So now that liberal-center-left-narcissism, with a healthy does of identity politics, has lost the game to right-wing ignorance and hypocrisy-driven rage, and I find myself anticipating a future spent in a live-action dystopia, the book seems almost naively cheerful and filled with hope. Go figure.

When Thomas K. the man who edits my stuff at IMAGE, first suggested I do this essay, we both anticipated the election of Hillary Clinton, and the near dissolution of the Repubican party. Tonally, he suggested, "Well, here's what you almost voted for..."
Instead, we have cowardice on both sides of the aisle, as Democrats, in what seems to be an all-too-typically vain attempt to defend their position, take an inept pass at being as obstructionist as the other party was in its treatment of the previous office holder; and Republicans, who barely a year ago regarded the man who is now their president as an ignoramus, are bending over and taking it in the ass in the name of shameless, craven, and nihilistic self-seeking and self-interest.

Now Liberals are weeping -- even the ones who didn't bother to vote, or who cast a protest vote -- really? Protest? Fuck that -- while Conservatives gloat, sharpening their knives as they prepare to impose their misbegotten "values" on me and my cohort. So instead of "Trigger warnings," "Cultural appropriation," "Safe spaces," and "Social Justice Warriors," maybe we on the left should have put aside all this balkanizing nonsense and been fucking Americans for fuck's sake, instead of allowing this nihilistic shithead to mainstream and legitimize the racist, sexist, bigoted and flat-out moronic sensibilities that have always been there, but were held in check by a common understanding that one doesn't get away with that shit in the United States of America.

Well, now one does -- and while you were pissing and moaning about hyphenates,they got to own the USA. And for every voter whose candicate won who accuses Hillary Clinton of being a liar, I'd like to meet one honest enough to admit that he's a complete hypocrite who voted for a liar anyway -- just the one who told him exactly what he wanted to hear. I'm not holding my breath.

So it's all too clear that H.G. Wells got it right. The Time Machine. Eloi and Morlock. One is eaten, the other eats. Look it up -- it depresses me too much that neither side of this divide has any clue of what I type to bother explaining. Ignorance and stupidity got us here -- and we get the government we deserve.

So maybe The Divided States of Hysteria isn't quite as dark as the world abyss into which we stare... isn't that a pisser?

Best of luck, thanks, and to end with another quote from Stephen Sondheim,

"...I'm still here!"

Follies.

Howard Victor Chaykin
--a prince.

For those who don't know, Howard Chaykin is a veteran comic book writer and illustrator, an industry legend with a career beginning in the late 1960s working alongside another industry legend, Gil Kane. He's worked for both Marvel and DC, on series like Star Wars, Batman, Conan the Barbarian, Challengers of the Unknown, Wolverine, Punisher and Blade. He's collaborated with others on a number of indie comics over the years, covering a wide range of subjects from war stories to the golden age of television (Satellite Sam by Chaykin and Matt Fraction is a personal fave).

Chaykin is also no stranger to courting controversy, infusing politics and sexuality into his independent efforts. His most famous work, American Flagg!, is a future dystopian cautionary tale about a TV star -turned lawman fighting corruption in a USA controlled by a greedy corporation. His most infamous work (until now, perhaps?) is (or was?) the erotic noir thriller Black Kiss, a story about transsexual vampires in the seedy underbelly of Hollywood. Despite (or, because of) its graphic depictions of violence, nudity and sexual activities, virtually unheard of for a comic published in the 1980s, Kiss gained a cult following through its notoriety, prompting Chaykin to once remark that it was his most profitable endeavor by far.

Last month, the first issue of a new series by Chaykin was published at Image: The Divided States of Hysteria. It tells the story of an America on the brink of tipping into chaos, following the assassination of the President in an attempted coup, resulting in a heightened state of fear and a liberal conspiracy theorist's nightmare: an America under constant surveillance, drones filling the sky, communications being monitored, everyone being watched in anticipation of the next strike. As you can probably imagine from the header, it doesn't get any better as the first issue ends with
a successful suicide bombing being carried out in New York City.

Related: Tripwire Magazine's interview with Howard Chaykin on Divided States

The rest of the first issue spends its pages introducing us to the cast of characters Chaykin has assembled. First up is Frank Villa, the CIA agent whose job is to prevent another terrorist attack from happening. If you're familiar with the works of Chaykin, he'll look familiar; he's the flawed, authority-figure, cog-in-the-machine fuckup who looks like so many of Chaykin's other protagonists. Then there are the others, those four "serial murderers" Agent Villa will end up recruiting.

One is Henry John Noone, an apparent take on the real-life "D.C. Sniper" John Allen Muhammad, whose shooting spree specifically targeting white people resulted in nine deaths (ten counting his partner, gunned down by police) before he was captured. His biggest regret? Not killing at least a dozen.

Then there's Paul Evan Berg, a Jewish man of genius intellect whose get-rich-quick scheme involved electronically stealing millions from unsuspecting rich people attending his fake investment meeting, then poisoning them before making his (unsuccessful) getaway. Berg showed no remorse for his victims, even going so far as to sleep with one knowing she had been poisoned.

Cesare "Little Caesar" John Nacamulli is a serial killer who learned from the mistakes of his "role models" and varied the methods of his killing to avoid capture. Unfortunately for Cesare, he trusted the wrong people with his secret ("no honor among thieves," the saying goes) and one day found the NYPD waiting on his doorstep.

The fourth member of this little cadre of killers, though... that's the one where people feel that Chaykin went too far. That's the one that sparked a controversy.

Christopher Michael Silver was a prostitute working the Vegas Strip, until one night when a group of three hired her for the evening. Back at the hotel, one of the men gets ahead of himself and that's when they all discover that Chris has a penis. They begin to attack her, beating her, and that's when Chris reaches for her handbag, pulls out a handgun, and shoots down her attackers. Police bust in, find Chris on the bed surrounded by bodies, and charge her with multiple homicides.

Y3o7CdI.jpg

The scene of Chris's attack is, as you might imagine, brutal. It's a moment of transphobic violence ending in murder, that could have gone the other way. It is also worth noting that as with the other members of the group, the account is told to us by Chris herself, in her own words; there is the suggestion, therefore, of the "unreliable narrator" element at work in her version of events (specifically, that her victims held prior knowledge of her physical attributes).

Also as you can imagine, this scene in particular, out of the entire first issue, sparked an immediate outcry magnified by social media. Critics blasted Chaykin for depicting violence against transgender people, and Image for publishing the offending material during LGBTQ Pride Month, while others came to Chaykin's defense as a liberal artist exercising his right to free speech, in telling a controversial and topical story that pulls no punches. Perhaps because of this controversy the first issue of Divided States quickly sold out, prompting Image to announce publication of a second printing.

The heat had only slightly cooled off when late last week, Image released the solicitation text and cover artwork for Divided States of America #4, prompting more and perhaps even greater backlash and criticism of Chaykin and Image.

I won't post the cover artwork here. If you want, you can find it easily. The cover depicts a graphic scene of racial violence:
a brown-skinned man hangs from a noose, tied to the door of a restaurant on a city street at night. The man's pants are around his ankles, and from the amount of blood on his thighs and crotch one can assume his genitalia has been severed or mutilated. The slur "PAKI" is written on the badge on his shirt.

It's a graphic depiction of racial violence. Seeing it for the first time, I was reminded of an earlier Image Comics cover, for Spawn #30, in which the main character (a black man beneath the mask) hangs from a noose with a bullet through his forehead. The outcry over Divided's fourth issue cover was even more pointed, with renewed attacks towards Chaykin and calls for Image to censor or cease publication of the series, prompting others to again defend Chaykin's rights of expression and decry calls for censorship.

In the wake of this latest controversy, Image Comics has today responded to the backlash with a statement of apology and the decision to pull the offending cover from the issue. In its place, the cover for the sixth issue has been substituted.

EDIT:
Spike Spiegel said:
Howard Chaykin has responded to the uproar over Divided States and the pulled cover via an interview with FreakSugar editor Steve Ekstrom.

Link: http://www.freaksugar.com/chaykin-responds/

Bakercat

I've never read any of this dude's work or comics in general, but what I see is a guy trying to tackle tough issues going on in America. He's not doing it to be like, "look at that tranny get beat haha" but more of a character that's dealing with the difficulties in life due to not being part of the social norm. This isn't anything new, people have done this many times over through history to make a point that shit needs to change. Of course, some people can't comprehend complex thoughts and ideas and just want a simple understanding of what they see.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So instead of "Trigger warnings," "Cultural appropriation," "Safe spaces," and "Social Justice Warriors," maybe we on the left should have put aside all this balkanizing nonsense and been fucking Americans for fuck's sake, instead of allowing this nihilistic shithead to mainstream and legitimize the racist, sexist, bigoted and flat-out moronic sensibilites that have always been there, but were held in check by a common understanding that one doesn't get away with that shit in the United States of America.

Well this is illuminating

Instead, we have cowardice on both sides of the aisle, as Democrats, in what seems to be an all-too-typically vain attempt to defend their position, take an inept pass at being as obstructionist as the other party was in its treatment of the previous office holder; and Republicans, who barely a year ago regarded the man who is now their president as an ignoramus, are bending over and taking it in the ass in the name of shameless, craven, and nihilistic self-seeking and self-interest.

Now Liberals are weeping -- even the ones who didn't bother to vote, or who cast a protest vote -- really? Protest? Fuck that -- while Conservatives gloat, sharpening their knives as they prepare to impose their misbegotten "values" on me and my cohort.

I can't say he's wrong about this part

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Seems insanely tough to straddle that line of provocateur without stepping into exploitation. But I'm into it. It feels like a lot of media that tries to be biting in this regard has pulled punches as to not be controversial. I appreciate the measured responses but I feel this has its place also.

ThisGuy

An edge that bleeds for attention.

I would want to read the work before judging by it's cover. I cannot say I would be optimistic.

Aizo

Banned
I don't know that this is the correct path to change. I wouldn't be surprised if there are many readers reading it for reasons opposed to Chaykin's intentions. Also, I don't have much faith that an old white man with a history of transphobia is going to tackle this concept correctly.

When has Howard Chaykin not been provacative?
For real. He's always been doing stuff like this.
The difference between then and now is the internet. Where once critics might sit down to write or type up a strongly-worded letter to the editor expressing displeasure that barring publication in a letters column no one sees, today's critics fire off a 140-character condemnation for everyone to like or retweet and then it's pile on, pile on until things get personal and something gives.

Kin5290

Depiction does not equal endorsement.

Why are depictions of violence against marginalized minorities as horrific not okay, but that drone + bald eagle cover okay?

jph139

This is a tough one but, at the end of the day, I do think this sort of stuff has merit. Does it contribute to the prevailing image of various minorities (trans folk and South Asians, in this case) as the perpetual victim? Definitely. And I think we should be mindful of the fact that negative representation does have an impact on readers - if transwomen are eternally portrayed as victims of violence, it absolutely normalizes that violence.

But he's not inciting anything. He's not publishing hate speech. He's creating a work of art that is probably, at best, tasteless. At the end of the day, I defend the right to make tasteless art.

It's obviously up to Image whether they, as a company, want to associate with it, though.

So stories like these are not allowed to be depicted unless ....what?
We've had several people in ComicGAF read or review the issues that have come out. It's just a bad book with bad shocking moments and he can't tell this kind of story.

#1 is still the worst first issue of the year thus far.

We've had several people in ComicGAF read or review the issues that have come out. It's just a bad book with bad shocking moments and he can't tell this kind of story.

#1 is still the worst first issue of the year thus far.
ONE issue has come out, and it's a prologue to the actual story.

Chaykin was basically Millar's template. Both saw comics as a stepping stone to Hollywood. The difference is Millar is both brighter and more successful. Chaykin is and has always been an angry dude who saw comics as the fallback to his expected Hollywood career that never came.

I read the first issue. It's not very well written and the art is Chaykin at his worst.
The last part I'll agree with. His linework is a far cry from his early days, and even the recent Satellite Sam, and the digital overlays and coloring were extremely distracting.

besada

Banned
Guy sounds like a "woke" Mark Millar
Chaykin was basically Millar's template. Both saw comics as a stepping stone to Hollywood. The difference is Millar is both brighter and more successful. Chaykin is and has always been an angry dude who saw comics as the fallback to his expected Hollywood career that never came.

I read the first issue. It's not very well written and the art is Chaykin at his worst.

Slayven

I would be mad too if was a second rate Millar, who is just Garth Ennis without the self awareness who is just Grant Morrison who doesn't take his bullshit seriously

As much as i shit on Millar, i don't think he is malicious. In need of therapy, but not malicious. But reading this dude's statement trips my asshole detector.

Exis

I am a fan of Chaykin, read most of his stuff and am picking this up in issues rather than collections due to the controversy. I can't see him as a bigot but more of a punk you in the teeth liberal, and I want to have controversy in comics. Hell I wish Joe Casey would take more risks although those books never seem to sell.

Although after this thread, second tier woke Mark Millar is pretty accurate.

wandering

Banned
I've never read any of this dude's work or comics in general, but what I see is a guy trying to tackle tough issues going on in America. He's not doing it to be like, "look at that tranny get beat haha" but more of a character that's dealing with the difficulties in life due to not being part of the social norm. This isn't anything new, people have done this many times over through history to make a point that shit needs to change. Of course, some people can't comprehend complex thoughts and ideas and just want a simple understanding of what they see.

If you haven't read it even then maybe you should back off a little on denouncing critiques of it

Buckle

I have a hard time respecting the words of a man who throws around safe spaces, social justice warrior, identity politics and trigger warning mockingly like Chaykin has.

He comes across as bitter and obnoxious.

I like Chaykin. I literally have signed art of his on my desk next to my laptop. He's always been angry and edgy. I'm glad to hear he's anti-Trump and anti-GOP.

soco

This guy sounds like a asshole just attempting to poke at random things for controversy attention.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I have a hard time respecting the words of a man who throws around safe spaces, social justice warrior, identity politics and trigger warning mockingly like Chaykin has.

He comes across as bitter and obnoxious.

"Democrats lost because they were too into identity politics, and that sucks because now we have a racist sexist President!"

Like what the fuck is this dude even taking about

I've never read his most celebrated works but his artwork on Blade a few years ago was so damn bad that I've been avoiding his stuff ever since.

Stronty

No mention of Chaykin's work on the 1990 Flash TV series. The planned season 2 was ambitious. Too bad the Flash went up against the Cosby show and The Simpsons.

Top Bottom