• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyperion is the greatest sci fi novel ever

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
Hyperion_cover.jpg

masterful work, best sci fi novel i have ever read, might rate it above Dune

Tesseract

Banned
it's damn good

played through the audiobook a couple times, forget the narrator's name but it the same fellow who spoke through i am legend

Ballthyrm

It's really good, i wouldn't put it above the 3 Body Problem or Foundation.
My favorite Sci-Fi of the last decade would go to anything Ted Chiang has written.

That man is a master. Old school sci-Fi were the Ideas are vast and the implications are not ignored.

A good science fiction story should be able to predict not the automobile but the traffic jam

I don't think Hyperion qualify in that category for me. Even if it is a great book.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

it’s part of a 4 book series, right? Hyperion is awesome - how do the others stack up?
The first 2 books are great. After that.... things start to get increasingly convuluted and messed up. Time travel paradox and parallel dimensions style of messed up (I mean much much more than the 1st 2 books).
I read almost the whole 3rd book before I gave up and googled the rest of the story, because it was starting to stretch too much into crazy (if you consider what happens in the 1st 2 books as "normal").

McHuj

I only read the first book. I really like the Canterbury Tales style of the story telling in the book. But from what I remember, it ended on a cliff hanger that pissed me off and I didn't bother to finish the series.

Any other books that are similar to this? I'm not necessarily looking for hard sci-fi, more of a creepy sci-fi that this booked seemed to have.

Bolivar687

Banned
It's certainly up there. It's maybe the most "literary" of the sci fi classics I've read. The first two are so good that I can't bring myself to check out Endymion, because it was such an incredible complete story.

I know Dan Simmons has questionable politics but there is no denying the man is a masterful writer

I don't know if I would say questionable, he's just another red-pilled leftist. His 2012 diatribe on Obama was pretty prophetic of the Obama-Trump vote in 2016. Unfortunately it looks like its no longer available, as his official website says "Account Suspended."

Space Pope is best Pope

Speaking of which, Canticle for Leibowitz is up there for me, even if its more firmly in the post-apocalyptic subgenre.

teezzy

Banned
Never read Hyperion or Dune yet, but I'm partial to Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles. At just under 200 pages, the book is a brisk read, but for a collection of short stories it truly feels like a comprehensive work. The book is comprised of various short stories, all of which all take place on Mars, involving the Martian civilians' daily lives, and their interactions with the Earthlings who repeatedly seek to make contact with them. Due to being comprised of multiple stories, the narrative is constantly changing perspective, and has this very 'slice of life' vibe to it. One of the first novels I read as a kid, and I hold a lot of reverence for it as a result.

91l3myG1aeL.jpg

Top Bottom