• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't know what i want...need advice.

Orpheum

Hi Gaf, this is my first thread, really excited how this will play out. This is job related.

First things first a little bit of a backstory.

I've been working in science for about 5 years now (3 years of training included). My first job was awful, i didn't get along with my coworkers and my Boss really didn't like me as well. I blame most of this on myself, granted i didn't even like the job and my overall work ethic was beyond despicable. I worked there for 2 years before i decided it was time for a change, i quit and decided to go back to University to become a highschool teacher. I quit that after a couple of months because sitting in an audience room and listening to a Professor talk for hours upon hours on in certainly does not fit me...also the thought of having to sit through this for another 4 and a half years was enough to make me say "no thanks". I'm more the type of person who wants to DO something and learn about it by doing it.

The job hunt didn't take long, i knew where i would want to work, Biochemistry was part of my training for half a year so i went for it even with little to no experience. The job i landed is where i'm working now. After applying it took a little more than a week until i was hired it went that freaking fast. And everything (albeit some annoying nuances) has been great ever since. I was integrated into the group extremely fast, my coworkers are exceptionally cool people and after a small learning period i'm allowed to manage my assigned projects myself. the trust by our boss is that high. The job itself is interesting and mostly free of routine, it's challenging and i love it, frustration is a part of it too, but i can deal with that. Aside from some small disputes with my boss (seriously who has not had the at some point) and below average payment (i'm not poor or anything, i can afford my own place and have more than enough money to spend in my freetime) everything is great.

So what's the problem you might ask..it's pretty dumb and has mostly to do with me being scared of any big decisions regarding my future and my career.

Right now my contract is limited to 2 years, which means january 2018, the chance to get a permanent contract exists and my boss has the strong desire to keep me in the team. Although this decision isn't up to her but upper management. Ever since the Boss of another group died earlier this year, the chances of me getting a permanent contract dropped significantly since people who are permanently employed in-house have the right to get a job here before people on a temporary. They won't fire me but chances are i need to leave january first 2018. Of course i panicked and started applying elsewhere already...the job market can be cruel and i wanted to be safe.

Nobody here knows that i already applied, keep in mind that the plans for this year regarding projects are already set in stone (we will even run an advanced Protein purification techniques course for other people and my assistance is needed). I wrote in my applications that i can start in january 2018 and for most companies this was understandably a little too late.

However one company contacted me just a week after i applied to them, they have just exited their start-up phase due to them finishing some great projects and they want to expand. They said they need someone with my skillset to optimize and develop new methods for their pipeline. The job description is great, i would do generally the same as before but at the same time learn new methods and expanding my own skillset even more. So after a short phone interview, they wanted to meet me in person. I took a day off and did the job interview, didn't really expect much...and holy fuck...I would absolutely love to work there. The people are amazing, the boss chill as hell and what they are offering me payment and responsibility wise is completely insane. If i did the job as they expected from me, i would be getting a position as associate scientist which would mean even more money and project lead responsibilities.

So here's my dilemma...

They want me to start October 1st...the latest, they need me now but are willing to wait that long, i can understand that it's pretty urgent and if i quit now, i have a 3 month period until i'm out of my current contract.
This means however, i have to pretty much "abandon" my current colleagues, they would sit on a pile of work that i will leave behind. The course is already planned and i assured my assistance in november. This doesn't seem right to me and thinking about it makes me sick. Of course you should be a little self centered and think about what's best for yourself but it just does not seem right if i do this.

...a minor inconvenience is, that i wanted to visit a friend in Copenhagen in October so that would be off the table as well. He would understand it though...

So yeah...what does GAF think about a situation like this? how would you decide?
whatever the advice might be, it's highly appreciated.

Have a nice day y'all

Enjoy the new job. Never forget that if any employer needed to save money they wouldn't think twice about cutting you out, look after yourself first.

If the new job is better, don't hold loyalty to the old one. Just explain the situation to your coworkers and move on. They'll get over it.

If you're really conflicted about leaving your current job, tell your employer about the offer, see what they can do to match it / improve your current situation.

But at the end of the day, you need to think about yourself first.

hobozero

Looking out for yourself is not self-centered. You are the only person who will ever look out for you. Take the jorb.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
6GROm.gif

If they give you a raise over the current job then its a non brainer, you don't even have to type the first 60% of the post. It's a capitalist system.

Zakalwe

Banned
If you are a contractor you'd be wise not to burn bridges so early in your career.

OP would also be wise to look after him/herself.

This can be done without burning bridges if handled well. OP is the most important person in this situation if their future at the current place is not secure.

Orpheum

If you are a contractor you'd be wise not to burn bridges so early in your career.

The contractor thing is more like a longer "prove yourself period" before you get the permanent contract, it hasn't got that much meaning to it in my country/field. Also my current colleagues would never go out to destroy someones reputation willingly. They had some terrible experiences before i joined them and these people still found jobs elsewhere.

I see your point though

Orpheum

OP would also be wise to look after him/herself.

This can be done without burning bridges if handled well. OP is the most important person in this situation if their future at the current place is not secure.

Talking to my boss in a mature way about it should be enough to handle it well i think. The issue is that my boss is on vacation and the company needs an answer really soon :(

The contractor thing is more like a longer "prove yourself period" before you get the permanent contract, it hasn't got that much meaning to it in my country/field. Also my current colleagues would never go out to destroy someones reputation willingly. They had some terrible experiences before i joined them and these people still found jobs elsewhere.

I see your point though

If you aren't looking to be a contractor/work for yourself your risk is much less by quitting ahead of the end of your contract. However, I would explain the situation to your colleagues before going through with it if you choose to quit.

t26

Talking to my boss in a mature way about it should be enough to handle it well i think. The issue is that my boss is on vacation and the company needs an answer really soon :(
Talk to your boss's boss or whoever is filling in.

Does your boss have a way to connect, even when on vacation? If so, give her the courtesy of calling and discussing.

If you can't get a hold of her, and don't feel comfortable discussing with the delegate in her stead, ask the new company for time to put in notice. It is the professional thing to notify your boss. If they need you that badly and are waiting until October 1 anyway, what's a week (unless your boss is gone for a month or something...)?

But if you are 100% set on leaving because the opportunity is so great, you are allowed to simply put in your two weeks to your company's HR team and be done with it.

Zakalwe

Banned

Speak with the person left in charge. If you can contact your boss then do so out of courtesy to explain things. If not then deal with the person you have there but perhaps send a courtesy email for her to read when she can. you can always speak with her when she returns after you've made your call, that could go a long way to helping her understand if there is any residual concern or resentment.

Remember though, this is about you first and foremost. As long as you handle it maturely and present yourself well there's a good chance you won't burn any bridges. People are usually very understanding in these instances in my experience.

Orpheum

Does your boss have a way to connect, even when on vacation? If so, give her the courtesy of calling and discussing.

If you can't get a hold of her, and don't feel comfortable discussing with the delegate in her stead, ask the new company for time to put in notice. It is the professional thing to notify your boss. If they need you that badly and are waiting until October 1 anyway, what's a week (unless your boss is gone for a month or something...)?

But if you are 100% set on leaving because the opportunity is so great, you are allowed to simply put in your two weeks to your company's HR team and be done with it.

Unfortunately not. She's gone for one more week and informed us that she's not available during that time period. And yes since i have never talked her Boss i don't feel comfortable discussing it with him. I wrote an email explaining the Situation to the new company....really interested to see what they have to say

Speak with the person left in charge. If you can contact your boss then do so out of courtesy to explain things. If not then deal with the person you have there but perhaps send a courtesy email for her to read when she can. you can always speak with her when she returns after you've made your call, that could go a long way to helping her understand if there is any residual concern or resentment.

Remember though, this is about you first and foremost. As long as you handle it maturely and present yourself well there's a good chance you won't burn any bridges. People are usually very understanding in these instances in my experience.

I really hope so. I try to handle it well to the best of my abilites. Good to hear from you though, thanks.

dl77

If I were in your shoes I'd send your notice to your boss but also to your HR department in their absence.

Even if you want this new job at this point in your life you're not actually forced to take it even if you've said yes. We've had a number of big hires at my place of work where everything's been done and they've pulled out just before their start date (literally the day before in one case!).

If your employer then offers to change your terms and conditions to something you feel like it would make sense to stay then just tell the other party that you've changed your mind and thank them for the offer. If they don't then at least you know where you stand.

Kyuur

Don't forego a good opportunity on the off chance that they might make you permanent OP. I played that game for several years where -- as with you, upper management (who doesn't know or care about you) was the one holding the cards, and nothing ever became of it. Now I have to play catch up with something I could have started two years ago.

Orpheum

If I were in your shoes I'd send your notice to your boss but also to your HR department in their absence.

Even if you want this new job at this point in your life you're not actually forced to take it even if you've said yes. We've had a number of big hires at my place of work where everything's been done and they've pulled out just before their start date (literally the day before in one case!).

If your employer then offers to change your terms and conditions to something you feel like it would make sense to stay then just tell the other party that you've changed your mind and thank them for the offer. If they don't then at least you know where you stand.

Absolutely. It's just that i feel like when i accept, there's at least some sort of obligation that i stay with my decision

Orpheum

Don't forego a good opportunity on the off chance that they might make you permanent OP. I played that game for several years where -- as with you, upper management (who doesn't know or care about you) was the one holding the cards, and nothing ever became of it. Now I have to play catch up with something I could have started two years ago.

sorry to hear that man. In my case it's either i get the permanent contract or not. if not, i'm out^^ easy as that.
The new job is permanent from the get go which is pretty nice

kirblar

You have to take the new posiiton.

You don't make big gains being promoted in the same company, you get them by jobhopping.

Top Bottom