• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I wish Xbox and PlayStation had an off screen mode like wii u and not just 'remote play'

cormack12

Gold Member
Also why do the official remote play apps both suck? Xbxplay and PSplay offer much better quality and consistency for me. I have true WiFi 6, PS5 hardwired etc. Have had a number of different devices, locations and its still not great. The unofficial apps are at least 70% better though in stability.

I really wish they had something that was as excellent as the wii u gamepad. I believe this was a custom protocol engineered with Broadcom. But point to point high bandwidth should be achievable right? With fallback for cloud streaming, over-internet console play etc.

I know PSLink sort of exists for the audio equipment, so why not do something with video too?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I may be misremembering but didn't the Vita have a direct connection to the PS4 where you could use the Vita as essentially a WiiU style game pad*

* as opposed to the way Portal does it with it running over the internet.

vivftp

As someone who played over 2 hours of Destiny 2 PvP and PvE with friends last night on his Portal, I can say that remote play is a damn fine solution. I was able to do that from 2 floors up from my PS5 and router, in the comfort of my bed.

Oh it's always possible that Sony might put in dedicated hardware for direct connection with the PS6. I can see that being a scenario that allows the next Portal to connect direct, but also to allow a PSVR3 to connect wirelessly to stream audio and video.

Is that dedicated hardware needed right now? Not necessarily for most folks. Remote play does a remarkably good job of catering to the crowd who wants to play on a secondary screen. If they can find multiple reasons to include it in the PS6 (as noted above) then they might find it to be worthwhile to spend the extra money to put in the added hardware.

sn0man

How does the Portal compare to these smartphone streaming solutions on the video and responsiveness front? I was thinking about buying a controller dock for my iPhone and trying some gaming that way.

Ar¢tos

I may be misremembering but didn't the Vita have a direct connection to the PS4 where you could use the Vita as essentially a WiiU style game pad*

* as opposed to the way Portal does it with it running over the internet.
It was only for some of the Playlink games, but you could also use a phone or a tablet.

DaGwaphics

The Xbox app can stream from series consoles perfectly for me, maybe this is more router dependent than anything else. Now the X1 streaming was quite poor, I'll give you that.

midnightAI

You know what I mean, portal does not make a direct connection with the ps5, it still needs to connect over the wi-fi.
Thats better, there is a big difference between local WiFi and going through external servers (ie,the internet)

It makes an extra hop via your router. But one thing people seen to forget is that even with a direct connection, it will still have more latency than the Wiiu.

I think these features will be much more of a focus, and less of an afterthought going forward.

Totally agree with the OP - they need to be offscreen. I realise it’s my fault for a slightly unoptimised setup, many times I’ll fire up remote play on my Steam Deck and the sound starts blasting through my soundbar for some reason, even though the screen is off. Happens more with the Xbox, but that’s because we use the Xbox more and it’s still set on that input…

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Thats better, there is a big difference between local WiFi and going through external servers (ie,the internet)

Wait. I thought Portal runs on existing Remote Play protocols, which means it's essentially connecting over the internet. Not over local wifi ?

Can PlayStation Portal™ Remote Player only be played on my home Wi-Fi network?
While your home Wi-Fi network represents a great option to use PlayStation Portal™ Remote Player because you have control over the quality of your own home Wi-Fi, it is not required. PlayStation Portal™ Remote Player can also be played wherever you have access to broadband internet Wi-Fi with at least 5Mbps for use1. For a better play experience, a high-speed connection of at least 15Mbps is recommended. If you are using public Wi-Fi, be aware that the quality of the internet connection may be out of your control, and could impact the quality of your play experience.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Wait. I thought Portal runs on existing Remote Play protocols, which means it's essentially connecting over the internet. Not over local wifi ?
I havent tested it myself but I would have thought that other than authentication then its just direct connection over wifi, I could be wrong of course.

In the post you have:
While your home Wi-Fi network represents a great option to use PlayStation Portal™ Remote Player because you have control over the quality of your own home Wi-Fi, it is not required. PlayStation Portal™ Remote Player can also be played wherever you have access to broadband internet Wi-Fi with at least 5Mbps for use1. For a better play experience, a high-speed connection of at least 15Mbps is recommended. If you are using public Wi-Fi, be aware that the quality of the internet connection may be out of your control, and could impact the quality of your play experience.

I mean, that's how I read it, its saying your home wifi isnt required but internet is required if not at home (obviously)

Its bad wording either way really.

I'll do some testing when I get chance

Top Bottom