• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN - Alien: Isolation Terrifying Introduction to the Perfect Predator

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Watch our Alien Isolation Art of the Level video on Alien Day 2023! Few video games capture the essence of their inspiration quite like Alien: Isolation. But it’s the ground-breaking use of the xenomorph that makes the 2014 survival horror game such a triumph; this perfect organism is an engine for fear.

The game's fifth mission, The Quarantine, marks the Alien Isolation xenomorph first encounter, in which it actively hunts you through Sevastopol Station. To find out how it was made, we spoke to level designer Catherine Woolley and lead artist Jude Bond about how Creative Assembly brought together astonishing Alien Isolation AI, clever looping Alien Isolation level design, and cutting edge lighting to inject pure terror into your first Alien Isolation alien encounter.

• 🎮 Alien: Isolation captures the essence of the movie perfectly, with incredible attention to detail.
  • 🎥 The quarantine mission marks the first moment in which the xenomorph actively hunts the player, and it is programmed with advanced AI that allows it to explore environments of its own volition and learn from the player's tactics.
  • 🌃 The lighting and emergency alarm sequence in the quarantine mission are designed to disorient the player and heighten tension, and the station's architecture draws heavily on the retrofuturistic style of the original movie.
  • 🔍 The quarantine mission is designed as a showcase for the alien's capabilities and an introduction to the mechanics players can use to evade it. The level layout is influenced by the fact that it's for an alien encounter, and it serves as a practical examination that tests the player's ability to survive
  • 💳 Morley's key card: The level designer placed key cards in locations where players could potentially find secure locations and lines of sight to avoid being attacked by the alien.
  • 🧠 Adaptive intelligence: The success of Alien: Isolation hinges on the fact that the alien can't reliably defeat the player every time. The player must survive to complete the game and experience the horror of Ellen Ripley in the original film.
  • 💡 Survival tools: The game's save points, distraction tools, sight lines, and lighting in the quarantine all combine to help the player survive the terrifying ordeal.
  • 🎮 Introduction to a terrifying Hunter: Alien: Isolation's opening level provides an unforgettable introduction to one of gaming's most terrifying hunters.

The Making of Alien Isolation: Crafting a Terrifying Survival Horror Game​

Alien Isolation is a popular survival horror game developed by Creative Assembly that captures the essence of the original Alien film. The game is famous for its heart-pounding gameplay and immersive environment that keeps players on the edge of their seats. In this article, we will take a closer look at the game's design principles and examine how the developers created a believable and terrifying encounter with the iconic xenomorph.

The Art of the Level​

To recreate the terror experience of Ellen Ripley in the original film, Creative Assembly relied on authentic visuals, sound effects, advanced artificial intelligence, clever looping level design, and cutting-edge lighting. The game's fifth mission, called "Quarantine," marks the first moment in which the xenomorph actively hunts the protagonist, Amanda Ripley, through Sevastopol station. Armed with little more than the iconic motion tracker, players must evade and escape this terrifying predator.

Jude Bond, the lead artist on Alien Isolation, explained the goals for the initial introduction to the game's core concept. "This was the first encounter where we took the brakes off, the first real encounter if you like. The creature was fully off the leash. Amanda had the motion tracker and a job to do; she was on safari with the alien, except for a deadly game of hide and seek."

Crafting the Xenomorph​

To create a believable, relentless predator, Creative Assembly programmed the xenomorph with advanced AI that allows it to explore environments of its own volition and hunt the player down through sight and sound. It can even learn the player's survival tactics and adapt to outsmart them.

An insane amount of work went into shaping the creature, from the development of its physiology through to modeling, animation, VFX, and behavioral systems scripting. The xenomorph's structural perfectionism is, to quote Ash from the original film, "perfect."

Designing the Medical Facility​

The quarantine's medical facility was based on the movie set sick bay in which Kane was treated following his encounter with a Facehugger. The entire Sevastopol station draws heavily on the retrofuturistic style of Alien, and its architecture is directly informed by the design of the Nostromo freighter ship.

By deconstructing the original film frame by frame, Creative Assembly was able to reverse engineer the design language and achieve practical sense on a movie set. This provided a solid foundation to build the Sevastopol station, using the DNA of the Nostromo to inform a huge amount and variety of content.

Creating an Interactive Real Environment​

One of the game's core design principles was to create an interactive real environment. This meant that players would not be given explicit instructions on where to go or what to do but would instead have to rely on exploration and observation to progress through the game. To this end, the game's developers created a hospital setting that was designed to feel like a hospital rather than function as one. The San Cristobal medical facility was filled with signage and other environmental clues that players could use to navigate through the level.

The Importance of Cover and Obstacles​

In addition to providing players with navigational cues, the environment of Alien Isolation was designed to provide players with ample cover and obstacles to hide behind. The game's levels were filled with gurney beds, cabinets, and other objects that players could use to evade the game's antagonist, the xenomorph. These objects were strategically placed throughout the game's levels to create a sense of tension and fear and to encourage players to keep moving forward.

Playing with Perception​

The architecture of the game's levels was designed to play with players' perceptions of space and create a sense of confinement Throughout the game, the player encounters levels that are deliberately designed to distort their perception of space and create a feeling of confinement. These levels feature complex and winding passageways, disorienting camera angles, and shifting environments that keep the player constantly on edge. However, the game's designers have also incorporated elements of surprise and discovery into these levels, encouraging players to explore and experiment with different paths and strategies. Ultimately, the goal of this approach is to create a more engaging and immersive gameplay experience that challenges players both mentally and physically.

Never forget:

Last edited:

Sephimoth

Will never understand that review, Ryan McCaffrey always seems like someone with logical takes usually. At least from listening to Unlocked sporadically over the years

Just give CA the Jurrasic Park(one) license. I wanna shit my pants while being hunted by a pack of viloceraptors.
do it jewish GIF

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
IGN and Gamespot are the top dogs for the masses and they both railed the game, potentially (actually they did) harmed sales, and thus pretty much killed the franchise potential the game had.

An expertly made, and terrifying experience that captures the tone and atmosphere of Ridley Scott's masterpiece.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Alien is not scary. It is a well know Monster and hiding under table is just tedious

Last edited:

kunonabi

Eh, I thought the game was awful too. Gorgeous but bloated, repetitive, and just plain boring to actually play.

i'm firmly in the 'wow! really, really loved this game!... until it fucking kept going on & on & on, & i finally just bailed' club...

SCB3

Alien Isolation is the maybe one game I've played that genually scared me enough to stop playing, then once I got used to it, my god is the game far too long, fantastic but needed trimming down, I'd love to play this in VR and obviously a sequel is warranted

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I weep that they all but abandoned one of the best horror games and there is no next current-gen updates or PSVR2.

There is an Alien game being built for PC/PSVR2 on UE5, however.

Ulysses 31

Eh, middle part was too padded out with the droids and it becomes too obvious the Alien has some sort of hidden leash tied too you.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
This game only horror element was annoying the fuck out of me.. taco bell night had more exciting scare moments in the bathroom than this game.

makaveli60

Back when reviewers could still influence a game's public reception... I think Doom 2016 was the final nail in the coffin. IGN gave that one a 7.1 lol. The audience fully pivoted to social media influencers.
And don’t forget the Polygon gameplay. Game “journalists”...

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
When I tries playing this game I made it to the part with Axel and the guy just glitches out and freezes and I can't get furthers in my game. It's crud.

horrified-chris.gif

batman-michael-keaton.gif

Games like Calisto Protocol get no support from media today either.

Alien Isolation 11/10! I have like 5 copies of it lol (ps3, ps4, xbox, switch, pc). Wish they'd do a current gen version
It's because general game critics can't handle shorter, more linear games that have simpler gameplay.

Callisto is sick as shit. So was Alien.

The Order 1886 suffered from this. I though it was incrdible. Paid full price for it and have beat it at least 5 times. People don't know how to get their money's worth out of things.

It's the same thought of not watching the same movie multiple times. I'll never understand that way of thinking.

MiguelItUp

Oh, you don’t say? After your shitty review that helped this gem lose a lot of sales.
My exact reaction. Funny how they did that, and now they're doing stuff like this. Fuck them.

As much as folks don't want to admit it, IGN has pull. They had even more pull back in the day. So if they said a game sucked, a ton of people would believe it.

I don't want to think that they're a reason it didn't sell better, but they very well could be one of them. I'm always gonna want 2, and the worst part is knowing we'll never get it.

makaveli60

My exact reaction. Funny how they did that, and now they're doing stuff like this. Fuck them.

As much as folks don't want to admit it, IGN has pull. They had even more pull back in the day. So if they said a game sucked, a ton of people would believe it.

I don't want to think that they're a reason it didn't sell better, but they very well could be one of them. I'm always gonna want 2, and the worst part is knowing we'll never get it.
I’m sure they feel remorse now. And they surely know that many people are angry at them because of this (and many other things as well of course.)

Top Bottom