• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Saber Interactive CEO Says KOTOR Remake Is 'Alive and Well'

ZlPrdX1.png

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake is one of gaming's most elusive projects. Announced in 2021, the long-awaited remake has changed hands multiple times, seemingly stopped development and restarted again, and after six years of development has yet to manifest. Fortunately, we finally have a real, concrete update on what's going on. Saber Interactive is still working on it, and according to the CEO, it's "alive and well."
Speaking to IGN in an interview today, Saber Interactive CEO Matthew Karch confirmed that the company took KOTOR with it during its split from Embracer Group, and that the game is still in active development.

"It's clear and it's obivous that we're working on this," he said. "It's been in the press numerous times. What I will say is that the game is alive and well, and we're dedicated to making sure we exceed consumer expectations."
Karch would not offer further details, but in an investor call following the announcement of Saber's departure, Embracer CEO Lars Wingefors implied the KOTOR remake may still be a long way away. The game has undergone a long limbo, having been announced in 2021 after three years of development at Aspyr, paused indefinitely due to lack of progress, and revived again at Saber Interactive. There have been minimal official updates since.
We spoke with Karch on a number of other topics surrounding Saber Interactive's recent departure from Embracer Group, which saw Karch acquire it back via his own holding company, Beacon Interactive. Included in the deal were at least 38 video game projects, over 3,000 employees, and studios such as Nimble Giant, Mad Head Games, Slipgate, New World Interactive, 3D Realms, and all Saber-branded studios.

Check back here at IGN tomorrow for more from our interview with Karch, including his thoughts on Saber's initial merger with Embracer and its recent split, the status of a number of other Saber games, as well as the future of Saber and Beacon Interactive.

violence

Part of me thinks this remake should be made by BioWare in order to train the new people. They’re not the same company anymore.

Last edited:

M0G

It's been a long hard road, but we'll make this happen. Just be sure, that somebody will get to burn every single one of your cherished entertainment memories. Once we're done raping KOTOR, we're gonna bring back Star Wars Galaxies as a rail shooter.

violence

It's been a long hard road, but we'll make this happen. Just be sure, that somebody will get to burn every single one of your cherished entertainment memories. Once we're done raping KOTOR, we're gonna bring back Star Wars Galaxies as a rail shooter.
FMV rail shooter!

Reactions: M0G

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
lets be honest, anyone here actually believe this remake will end up good under saber interactive?

nowhat

In related news, Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf stated that Baghdad is holding firm and the foreign invaders will be repelled any day now.

Lorianus

Neo Member
"Alive" is such a vague statement, a patient with missing arms and legs in a coma who is kept alive by machines is also technically alive.

And? This remake was announced what? 3 years ago?

Has there been a glimpse or a single potato screen shot of the game?

“it’s clear and obvious, we are working on this”…… is it?

Dazraell

Is it still being made by that person that hated the original?
Nah. This was at time when project was handled by Aspyr and after the controversy started she was yeeted from the dev team. We also don't know if Saber is continuing this past iteration or if they started from scratch

Jigsaah

Gold Member
What would prompt them to responded to rumor we've all but forgotten about. If it was alive and well wouldn't they have debunked the rumors immediately?

If there was new life put into the project I don't call that alive and well. I'd say it's on life support.

Dazraell

What would prompt them to responded to rumor we've all but forgotten about. If it was alive and well wouldn't they have debunked the rumors immediately?

If there was new life put into the project I don't call that alive and well. I'd say it's on life support.
Long story short, Saber recently split from Embracer Group and it's an independent company now. They took multiple studios and projects with them and one of them was KotOR Remake, hence the reason of this update so public could know who is working on it and that project is still in development

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Long story short, Saber recently split from Embracer Group and it's an independent company now. They took multiple studios and projects with them and one of them was KotOR Remake, hence the reason of this update so public could know who is working on it and that project is still in development
I see. So it was Embracer's fault that the rumors were flying like this. Subsequently Saber splitting saved the project. That makes me feel a bit better about it.

Dazraell

I see. So it was Embracer's fault that the rumors were flying like this. Subsequently Saber splitting saved the project. That makes me feel a bit better about it.
Kinda, yeah. Embracer sorts of inherited this mess after Saber bought Aspyr as Saber was their subsidiary. We don't know what exactly happened, but according to rumors Sony was very unhappy about the quality of Aspyr's take on KotOR Remake to the point they resigned from publishing it. There is no official info about this though, so this may not be true. That being said, Saber didn't picked Aspyr with them after splitting from Embracer and Sony scrubbed any mentions of KotOR Remake from all of their social media, so take it in any way you want. Ultimately Aspyr's take at KotOR remake was put on hold and picked over by team at Saber who are quietly working on it for over a year by now

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Kinda, yeah. Embracer sorts of inherited this mess after Saber bought Aspyr as Saber was their subsidiary. We don't know what exactly happened, but according to rumors Sony was very unhappy about the quality of Aspyr's take on KotOR Remake to the point they resigned from publishing it. There is no official info about this though, so this may not be true. That being said, Saber didn't picked Aspyr with them after splitting from Embracer and Sony scrubbed any mentions of KotOR Remake from all of their social media, so take it in any way you want. Ultimately Aspyr's take at KotOR remake was put on hold and picked over by team at Saber who are quietly working on it for over a year by now
Appreciate the insight. DM Inspiration for you.

Fredrik

Fredrik Fredrik maybe you are onto something. Jesus! But the thing is both games mentioned will be on pc and one console. Maybe we need to drop all exclusives xD.
Regarding salty takes?
Yeah you know I’m right, salt salt salt everywhere all the time, exaggerated negatives and altared screens is the norm.
Some games are big enough to succeed anyway though.

Top Bottom