• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Memory of Imageepoch: A Requiem For The JRPG Saviors

Black Rock Shooter is a solid game, really enjoyed that one. Arc Rise Fantasia was fine too as a Tales-clone. Never got round to playing The Last Ranker though.

Luminous Arc 1 and 2 were pretty mediocre SRPGs that mostly relied on fanservice. Not sure about 3, but probably the same.

Not expecting much from Stella Glow, either, but I'll give it a try since it's being localized.

Kouriozan

Played Arc Rise Fantasia in Japanese, had to import it since it took forever to come and then it was US only.
I finished this game 3 times, that battle system was so fun and well done, it's like the Skies of Arcadia sequel Sega never done.
Yes, only talking about the battle system.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I've play Fate/Extra, 7th-dragon 2020, and BRS
I finish Fate/extra twice, but never did finish 7th dragon 2020 and BRS. It was okay, not the most mindblowing rpg ever, but it was serviceable

I've still never played an Imageepoch game. I'd like to have made it Arc Rise Fantasia but alas, Europe...

Will probably grab Fate/Extra and BRS before they get pulled from PSN at least.

Meffer

Most games I played of theirs was rather meh.
I did want to play 7th Dragon though, really badly actually, but it was never localized!

Shinriji

Sol Trigger is pretty good. The plot is OK, good graphics, and the DQ-style gameplay was sweet.

Still waiting for Vic to release an english version, heh.

GeekyDad

I always took this developer for what they seemed to be trying to be -- the Andy Kaufman of JRPGs. There wasn't much they did I didn't enjoy. The Luminous Arc games were a little hard to get through at times because of how bad the dialogue and premise were, but I still appreciated those games for what they were. I'll miss their silly, immature approach to making games. Stella Glow will be a pre-order for me, if for no other reason than the fact it should go up in value over the years.

aravuus

Oh shit, it's the Arc Rise Fantasia guys

What a hilarious game. The characters and story were so utterly, utterly idiotic it actually made for quite a fun experience. Will replay it some day.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I wanted to enjoy Luminous arc, and bought both 1 and 2, but use of the 'comedic pervert' trope just put me off. Why would you allow some creepy guy to join your party? Wouldn't you just tell him to sod off, it's not like he's needed when the rest of the party are powerful mages and knights. It's like he's added for 'hilarious' comic effect, which is just terrible writing for the other characters if a dozen of them can't supply humour.

They are pretty average tactics games, but as first efforts they had potential if they could have learned from the best in the genre and lost the skeeviness.
Oh godddd I forgot about this. I played probably the first ten (?) hours of the game way back when it first came out, and it didn't grab me at all, and I'm pretty sure this was part of why

Arc Rise Fantasia was pretty good as long as you turned off the voice acting volume. Time & Eternity was sort of enjoyable in a B-movie trainwreck way. Haven't played anything else from them.

canedaddy

I played Luminous Arc and wasn't impressed. I own the sequel and will give it a try sometime when I'm really desperate for an SRPG.

rhandino

Banned
I played Luminous Arc and wasn't impressed. I own the sequel and will give it a try sometime when I'm really desperate for an SRPG.

Luminous Arc I is basura while Luminous Arc II is excellent.

I really liked the story and some of the humor in the game and the gameplay was very serviceable.

I remember being really excited for Sands of Destruction because it heavily advertised Mitsuda and Kato's involvement, but then the game released to meh reviews and I didn't bother picking it up.

I still think Last Ranker looks awesome, wish it got translated. I never found their other stuff too interesting, but a studio closing is always crappy.

About all I know of them is a few streams of Schala's showing off Time and Eternity (holy shit that was skeevy as hell) and Arc Rise Fantasia (looked passable, but did they seriously get the actor for John Mayor from Deep Fear, a game notorious for horrible voice acting, for a role?). I do recall hearing some positive hype for Sands of Destruction prior to release (including some comparisons to Chrono Trigger, although I can't remember the context for them), although that fell flat pretty quickly after release. Didn't know they were the 7th Dragon folk, but since that game never came out in English...

Can't say as I'll miss them.

Let this be the song that plays as the coffin is lowered into the grave.

Time and Eternity - Comedy
God dammit I came here to make this joke

aravuus

Since when was Arc Rise Fantasia a Tales clone?

It's totally a turn-based Tales game. Literally the first thing I thought after I started it, and I never changed my mind.

Not nearly as good as Tales games though, but then again, guess I'm a pretty big fan

Jucksalbe

Banned
I liked Black Rock Shooter, here's my short writeup for the SOTY 2013 thread:

oci7IkV.png

x. Black☆Rock Shooter: The Game

This game is set in a dystopian science-fiction world, so don't expect a lot of happy and cheerful music here. But it's good music, just listen to a few examples. And it's a small thing, but I really liked the Mission Clear music.

I had to look up the composer to find out why stuff like this sounded so familiar to me. It's Manabu Namiki, who also composed for a lot of Cave games, including the wonderful Mushihimesama Futari. Still it's kinda funny, because he's also responsible for DoDonPachi Saidaioujou, one of my least favorite soundtracks of this year.

Of the others I only played Luminous Arc, which was kind of average.

Arc Rise Fantasia was a fantastic game, and is very underrated by people. That game had a really fun battle system.

I can't say that I've ever played anything else by them. It sounds like 7th Dragon and Last Ranker (and possibly Luminous Arc) were worthwhile, at least.

Fisico

Since when was Arc Rise Fantasia a Tales clone?

Key lead from the development team were older staff from the Tales Studio, and you just have to play the game to see it's heavily inspired by the Tales franchise, only the battle system greatly differs.

ohlawd

It's totally a turn-based Tales game. Literally the first thing I thought after I started it, and I never changed my mind.

Not nearly as good as Tales games though, but then again, guess I'm a pretty big fan

what. ARF is better than pretty much all localized Tales except Symphonia

The Luminous Arc series was my favorite from them. Still salty we never got the third game. I know they weren't amazing games , but they got the job done and I liked their humor. I'll find a way to play the Vita game and I'm picking up Stella Glow later this year. I mean that's practically a Luminous Arc game.

aravuus

what. ARF is better than pretty much all localized Tales except Symphonia

Now that's a controversial opinion!

ARF's writing (story, characters, dialogue etc etc) is so fucking bad it's actually hilarious, and I don't like saying this, but it's almost a fact. It has no redeeming qualities. Most Tales games (anything aside from Vesperia, I'd say) have "just" painfully average, anime-cliche ridden writing.

Certainly no need for a flat what here, that should be reserved for statements like "Dark Souls has one of the worst combat systems around". I'm 100% sure you're in a small minority.

Ventara

Looking through their list of games, I actually haven't played any of them, except for 5 minutes of Fate/Extra. Though I'm still saddened they're gone. That's one less JP developer. :(

Shit company that was managed by a guy who clearly had no idea how to run a business, who managed to attract some pretty good talent for a period of time only to implode once said talents left the company. 7th Dragon and Last Ranker were great at least. Everything else was mehtastic.

This is exactly where I stand with IE, though Duck and Aeana are already more than aware of that. lol

I actively take mental notes on who says they enjoyed Time & Eternity, cause then I know our tastes will never ever align. XD

That said, I did like Fate/Extra, but that's entirely because I love the Nasuverse and thought it spun a super rad yarn. The gameplay was just bonus fluff around the visual novel.

Nachos

I really need to play 7th Dragon soon-ish. I'm starting to appreciate Kazuya Niinou more and more, now that I'm replaying the original version of Etrian Odyssey 1.

soc

I replayed Last Ranker recently, and had a good time with it. Love the soundtrack, game has some good characters and funny moments. The first time through, the last couple of hours were super hype, but it wasn't quite as good the second time around. good memories, because it was he first game I played in Japanese.

Chiwa Saito as Caster in Fate/Extra and Fate/Extra CCC is pretty much my favourite game VA ever. Criminal Girls was surprisingly fun.

Overall, good memories from Imageepoch games, and hoping I can pick up 7thDragon2020 sometime.

ss-hikaru

I played Luminous Arc and really got into the tactics battle system (little dragon brother archer was my favourite) but the voice acting/drama was terribad XD Looking forward to Stella Glow, hopefully it's a decent game.

Holy crap, I just noticed...

It's "Imageepoch", not "Imagepooch"

I always read it as Imageepooch
iMEYjiPOOCH

I wanted to enjoy Luminous arc, and bought both 1 and 2, but use of the 'comedic pervert' trope just put me off.

I don't remember this, at least in Luminous Arc I? I I definitely ditched Luminous Arc II cos of the marriage system tho...was really creeped out by the 12 year old girl two screen wedding dress spread...

RM8

I only played the first Luminous Arc and it was okay. I'm sad to read the sequel got creepy :/ I guess my favorite game from them is Yoshi's New Island, lol.

jetsaito

Tried many of their games, only one I could manager to bother finishing was Criminal Girls, I always wanted to play 7th Dragon and it's sequel.

Verelios

Luminous Arc was such utter tripe I can't begin to say where they went wrong. I could obviously start with the nonsensical plot, paper weight characters, or even SRPG lite battle grid, but I won't. Because the sum total of those things make it not even worth it. I can handle one out of three factors being bad. Jeanne D Arc was enjoyable for instance, even though the story was light. But every aspect? Hm

LA2 was only marginally better but an improvement.

Arc Rise Fantasia was surprisingly good given their output. I put in a lot of hours just playing around with the battle system. Made me see IE in a new way, given I also enjoyed Last Ranker. so yeah, they had their problems and were never going to be the Messiah of JRPGs, but I'll pour one out for em. Dammit, at least they tried.

Top Bottom