• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Insider Gaming] Inside Ubisoft – From Low Morale To Internal Tensions

3liteDragon

As industry-wide layoffs continue to plague headlines, Ubisoft, the sixth-largest video game company by employees, is at a crossroads. Internally, morale is at an all-time low and employees fear that the publisher could be next to see a major restructuring, inevitably resulting in a high number of people losing their jobs. The lack of job security is the current feeling felt across the industry, but as Ubisoft leadership continues its never-ending ambition to pursue trends, usually resulting in wasted resources or lackluster results, it won’t be them shown the door if the company needs to reduce costs.

Since the start of 2023, over 15,000 game industry workers have lost their jobs, with over 5600 being lost in January 2024 alone. Ubisoft hasn’t escaped unscathed, as 124 layoffs hit the company in November 2023, but sources, who spoke with Insider Gaming under the condition of anonymity, believe that the writing is on the wall and that number is likely to grow. But with one of its best pipelines of games in over a decade, why exactly are internal tensions at boiling point? Over the past several months, I’ve been speaking to a number of employees at the company to understand why.

The Wild Goose Chase

In recent years, Ubisoft’s strategy has moved away from innovation and creativity and led the company on a wild goose chase to produce what was popular at the time. From trying to produce the next colossal free-to-play battle royale to its desire for NFTs and web3, the never-ending pursuit has left countless projects being canned, talent being wasted, and a massive amount of money being flushed down the toilet. At one point in late 2021 to early 2022, the company had around a dozen battle royale games in development, sources said. Many of these projects ultimately failed to captivate players during playtesting and were subsequently canceled.

One such game was Ghost Recon: Frontline, which met fan pushback on its announcement due to the game not aligning with player interests. One of the top comments from its official reveal trailer reads, “The Community: we want a return to roots hardcore tactical stealthy shooter – Ubisoft: We hear you, here’s a Battle Royal game”. It was a sentiment not just reflected by YouTube comments either, as after four years of development, the game was canceled in the summer of 2022 for an undisclosed reason. Four other unannounced games were also publically canceled from mid-2022 to January 2023, in addition to Splinter Cell VR and Project Q.

Battle royale games weren’t Ubisoft’s only trend-chasing impulse though, in late 2021, the company announced Ubisoft Quartz – its attempt to take advantage of the then NFT boom. The announcement was publically slammed, and internally, employees felt embarrassed to even be associated with a company that made such a prolific out-of-touch announcement. Two years on, it seems like Ubisoft has realized that NFTs are not the money-making technology it thought it was. Still, the company continues to quietly work in the NFT/web3 sphere on projects like Champions Tactics: Grimoria Chronicles.

Looking ahead, the publisher’s desires currently lie with live service and extraction-based shooters. Insider Gaming understands that at least three major extraction-based shooters are in development at the publisher. The Division Heartland (release date TBA), Far Cry’s Project Maverick (tentative 2025 release), and a new IP set in World War 2 that is forecasted to release around 2026-2027. Whether or not all of these games will be released remains to be seen, but for those working on the projects, it’s feared that once again, the boat may have sailed by the time they are released.

Constant Delays & Management

In recent years, there has been one thing that you can probably count on with a Ubisoft game – its inevitable delay. It’s a frustration that’s been felt publically and internally, mostly boiling down to unrealistic internal deadlines and poor management. One of the most well-known examples of constant delays is Skull and Bones, the decade-long-in-development pirate game that has seen six public delays. The game is estimated to have cost in the region of $200 million to produce, a figure that is not expected to be made back, sources said. For the most part, delays stemmed from a plague of power-hungry managers trying to elevate their careers. The constant changes in vision created a rotten atmosphere, with some developers confused as to what they were meant to be doing on a day-to-day basis.

“Some days I would just be sat there watching YouTube videos”, said one former employee who worked on the project. Eventually, though, the dust finally settled, and the foundations were finally laid on what Skull and Bones was going to be. Internal delays then became public delays as Ubisoft Singapore faced a series of unrealistic deadlines.

Unfortunately, Skull and Bones isn’t the only game to suffer this fate either. Poor management is a publisher-wide issue, from Beyond Good and Evil 2, which has been in development hell for nearly 15 years and is still nowhere near completion, to XDefiant, the free-to-play first-person shooter developed by Ubisoft San Francisco which has faced near-monthly internal delays because of last minute decisions to include additional features that break the current build.

Back to Office

In September 2023, staff at Ubisoft Montreal, some 4000 employees, returned to the office after three years of working from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The decision was met with harsh criticism from Montreal employees, but also company-wide, which fell on deaf ears. Now just months later, Ubisoft has started to rollout Return to Office mandates across the company, with the general rule of thumb to see staff having to return to office for a minimum of two days per week company-wide. One such mandate, set to go enforce in full effect on April 2, 2024, will see the entire Global Publishing group return for those compulsory two days.

In the policy, shared with Insider Gaming under the condition that it doesn’t go public, the policy outlines that Tuesday will be a mandatory “Office Day”, with employees being able to agree on the second day with their Line Manager. Similar policies across the company are also being enforced, with some employees outlining that they fear it’s just the beginning of enforcing full-time mandatory return-to-office. After all, one justification for the mandates is that the company sees the two days in-office per week as a compromise, as other companies in the industry require employees to be in the office more days per week.

The result has left employees in uproar as they frantically scramble for daycare and take care of other arrangements, as well as expressing the obvious concerns over travel and its reliability, cost, and time; something that many employees didn’t need to consider when accepting jobs.

By the Numbers

Unfortunately, the years of constant delays and out-of-touch decisions have hindered the reputation of the company with players. Resentment is being felt, with some employees believing that it’s now being reflected in player numbers. In early January, Ubisoft released one of its highest-rated Metacritic games in the past decade, Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown. The game hit a height of 88 (Nintendo Switch) with its critic score and a 9.1 user score, leading many to believe that the game could already be in the running for several Game of the Year awards. Despite the impressive scores though, the game has around 300,000 players at the time of writing (estimated $15m in revenue).

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, a game that was announced to be in development at Massive in March 2017, was intended to launch to coincide with The Way of Water and capitalize on its inevitable success. However, after several delays, the game launched in December 2023 with limited marketing. At the time of writing, sources revealed that the game has accumulated 1.9 million players (estimated $133m in revenue). For context, Massive’s last two AAA games, The Division (2016) and The Division 2 (2019) did $330m and $264m (roughly) in their initial launch weeks. Assassin’s Creed Mirage, which was said to be on par with past successful launches such as Assassin’s Creed Origins and Odyssey currently stands at 5 million players (estimated $250m in revenue).

Not All Doom And Gloom

Despite the hardship that Ubisoft continues to face, the company does have one of its best lineups of games in recent memory. If there are no further delays, Ubisoft has two major releases planned for this year; Star Wars Outlaws (First Half of 2024) and Assassin’s Creed Codename Red (Second Half of 2024).

In 2025 and 2026, expect a new mainline entry to Ghost Recon (Project Over) set during the fictional Naiman War, two new Far Cry titles including a multiplayer game (Project Maverick), and a new mainline entry to Far Cry (Project Blackbird), two new Assassin’s Creed games (Hexe and Invictus), and the already announced Splinter Cell Remake. Beyond that, expect several new Assassin’s Creed games, including an Assassin’s Creed Black Flag remake, currently known as Project Obsidian.

Should Ubisoft find success with these upcoming games, the feeling both within and around the company is likely to change. But first, a strong change in direction needs to happen. The cracks are beginning to show and if things were to continue the way they have recently, from leaving employees in turmoil to having competent managers run projects, the inevitable restructuring could see many affected.

Ubisoft was offered the opportunity to comment before the publication of this article but did not comment in the time of publication.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Odd, I thought gaming employees loved snazzy new offices. I dont think UBI is going to force workers into some shitty 30 year old building with archaic carpets and wallpaper. I thought gaming employees loved ping pong, free food and complimentary dry cleaning service! lol

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
The result has left employees in uproar as they frantically scramble for daycare and take care of other arrangements, as well as expressing the obvious concerns over travel and its reliability, cost, and time; something that many employees didn’t need to consider when accepting jobs.

Or, as I like to call it, 'reality'.

Suck it up, you fucking assholes.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Funny how before COVID wfh, every person could figure out daycare and picking up kids.

Hey, if someone wants to drastically change their lifestyle assuming wfh is permanent go ahead. But don’t blame anyone else.

The best and craziest examples are people at my office who during wfh bought a new house at a bargain price 1.5 to 2 hours away!…. Hey guys you’ll never guess! I just sold my house for and going to move to a similar house farther out but I bank $300000….. Then back to office is asked and they freak out. Lucky for them they only need to come in 1-2 times per week but they bitch and moan about the commute or being asked to come to the office an extra day for big meetings. Be lucky the company hasn’t asked for your ass 5 days a week like 2019. Nobody asked you to move houses during a time when most people were scared of losing their job or germs.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

This is almost IGN Bungie "expose" levels of bunk.

"In recent years, Ubisoft’s strategy has moved away from innovation and creativity"? If by recent, you mean 15 years ago. Ubisoft has been rehashing IP to the point of sleep walking. Even Watch Dogs was spun up from a fully modern AC pitch, and was probably a Ubisoft attempt to get themselves some GTA pie. This is not a new development, and how it harms employees who seem to be just fine sitting around "watching Youtube" half of the time and reusing assets beyond me.

Avatar's sales are low? That's the devs team fault for making blue-people Far Cry. Didn’t see any innovation there. First person was never going to be appealing for that game.

And the Back to Office Section... omg, so annoying to read. You think maybe a lack of productivity in recent years has nothing to do with people WFH? Get the fuck over it and get back in the office. You're making games, not running maintenance on Instagram.

Optimus Lime

Funny how before COVID wfh, every person could figure out daycare and picking up kids.

Hey, if someone wants to drastically change their lifestyle assuming wfh is permanent go ahead. But don’t blame anyone else.
This is all spot on.

I don't want to go back in the fucking office either. Working from home ruled. But, the idea that the entire world was never going to work onsite ever again was always deluded.

And if you didn't realise that, and decided to move away from your employer because you believed that you would literally never be required onsite again? You're a huge retard. And, apparently, an Assassin's Creed developer.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
OMG this is completely vapid. There's literally nothing in here except vague clickbait.

AI needs to take jobs faster. Hurry Skynet, hurry!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is all spot on.

I don't want to go back in the fucking office either. Working from home ruled. But, the idea that the entire world was never going to work onsite ever again was always deluded.

And if you didn't realise that, and decided to move away from your employer because you believed that you would literally never be required onsite again? You're a huge retard. And, apparently, an Assassin's Creed developer.
It made no sense because business wise as COVID continued on and sales trending slowly started migrating back to normal levels everyone at the office could see life going back to normal. It was just a matter of when.

Yet somehow wfh is supposed to be a permanent thing.

And considering how many people bitch and moaned about shitty MS Teams meetings messing up and nobody can hear what’s going on in big meetings you’d think they’d appreciated in person work. Nope. They’d rather be at home and can’t hear anything. Goes to show the work ethic.

Last edited:
It’s odd that this thread is getting derailed into people cheering against WFH yet again, when that’s like 10% of this article’s report and not even Ubisoft’s biggest problem.

Roufianos

Weren't we told Ubisoft were in trouble a the start last year? Must be really dire after so many flops since then.

Cyberpunkd

Odd, I thought gaming employees loved snazzy new offices. I dont think UBI is going to force workers into some shitty 30 year old building with archaic carpets and wallpaper. I thought gaming employees loved ping pong, free food and complimentary dry cleaning service! lol
They do, as long as it's a bullet point on the company's page and you are not required to come to the office.

I wish I could go to the factory 2 days a week and still be employed!
If your own home has the same machines and tools or whatever available for whatever that factory does and you bringing in the products with your car at no extra cost I would assume your employer would allow it. But I doubt he would buy those necessary machines a second time.
Wfh is of course easier for office stuff, where only a PC is needed and not some piece of a million dollar factory line or whatever. The main costs for an average office is probably rent, maybe expensive software which then still can be used at home, while the machines are the big chunk in every factory and those are rather stationary.

I have no idea what the covid & wfh excuses and blame are all the time. I just did the numbers for my team. We even increased our efficiency during Covid years and our output stayed almost as high as normal during the abnormal 2 work days per week years. Also last year with some of us switching to wfh regularly or on occasion, the numbers did not change. If productivity goes down it's more a symptom of bad employees than a problem with wfh itself which should save the employee time, cutting their commute time which they should pay back by being more motivated to do decent work in the work hours.
Probably a privilege that should not just be given willy nilly but a bonus for employees that worked at least a year at their position and it is probably much easier to monitor for small companies where individuals slacking is immediately visible.

Yeah, I've been suspecting trouble afoot for some time here.

I'm a big Division fan, but I've been surprised at the lack of information given on Division: Heartland. It was announced in May 2021 and nothing has been shown much publicly since then.

Every single playtest has been under NDA and very little hype has been generated. Not even XDefiant did that every single time and that's not even out yet(still)

Not very good when you're trying to get a F2P game to have a base at launch and not be utterly DOA.

At this point, wouldn't be surprised if it's delayed til 2025, gets shitcanned or folds into Division 3.

I work 70 hours a week from home as a CISO and manage a full remote staff. Real leaders don't need to look over their employees shoulder to know they are working hard. Just because McDonalds requires you to come in every day doesn't mean you need to shit all over everyone else here.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

I don't know why I get the feeling that no company or publisher is free from bad work environments seeing so many articles of the same type...... I'm starting to believe that it's simply the same as it has always been but now there are more speakers for complain and achieve profits... I can't believe that everything was better before and now everything is worse. .

Ps.Star Wars Outlaw in the first half of 2024 is interesting...

xrnzaaas

I work 70 hours a week from home as a CISO and manage a full remote staff. Real leaders don't need to look over their employees shoulder to know they are working hard. Just because McDonalds requires you to come in every day doesn't mean you need to shit all over everyone else here.
I agree. Many employers think they can magically control their employees and make them work harder when they're in the office instead of working remotely. Guess what, they can still slack off and the job they do can still lead to shit results.

It's all about having the tools to monitor the progress and the knowledge on what should and can't be done within a given budget & timeframe. Doesn't matter if the person is working locally or remotely.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

Unfortunately, that is not the norm for most workers. I'm glad that you feel like you're a 'real leader' compared to all of those dumb LOL nurses who have to go into hospitals, or the majority of other workers who are now required to attend work on-site - at least partially.

I guess they all work at 'McDonalds', hey? Or, maybe you're just a sanctimonious, delusional cunt.

Unfortunately, that is not the norm for most workers. I'm glad that you feel like you're a 'real leader' compared to all of those dumb LOL nurses who have to go into hospitals, or the majority of other workers who are now required to attend work on-site - at least partially.

I guess they all work at 'McDonalds', hey? Or, maybe you're just a sanctimonious, delusional cunt.

Obviously, i only have the greatest respect for those people who put their lives on the line to help others. You took the argument a different direction as you know i was specifically discussing one of the topics of this thread which involved people being forced back into the office. It had nothing to do with people who don't have that option at all. The McDonalds comment was meant to be a smartass remark to a rather nasty post. I have no problem with a heated debate but when someone has to resort to name calling i'm out. Have a wonderful day.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

Obviously, i only have the greatest respect for those people who put their lives on the line to help others. You took the argument a different direction as you know i was specifically discussing one of the topics of this thread which involved people being forced back into the office. It had nothing to do with people who don't have that option at all. The McDonalds comment was meant to be a smartass remark to a rather nasty post. I have no problem with a heated debate but when someone has to resort to name calling i'm out. Have a wonderful day.
No, what you did was jump into the thread and attack me for pointing out the truth - that bitching about having to work part time in the office is delusional, since it applies to the majority of the workforce. That's not 'nasty'. It's called 'reality'. You chose to attack me by accusing me of 'working at McDonalds'. It wasn't a 'smartass remark'. The only person being nasty to anyone on this forum was you. I attacked nobody.

I stand by exactly what I called you. You don't like it? That's okay. Maybe think next time you post, and you won't look like such a complete and total asshole, regardless of the 'greatest respect' that you completely failed to show in your original post. Bye bye now, champ.

makaveli60

Commuting 4 hours a day for going into the office and home, working in an open office environment where others laugh and talk loudly and having absolutely no benefit of working there instead of home. Almost everyone in my team hates going to the office and works effectively from home. Tell me what’s the point of requiring people to go into the office besides some people being control freaks?

Commuting 4 hours a day for going into the office and home, working in an open office environment where others laugh and talk loudly and having absolutely no benefit of working there instead of home. Almost everyone in my team hates going to the office and works effectively from home. Tell me what’s the point of requiring people to go into the office besides some people being control freaks?

Micro Managers are one reason. A lot of these companies are also forcing a return to office so that people will voluntarily leave, thus fulfilling thier layoff goals. Either way, it's a ridiculous waste of time and resources to make people return to the office.

Top Bottom