• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Insomniac Leaks] Business Update: PS4 & PS5 Platform Health — February 2023 | Full Presentation

5NH2pym.jpeg

7OjVW0K.jpeg

UaE7Xwq.jpeg

oVgWNWL.jpeg

CeTDg5K.jpeg

vY4hOCi.jpeg

The source is this recent post from /r/GamingLeaksAndRumours. Enjoy!

recent open-world live services games releases like GoW, COD MVII and Hogwarts Legacy helped increase hours gameplay/user ...
GoW is not open-world (and the last one is very linear), Hogwarts legacy is an excellent single player game that happens to be open-world ish and COD, well is COD and is always thriving thanks to its impeccable 60fps gameplay, not thanks to its 'live services'.

From those games they conclude open-world and live services single handledly increased gameplay / user metric? From what I could see what increased that metric is the success of traditionnal gaming model based on solid 60fps MP gameplay and compelling single player games.

Last edited:
GoW is not open-world (and the last one is very linear), Hogwarts legacy is an excellent single player game that happens to be open-world ish and COD, well is COD and is always thriving thanks to its impeccable 60fps gameplay, not thanks to its 'live services'.

From those games they conclude open-world and live services single handledly increased gameplay / user metric? From what I could see what increased that metric is the success of traditionnal gaming model based on solid 60fps MP gameplay and compelling single player games.
I also was going to comment similar, at least this kind of confirms why they started turning everything into open world and it is because they want to increase a "key metric". I feel this guys really care zero about gaming and this is just any other product or service for them.

Miss the days when the artist/programmer were the CEO of this companies

ReBurn

Gold Member
Interesting, it looks like as of February 2023, the majority of the time spent was in Single-Player 'Offline' games. Or that's at least how I interpret this specific graph.

image.png
Mostly offline, anyway, considering they're tracking how much time people spend playing "offline." We're never truly alone.

I also was going to comment similar, at least this kind of confirms why they started turning everything into open world and it is because they want to increase a "key metric". I feel this guys really care zero about gaming and this is just any other product or service for them.

It's worse than that. With their spins they are trying to justify their failed full on open-world / live services strategy. I wouldn't be surprised if those comments were directly written by Jim Ryan. He needs to justify his bonuses. Sony are starting to look like MS as that reminds be Spencer's tricks to justify his failing strategy at Xbox's.

Perrott

Gold Member

Horizon: Zero Dawn sold over 20 million copies while its likely that no Killzone game ever crossed the 5M mark.

That's why most of their big budget singleplayer games are open-worlds, not because of some random metric.

Last edited:

geary

They should fire the guys that made this PowerPoints...Those slides/charts look awfully amateurish for a company the size of Sony. They need to upscale their presentation skills.

Jayjayhd34

Horizon: Zero Dawn sold over 20 million copies while its likely that no Killzone game ever crossed the 5M mark.

That's why most of their big budget singleplayer games are open-worlds, not because of some random metric.
For some reason games sell more these days even though console sales haven't really increased. Some top selling ps2 games never crossed the 10 mil mark ps3 was pretty much same with only GT and GtA crossing 10 million mark last of us only sold 7.3 million on ps3...

The PS4 generation possible made more profit than all the previous PS generations combined , the PS5 generations continues into that as well.

There are PS4/PS5 first party games crossing the 20m. units sold mark when in previous generations they had trouble getting games with 5-10m. units sold.

The Leaks have also confirmed that they make quite nice profit from their first party games.

So, what it’s this failed strategy from Sony that some users are referring to?

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
They should fire the guys that made this PowerPoints...Those slides/charts look awfully amateurish for a company the size of Sony. They need to upscale their presentation skills.
Slides should be informative more than anything else. These are fine.

Last edited:
Very interesting. Release open world games to draw in users, in turn making them stick around longer, then release AAA story driven games to lock them in.

Killjoy-NL

The PS4 generation possible made more profit than all the previous PS generations, the PS5 generations continues into that.

There are PS4/PS5 first party games crossing the 20m. units sold mark when in previous generations they had trouble getting games with 5-10m. units sold.

The Leaks have also confirmed that they make quite nice profit from their first party games.

So, what it’s this failed strategy from Sony that some users are referring to?
If MS does bad, Sony must as well.

For some reason games sell more these days even though console sales haven't really increased. Some top selling ps2 games never crossed the 10 mil mark ps3 was pretty much same with only GT and GtA crossing 10 million mark last of us only sold 7.3 million on ps3...
It's because games are main stream now. They've trumped Hollywood in terms of engagement and fan base for specific IP's.

Back in the 2010 days, games were for nerds and some more casual people who started to branch out from their daily activities.

Jayjayhd34

It's because games are main stream now. They've trumped Hollywood in terms of engagement and fan base for specific IP's.

Back in the 2010 days, games were for nerds and some more casual people who started to branch out from their daily activities.

Doesn't really explain consoles sales though as you'd think consoles would be selling twice as much but they still cap out st roughly 120 million.

I can't back it up but I think it's down digital sales and the fact certain gamers have gone all digital and arnt as reliant on second hand market. I mean when i was younger new games would be very rare my father just bought of ebay or amazon second hamd. I got the whole gta trilogy pack for ps2 for two pound because the seller didn't approve of child having it.,😁

Top Bottom