• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Bluetooth trough Xbox controller on PC sufficient?

Gamezone

Gold Member
I'm usually using the wireless adapter for PC, but this USB device seems to stop working for no apparent reason. It's happen twice the last three years. So now I have to buy my third adapter.

How's Bluetooth in comparison?

Ulysses 31

Which adapter versions you used?

The fat ones did disconnect from time to time but the slim one has been working flawlessly so far for over a year.

31CppNjHoiL._AC_.jpg

The fat ones did disconnect from time to time but the slim one has been working flawlessly so far for over a year.

31CppNjHoiL._AC_.jpg
I"ve been using this new adapter for years and it's never had an issue.
My new computer has built in blutooth and I setup one of my xbox controllers through blutooth and one with the adapter at the same time. I could not tell you which is using which.
The adapter dongle does let you use two controllers at the same time online while using audio headsets, Or 4 controllers at the same time without headsets. I don't know if blutooth does all that.

BlackTron

I have the newer gen slim USB adapter. It randomly disconnected by controller while playing Vampire Survivors on my laptop. Twice. I gave up and ceded to bluetooth if I'm away from home, and if I'm home, use the god damned 360 USB adapter instead.

Gamezone

Gold Member

31CppNjHoiL._AC_.jpg
This is what I've been using. Also, it's getting very hard to find. Have Microsoft stopped producing these?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Bluetooth works fine for me, even with a keyboard and dualsense also connected.

JCK75

I got this for my birthday and it's by far the greatest controller on earth.
the optional 2.4ghz mode makes it so much better.. and the fact it has gyro and the same back buttons as the steam deck makes it unquestionably the best Steamdeck controller.

I use the dongle, as mentioned above. Bluetooth is alright, but I always found that when the controller battery got low, games would stutter like crazy.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
I did some research on this and the PS4 controller is the fastest over Bluetooth, faster even compared to the same controller wired same for dualsense I think
Xbox is the same wired and wireless
BNY8ZXp.png

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm usually using the wireless adapter for PC, but this USB device seems to stop working for no apparent reason. It's happen twice the last three years. So now I have to buy my third adapter.

Try it yourself instead of creating a pointless thread.

31CppNjHoiL._AC_.jpg
This one used to disconnect about once a month for me. I still get people replying to my reddit thread about it like 3 years ago when I thought I found a fix. Using the 8bit controllers did seem to work better but I didn't test it long enough to verify.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’ve done the latency testings. It adds about 16-32ms of input latency compared to their 2.4ghz dongle, and about 32-40ms compared to wired. That is to say that it’s almost entirely imperceptible.

The only downside is that SOMETIMES you can get single latency spikes in the ~80-120ms range just due to how Bluetooth packages, buffers, and receives its data. I’ve found that this is more dependent on your receiver and the distance you’re playing at than the controller itself.

I’m a huge stickler for minimizing latency, and I personally don’t have a problem playing modern games with my Bluetooth Xbox Elite 2 controller. When I’m playing retro games, I always go wired and CRT though.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I did some research on this and the PS4 controller is the fastest over Bluetooth, faster even compared to the same controller wired same for dualsense I think
BNY8ZXp.png
Oh this is interesting. This looks way more thorough and legit than my testings (which always have a +/- 8ms discrepancy), so I’d maybe ignore my previous post.

How did you do your testing out of curiosity? These are some neat and specific results.

Buggy Loop

I used to have a dongle for 360 but lost it I guess

Been playing with following blutooth xbox controllers and now the series' and I can't tell the difference once connected. Sometimes it seems to either connect super fast or seems to take its sweet ass time.

I played Sekiro, Armored Core 6, Hollow Knight and many other difficult games which require good timings and It was never a problem.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Oh this is interesting. This looks way more thorough and legit than my testings (which always have a +/- 8ms discrepancy), so I’d maybe ignore my previous post.

How did you do your testing out of curiosity? These are some neat and specific results.
It wasn't my test but here it is

Kataploom

Gold Member
I had to get a dongle, BT is just awful for everything except for connecting mouse and keyboard. I started kinda hating it because of how much random and inconsistent latency it brought to my controllers and because audio gets mono if you have your headset connected via BT (and have mic enabled, actually that's how I saw that Doom Eternal is constantly force enabling your mic even if you're offline for whatever reason).

the x360 one?
360_wireless_01.png

ive been using mine for 10+ years, no problems.

some things to try:
  • put it on a table, so it's not hidden behind 100 things.
  • try a different usb port, esp if it's on a blue usb 3.0 port (shouldnt make a difference, but eh you never know).
  • try syncing a different controller.
  • make sure it's a genuine product, not a knockoff.

Soodanim

BNY8ZXp.png
Does this take into account running the PS controllers through DS4Windows and bumping them up to 1000hz polling?

Top Bottom