• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is last gen holding current gen hostage?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
People say ps4 pro is reasonable for todays games and with the focus on ps5 pro where does this resinate with you with developers keeping ps4 and Xbox one involved?

bender

What time is it?
Why sell to a userbase of roughly 80 million when you can sell to a userbase of roughly 250? Big budget games will demand that size of an audience to turn a profit and it makes just as much sense for lower budget niche titles and everything in-between. With console architectures being so similar and offering backwards compatibility, cross generation is here to stay.

cireza

Hardware has been fine ever since the days of PS4, developers simply need to have better targets about what they should deliver = good fun games that run well. We are already making these back then on the NES and Master System. No amount of new hardware will solve this.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I would say majority GAF are like this, every thread about new the first thing you see people whining about graphics.
I’ll be fair to criticize myself but if the visuals or art style aren’t nice, then it’s hard to get excited about the game. Looking cool matters.

Ronin looks like turds and apparently runs like turds. Add in the fact I’ve not liked team ninja games since ninja gaiden, yet I try them all, and it’s hard to even care what it plays like. I actually think Wu Long is their best game since NG.

Caring only about graphics is a detriment for sure, but the days of getting a game that is the all around package are very rare.

Last gen is already dead, though.
I don't think it really is. On PSN for me still like 40% still game on PS4 pretty regularly playing the typical cod, Madden, 2k games. I know when a new Gen starts the old one doesn't die right away, but this feels pretty long. Were nearly 3.5 years since the launch of the new Gen and we barely got any new Gen only games from both first and third party.

Schmendrick

It's a combination of exploding development costs + diminishing returns + hardware that's not nearly strong enough for the next big leap due to the aforementioned diminishing returns.

Go_Ly_Dow

No Devs are just phoning shit in, literally
That's the problem.
I don't see it as a problem. Gotta protect your bottom line by not going all in on pointless graphics that most people don't care about.

Especially when some of the best selling games and most popuar games right now have PS2/PS3 era visuals at higher resolutions.

Last edited:

Lupin25

Pandemic played a factor in extending it, but yes, it did for awhile…

Last-gen came the rise of the GaaS format as the lead trending genre, and one of the biggest characteristics of those games is that they’re usually available on all platforms.

Most elite publishers on console have at one point in time, all been busy wasting their efforts with it (Rockstar, Rocksteady/Warner, Naughty Dog, Epic, Bethesda, DICE, Activision-Blizzard, etc.)

hussar16

Nah, they are the thing still giving us decent 60fps modes.

It's the hyper focus on graphics and production values that is keeping gaming hostage
I think because so many people constantly moan about 60fps and things that used to not matter to gamers before is why the graphics have hit a stone wall. You can't have top tier performance while pushing tech constantly

RCU005

Is graphics all you guys think about? Is that all there is to gaming to for you guys?

Apparently it's just 60fps.

I don't know when this shit started, but people used to get excited about new consoles because they meant an evolution in graphics, game design, AI, gameplay mechanics. Nowadays, people are like just give me 60fps. I don't care if the game looks like a bat N64 port.

hussar16

I don't know when this shit started, but people used to get excited about new consoles because they meant an evolution in graphics, game design, AI, gameplay mechanics. Nowadays, people are like just give me 60fps. I don't care if the game looks like a bat N64 port.
People seem to be content with fortnite like experiences as long as it's 60fps 4k 140hrtz etc devs don't even have the drive to push tech anymore becuase more people whine about 60fps

Kataploom

Gold Member
Nah, games are just too expensive to make these days and take forever, and last gen game look well enough for most people already so there's no rush to break the technical ceiling. I'm one that is good with current gaming tech, it's just not worthy the sacrifices to improve the graphics considering the hit in performance and times, until RT is cost gets under control, devs will prefer to just do what they know instead of move the industry forward or whatever some want

The pro this gen is so pointless when we literally barely have any game pushing the OG PS5 capabilities. Ok you gave me 60fps confirmed but its for a game like Rise of Ronin...wow, what a great deal...game looks last gen. PS4 brought 4K to the masses and it was a huge visual jump from 1080p t 4K, even upscaled. But this...its so pointless. If PS4 Pro sold only 14mil compared to 120ish mil of the regular PS4, PS5 pro is gonna sell like half that at best.

Topher

Gold Member

It isn't "just 60fps" but rather people wanting the option for 60fps. There have been games running at 60fps since the PS1 games. Maybe even before that.

NahaNago

It has and probably will continue since the xbox series s is a thing. I don't know why devs would skip last gen if they can port to the latest xbox s. Which is a good thing for Nintendo if they can get their new hardware close enough to the s then they can get all AAA third party games.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

No. This narrative was pushed because last-gen kept seeing strong support and it made sense, business wise.

But i dont see much of an improvement in Ps5 only software. Its essentially the same.

But I agree with Team Andromeda. Just enjoy what the likes of Elden Ring, Armored Core, Rebirth and Like a Dragon offer despite not being technical powerhouses and actually forget about DF. Enjoy what these games offer.

And its not like you would want Rebirth on your PS4. Not with these insta fast travel times the PS5 offers.

Nah, they are the thing still giving us decent 60fps modes.

It's the hyper focus on graphics and production values that is keeping gaming hostage
And? We WANT graphics and production values. Its attitudes like yours that keep companies releasing last gen trash with 60 fps. New generations are for better experiences. We would never have games like TLOU 2, RDR2, Spiderman 2, HFW, GTA 6 DS2 or any milestones in gaming with your attitude.

Top Bottom