• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is sonic frontiers any good for someone who didn't enjoy generations much?

Haven't played sonic games for years but I tried generations like 2 years ago or so and got so bored I just stopped after the first green hill zone stage.

However frontiers looks like it could be different with the open world format and whatnot.

Pros and cons. If possible rate each factor(gameplay, music, etc) out of 10.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I enjoyed it, but it's tough to recommend since I don't know what people tolerate or not. It does get repetitive. Maybe wait for a sale. But as for me, I liked pretty much the whole thing. Nothing was top tier, but all of it was above average. The gameplay loop is just fun.

1. Run around an open world and explore for collectibles
2. Light platforming / puzzle challenges sprinkled throughout the world to get collectibles
3. Race stages for S rank
4. The fighting is simple, but better than anything else in the series. Giant bosses as well.

All 4 of those elements are above average for the series, like 75-80. Graphics aren't great, but it was fine. Music was ambient, but enjoyable.

Generations was probably a more consistently polished experience overall.

Fuz

Banned
Christian Bale Idk GIF

I enjoyed it, but it's tough to recommend since I don't know what people tolerate or not. It does get repetitive. Maybe wait for a sale. But as for me, I liked pretty much the whole thing. Nothing was top tier, but all of it was above average. The gameplay loop is just fun.

1. Run around an open world and explore for collectibles
2. Light platforming / puzzle challenges sprinkled throughout the world to get collectibles
3. Race stages for S rank
4. The fighting is simple, but better than anything else in the series. Giant bosses as well.

All 4 of those elements are above average for the series, like 75-80. Graphics aren't great, but it was fine. Music was ambient, but enjoyable.

Generations was probably a more consistently polished experience overall.
Are the collectibles actually important(like upgrading stats) or just data dumps or something?

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

I didn't care for Generations either. I would say Frontiers is worth it, if you're not paying $60. It's the best Sonic has ever felt in 3D in terms of controls. The traversal around the environments is fantastic and the sense of speed is totally there. Sonic Team turned the levels into large platforming playgrounds and it mostly works but does get repetitive. There's a verticality to the platforming that I don't remember being there in other 3D Sonic games. The boss fights are pretty cool too. They took a page out of Shadow of The Colossus, but it's not quite as polished. The more traditional, Cyber Space, levels are surprisingly well done. They're pretty short, but you can tell Sonic Team actually put some effort into them. The game's not perfect by any means, but it gets bonus points for being probably the best 3D Sonic game Sonic Team has put out in a long time.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Are the collectibles actually important(like upgrading stats) or just data dumps or something?
No, not any more than collecting rings. It's just little things dotted across the map to pick up. Similar to most platformers.

Just stat boost stuff, attack, defense, HP. But the update they talked about is adding in 53 songs from past games, and I think 40 of those will be collectibles you have to find supposedly.

I have been playing it - never played any other sonic games with any sort of effort. I have enjoyed it, but I wasted immense amounts of time collecting things in world 1. It feels like you can pass through the game with almost no effort, so it ends up feeling like you're just playing because you want to.

I love the soundtrack.

Neilg

I really enjoyed it. ended up platting it within about 30 hours.
I typically dont like the 'good' 2d sidescrolling sonic games, they dont do anything for me.

Definitely not for everyone, but it scratches the same itch for me as yokus island express. it was a great 1hr per night wind down game where i could switch my brain off. some great moments through it.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
You could watch youtube videos instead of asking for the "right answer" for your question. Most people will say its fun(like Pokemon), but its a halfbake experience with dry visuals and dead brain puzzles that will get you bored easly. Not to mention its story lol
The game here started going on discount in the first week, faster than Origins who started almost 2 weeks.

But again, its better if you watch videos on youtube and take conclusions for yourself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom