• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ISPs can charge extra for fast gaming under FCC’s Internet rules, critics say

I am already paying extra for 5G, for now practically only nice download speeds, while not getting the improved ping that should also come with it. 5G is currently just some 4G enhanced, with the very same ping of 4G. So I am certainly not in the group of willing to pay extra for them finally enhancing 5G to the actual specs.
It is already good enough for online play, imho, but hardly on par with the supposed to match average wired connections.
I now also wonder if anything but gaming needs any priority. Nothing else is really better or worse with some lag and buffering which only gaming just does not allow.

Last edited:

YCoCg

American ISP stuff is always fascinating, you guys get screwed over a lot. You have my sympathies from my 1Gb Fibre home line with unlimited data that doesn't cost an insane amount.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
This is exactly what people were saying would happen several years ago when they gutted net neutrality.

Pretends To Be Shocked Fake Shock GIF by AIDES

Metnut

Excellent policy. Deadbeat online gamers should pay for the bandwidth they use. Single player gamers shouldn’t have to subsidize them.

LordCBH

Internet in America fucking sucks. And then when you complain someone almost always says “just get different providers”, but most people can’t. A lot of places have one, MAYBE two providers because they come in, make contracts with the cities to keep other providers out (should be illegal as fuck), and then offer shit service to the area. If I want to change from Comcast, I’d have to move to the other side of the city. How is that acceptable?

Last edited:

El Muerto

The ISP Cox offered an "Elite Gamer Service" that supposed to lower pings. I had it added to my plan automatically somehow and i noticed no difference. It was a total cash grab and was discontinued.

SoloCamo

American ISP stuff is always fascinating, you guys get screwed over a lot. You have my sympathies from my 1Gb Fibre home line with unlimited data that doesn't cost an insane amount.

Depends on you area. Spectrum used to be the only player in town and offered at max ($120 per month) 1gbps down / 30mbps (yes, it;s ridiculously that bad on upload) but now I can get 1gbps up & down for $50 a month with no data caps from new fiber companies servicing the area. It's all about competition.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The 5g being a savior for cloud gaming thing, particularly the idea of it being possible while actually mobile (like on a train) was always made up bullshit.

Every time a new wireless tech comes out it’s marketed with the speeds / latency under ideal and controlled circumstances.

All wireless tech suffers from congestion and latency spikes, not to mention there’s no perfect solution for switching towers while on the move.

Its better than past wireless standards and useable for gaming under great conditions (if you luck out) but it was never going to be superior to most wired techs like so many people spread misinfo about here and elsewhere.

Last edited:

SoloCamo

American greed. Yes its on broadband, not mobile.

You can read about the cap from comcast website below.

and here. https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/23/21591420/comcast-cap-data-1-2tb-home-users-internet-xfinity

No no, just lack of competition and laws not preventing it from happening. I worked for a Wireless ISP (point to point only) a decade ago and we were charging people $100 for the 'gamer package'.... it was 1mbps with data caps. We serviced Texas, NM, Arizona, and others where there were no service providers. We could have easily provided more but no competition = profits. I didn't last long there as I had to leave to find somewhere to work that wasn't screwing people over so badly.

Last edited:
No no, just lack of competition and laws not preventing it from happening. I worked for a Wireless ISP (point to point only) a decade ago and we were charging people $100 for the 'gamer package'.... it was 1mbps with data caps. We serviced Texas, NM, Arizona, and others where there were no service providers. We could have easily provided more but no competition = profits. I didn't last long there as I had to leave to find somewhere to work that wasn't screwing people over so badly.
1mbps?? Thats terrible. I haven't had that slow of speed since the DSL days in the 90s.

I have 1000mbps internet now with no data caps. Its also called gigabit internet. They are talking about introducing data caps for the slower speeds but not for gigabit.

I have spectrum now. Google Fiber is in my city but has not yet expanded to my house yet.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
bu-bu-but the compassionate isps would never do this! teh invisible hand! government regulation is bad!

man, i remember people on this very forum arguing that killing net neutrality was good and they did because it was their team doing it

Yonyx

Americans can thank this bastard for screwing up with net neutrality in the USA.

49Gdzj0.jpeg

That kind of decisions are made by big corporations that lobby to pressure X government. Afterwards, those people who are in the government become executives/advisors of those big companies thanks to the favors they've done before. Although many times they are first in a big corporation and then enter the government, and it's not like they need to apply much pressure either... The point is that eventually it's the same people who make those decisions that go against consumers but in favor of business profits.

It's very simplistic and naive to think that such a decision is made by a single person who decides that one morning.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

Companies realize gamers will pony up more cash. Hell, some console gamers seem happy to pay a fee in their walled gardens to play online.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

bu-bu-but the compassionate isps would never do this! teh invisible hand! government regulation is bad!

man, i remember people on this very forum arguing that killing net neutrality was good and they did because it was their team doing it
Very true.
Was only a matter of time with the elimination of net neutrality, thanks to the Orange retard.

They are all fucking idiots. The current guy sadly invents stories on a daily basis. Including an uncle being eaten by cannibals.

Yonyx

They are all fucking idiots. The current guy sadly invents stories on a daily basis. Including an uncle being eaten by cannibals.
Biden also made up the story that he had seen 'verified' images of Hamas terrorists beheading children, among many other lies.

Cyberpunkd

Right, the infrastructure isnt even built to withstand the demand for EV charging if it was required of everyone, or ISPs having bandwith to service over hundred of millions of people with high speed data whe they already have data limits each month. Its all a pipe dream for short term profits and long term consequences.
And yet in Europe data caps are not a thing since 20 years ago. Are you telling me the infrastructure in the US is so bad?

And yet in Europe data caps are not a thing since 20 years ago. Are you telling me the infrastructure in the US is so bad?
Well....yes. There are large patches of the US that dont have modern internet speeds due to poor infrastructure and being far way from the proximity of major metropolitan areas. Some people live in areas where the best speed for home internet is Tmobile. Not to say Tmobile isnt a good company, but I dont think they come close to the reliability of companies like Comcast and AT&T.

Puscifer

I'm out of touch. I can't imagine anyone being so hardcore to spend extra money to have a dedicated connection to game on a phone or tablet. But then I'm reminded of this and then I think this is a legitimate business model:

In Japan 7/11s sold 3DS hotspot combos with Monster Hunter

Top Bottom