• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's tax time (in the US)

Scotracer

Neo Member
I always owe money and a lot of it too.

Fucking stupid taxes.

Surely that is the best way to do it? You're not giving the government a free loan? I'm British so probably wrong since like 90% of people never need to file taxes.

Last edited:

LordCBH

I still don’t have my fuckin W2 cause the company that handles that fucked ours up, and won’t give us a time frame for a fix. They probably don’t give a shit since we switched to a new system this year either. Probably sitting there like “y’all ain’t our customers anymore so why should we care?”

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I still don’t have my fuckin W2 cause the company that handles that fucked ours up, and won’t give us a time frame for a fix. They probably don’t give a shit since we switched to a new system this year either. Probably sitting there like “y’all ain’t our customers anymore so why should we care?”
You can let the IRS know and they will contact the company on your behalf. Nothing like getting a nudge from the IRS.

LordCBH

You can let the IRS know and they will contact the company on your behalf. Nothing like getting a nudge from the IRS.

Best believe I’m gonna be doing that. Thanks!!

Lasha

I owe every year. It's better that way.

Always hated waiting anxiously for the government to give me my money back. I like to hold onto my own money throughout the year, possibly invest it, etc.

The revenue service where I live has no withholding at all. Everybody owes at tax day. Taxpayers are given the choice of paying the tax as a lump sum or as a series of 12 interest free payments. The system makes so much more sense than the mess caused by withholding.

I always wonder what percentage of people that get a refund understand the government isn't paying them, the refund is their change.(IE if you go to McDonalds and your food cost $15 and you give them $20 McDonalds isn't paying you $5 to eat their food.)

Basically none going by the tech threads for stuff releasing around now. People are shit with money. The median american only has like 4k liquid for a reason.

GeekyDad

22c0a296a8e38b06fa80b0bfea086633.jpg

I couldn't find a good Google result for this, so thought I'd ask here:

Because the company I work for is in another state, I accidentally overpaid on my 2022 state taxes. Long story short, I won't be able to file an amended return for a refund, either.

It's my understanding that the IRS and state revenue departments know exactly what you owe them, so my question is: How and why do the IRS and state tax departments allow dumbasses to overpay on taxes? They took one look at my return and said:

Crazy Eyes Meme GIF by MOODMAN
lWERnXv.jpg

Last edited:

Trilobit

The Simpsons IRS episode has been seared into my brain ever since childhood. It's the only thing I know about the American tax system.

Hey hey hey, everyone, it's that time of year again!

One of my ducks wasn't in a row, so I got side-swiped by additional taxes this year to the tune of a couple grand! It's very frustrating! I hate it! I'm using exclamation points to convey my frustration!

Hope you all are getting big, fat refunds! And if you're not, it's because you didn't intend to! I'm using exclamation points to emphasize my sentiment!

Paltheos

I think my last forms are in. Haven't bothered checking yet - I plan to punch it all out at the end of the month. I am looking forward to a chunky return this year... but only because of a LTCL I suffered (bad enough that I'll have a little capital loss left to carryforward). :(

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Because, money. It's pretty much you paying companies that lobby the government to make you pay these companies that lobby the government. Fun.
There is also a philosophy that if the government "does it for you" then they can just raise taxes and it will be largely invisible to people. Making folks do it for themselves each year raises awareness of how much you are actually paying.

Cohetedor

I made almost 10% less last year than 22 and may not get a refund, taxes suck. At least my return is simple enough I can do it myself and not have to pay for it

Brazen

Started selling on eBay late 2022 as a side hustle, I guess I didn't sell enough to matter as I never got a 1099 last year. However I did so this year at just shy of 10k in gross sales.
I have all the receipts on purchases of the products sold, shipping cost, etc and I'm assuming it's best to go to a tax accountant in person rather than do it all on a program? Should I have a spreadsheet ready rather than showing up with a mountain of receipts? What's the best way to do this?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My state had a huge surplus in revenue last year that they somehow just "forgot" to spend. Good news for me, as I'm getting a "kicker" back on my state taxes - nearly $7,500.

Because, money. It's pretty much you paying companies that lobby the government to make you pay these companies that lobby the government. Fun.
That’s how it works in every industry.

Companies get paid by customers, get paid by the government, and get to bribe politicians to get themselves more paid.

Jinzo Prime

Started selling on eBay late 2022 as a side hustle, I guess I didn't sell enough to matter as I never got a 1099 last year. However I did so this year at just shy of 10k in gross sales.
I have all the receipts on purchases of the products sold, shipping cost, etc and I'm assuming it's best to go to a tax accountant in person rather than do it all on a program? Should I have a spreadsheet ready rather than showing up with a mountain of receipts? What's the best way to do this?
Yes, go to a certified public accountant and hire them to do your taxes, don't be like my friend and have to pay the IRS in back taxes every year!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Keep the receipts for your records, but for the accountant just give them your spreadsheet summary of income/expenses and copy of any 1099s. They will ask if they need more detail. It sounds to me like you’re a disregarded entity so your hustle will show up on your individual tax return as a Schedule C. The tax on your actual net income isn’t that impactful; rather what you will have to be mindful of going forward is self-employment tax cuz you essentially have to pay your own social security and medicare. Your accountant will probably get you estimate vouchers for 2024 in addition to your 2023 return.

Top Bottom