• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's the time of year for horror movies, what are you watching?

Blade2.0

If you watch the new Halloween films please share your thoughts. Lots of divided opinions for the last two but I enjoyed them all.

Not counting the original, Halloween Kills (the 2nd one) is my personal favorite now, the overall vibe is masterful to me and the way they filmed Michael in the dark, man he looks cool as fuck!

On that note, H20 is really underrated IMO. Gets a lot of hate but if you marathon the OG movies I find it's hard to argue that it isn't one of the best ones.
I feel ends makes kills retroactively stupid.

in the first one and kills he was clearly surviving shit that would have killed normal people. Trying to step that back in ends was stupid to me. I feel like he should have been supernatural or at least super powerful and the town should have all worked together to stop him. That would have been a lot cooler to me.

Laieon

So, if we're planning on doing the 31 Nights thing, is this the thread for it? Or are we making a new one?

I don't think this forum is active enough to warrant two horror movie threads, I'd be fine with sticking to this one. I've done 31/31 the past 6 or 7 years I'm looking forward to starting it tomorrow. I wish games were as easy to track though, because I'd love to be able to have a convenient way to count horror games in that 31/31 somehow.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
fart town usa fart town usa following up on your recomendation--The Wailing. holy shit brother I had no idea what I was getting myself into... that ending blew my fucking mind. After reading about it online I'm just floored. Loved the subtle humor throughout the movie, akin to memories of murder which is one of my all time fav movies. Just realized it's same director of the Watcher which I thought was excellent too. Korean cinema is really top notch

My wife and I were walking the dog tonight and any noise she heard had her terrified a Japanese man was about to emerge 😂

not a single jump scare in the movie too, impressive 😔

need more recs pls

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Tonight I'm gonna watch "Talk to me", hope it's not a steaming pile of shite like No one can save you was, wish me luck...

So, watched it last night aaaaand...it was OK/nice, definitely not a waste of time.

Acting was solid and atmosphere was OK - nothing mind boggling but OK.
Story/plot-wise was also OK, nothing original but...

Not one of the best horror movies out there but, for what it was and tried to do it was decent.

Solid 6.5-7/10

fart town usa fart town usa following up on your recomendation--The Wailing. holy shit brother I had no idea what I was getting myself into... that ending blew my fucking mind. After reading about it online I'm just floored. Loved the subtle humor throughout the movie, akin to memories of murder which is one of my all time fav movies. Just realized it's same director of the Watcher which I thought was excellent too. Korean cinema is really top notch

My wife and I were walking the dog tonight and any noise she heard had her terrified a Japanese man was about to emerge 😂

need more recs pls
Sorry - which one was this for mate?

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

need more recs pls
Watch The Medium.

Mr Blobby

not sure what I have planned for this October but I watched The Wicker Man for the first time about a week back. The heavy handed Christianity espousing is a bit daggy, but it does the something-to-hide-village thing so well. But...
he couldn't break through that pissant matchstick door to save his life?!

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'd like to see some genuinely thrilling, anxiety inducing horror movies that don't rely on excessive gore and cheesy jump scares. I quit watching horror movies a long time ago because so many of them are based on the bad guy jumping out and slashing people to get reactions.

I'd like to see some genuinely thrilling, anxiety inducing horror movies that don't rely on excessive gore and cheesy jump scares. I quit watching horror movies a long time ago because so many of them are based on the bad guy jumping out and slashing people to get reactions.
For me, found footage movies hit that sweet spot of "tension without exploitation."

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Try other subgenres that aren't slashers

near

Gold Member
Evil Dead Rises just hit Netflix here, I've been looking forward to watching this. So I'll start off with Evil Dead (2013) then watch the Evil Dead Rises. Then I plan to watch a couple horror series rather than films, The Haunting of Hill House and Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities have been on my list for a while. I think I started an episode of Cabinet of Curiosities, but never got around to finishing it.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll

Dunno watch Martyrs or In my Skin maybe?

So this is the 31 Days of Horror OT then? Feels a bit off tbh.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I was camping this weekend but watched a bit of 'Nightwish' cause I had it downloaded from YouTube. What a stupid movie but so dumb that it was interesting/entertaining.

Took the WiiU and my camera gear as well.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'd watch The Wailing. I've mentioned it like 2 times already but it would also fit the bill for what you're looking for.

Superdeep is another cool movie but compeltely different from The Wailing. Superdeep is kind of like The Thing in that it's just mounting dread in an isolated lab. Got roasted by reviewers but never understood why, it's filmed great, has a good OST and is just a solid film overall. It was exclusive to Shudder but that was like 2 years ago, it's probably on other services now.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I watched The Thing tonight, with three other people. Everyone seemed to like it. I enjoyed it. I wish it kind of hit me a little harder but it was fun enough. The monster was great. Stole every scene, lol.

The only thing that bothered me about it was the fact that the group didn't have a POWOW as soon as they learned what they were up against. Felt like that bunch should have been intelligent enough to devise a strategy ASAP. Still, great way to kick off October.

Thanks for the rec clarky, fart town usa, and Grildon Tundy

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Someone please create the 31 Days of Horror 2023 thread
Unfortunately I can't create topics here yet, but don't let the tradition die
If anyone wants, I've already made a bannner, and you can use it:

Here are the old threads for those who want to know more about it:
2022 - https://www.neogaf.com/threads/31-days-of-horror-ot-2022-nobody-is-coming-to-save-you.1642265/
2021 - https://www.neogaf.com/threads/31-days-of-horror-invasion-ot-the-october-movie-marathon.1619699/
2020 - https://www.neogaf.com/threads/31-days-of-horror-the-ravenous-ot-the-october-movie-marathon.1567775/

Done!

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
MV5BMTk2Mjc2NzYxNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTA2OTA1NDM@._V1_.jpg

Watched this yesterday. Harrowing, beautiful, intriguing.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Sure is! We always do Shocktober in this house, our anniversary is on Halloween and it's actually 10 years this time round. Usually involves steak and a horror movie.

Our list for this year looks like this, can always change:

New
Talk To Me
Infinity Pool (rollover from last year)
Cobweb

Old 4K Restorations
Pet Sematary
Hellraiser 2
The Exorcist
Frankenstein
The Birds
Prince of Darkness

Misc Old
Dead Ringers
Possession
Sleepaway Camp

fart town usa

Gold Member
Sure is! We always do Shocktober in this house, our anniversary is on Halloween and it's actually 10 years this time round. Usually involves steak and a horror movie.

Our list for this year looks like this, can always change:

New
Talk To Me
Infinity Pool (rollover from last year)
Cobweb

Old 4K Restorations
Pet Sematary
Hellraiser 2
The Exorcist
Frankenstein
The Birds
Prince of Darkness

Misc Old
Dead Ringers
Possession
Sleepaway Camp
Great movies all around. Kudos to Prince of Darkness, love that movie. Watch it every October.

hollams

Gold Member
I watched the first episode of Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities and it was awful. Nothing scary about it and the writing wasn't great either.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Watch The Medium.

I watched this based on your rec. Found footage + Korean-made + possession = I'm interested.

Definitely some memorable and effective scenes, it's beautifully made, and Ming is a cutie. But once the ritual at the end goes haywire and it becomes clear that no one's getting out unscathed, I sort of dropped out.

Really wish that Nim (the aunt) was alive for the ritual and/or that there was some sense of hope that things could turn out alright (even if it's squashed in the end). Just watching things play out horribly and inevitably didn't hold my attention. And Nim was the character I was most intrigued by, so once she was out of the picture I sort of lost interest.

Blade2.0

I watched this based on your rec. Found footage + Korean-made + possession = I'm interested.

Definitely some memorable and effective scenes, it's beautifully made, and Ming is a cutie. But once the ritual at the end goes haywire and it becomes clear that no one's getting out unscathed, I sort of dropped out.

Really wish that Nim (the aunt) was alive for the ritual and/or that there was some sense of hope that things could turn out alright (even if it's squashed in the end). Just watching things play out horribly and inevitably didn't hold my attention. And Nim was the character I was most intrigued by, so once she was out of the picture I sort of lost interest.
Looks good, but it was a Thai-Korean collab. I'll have to watch it.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

Yeah it was pretty bleak

I'm watching a horror movie called fart town usa fart town usa . It's a movie about a psychiatric patient who broke out of his cell and breaks into people's houses and farts on them. He sometimes sharts in their face. He has a mutagen in his body that causes people to turn into purple hair wokers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom